Registration Question...

Got a badass ride, post it up. Cars, trucks, bikes, trikes, whatever rolls or flies.
Murgatroy
Has liked: 0
Been liked: 0

Registration Question...

Post by Murgatroy » Sun Jan 20, 2013 7:05 pm

So my daily driver is thankfully back to project status with the acquisition of a new daily driver.

This leads to some questions.

Her motor popped, so she won't be going anywhere on her own for a while, so I dropped her from my insurance. Do I need to report this to the DMV? I know I will still have to pay property taxes on her, which is a new thing as well since I just moved up here. They waived it when I got my tags, but I suspect it is going to a whopping $20 when I renew.

The last thing I want is to wind up having to pay a fine or some crap when I get her new engine in her.

In Tennessee I just had to sign an affidavit stating that she had not been driven on public roads for X amount of time and they would allow the registration to lapse with or without insurance.

And just for the fun, here are the pictures of the old daily and the new.

Chaos is a `90 Celica. Harmony is a `13 Mustang.
Yoda for President

Jff24Gordn
KAC Member
KAC Member

Re: Registration Question...

Post by Jff24Gordn » Sun Jan 20, 2013 7:13 pm

I told the DMV that my truck was in pieces and parked and all they have me do is pay the taxes.

Toddstang
Global Mod
Global Mod
Has liked: 145 times
Been liked: 98 times

Post by Toddstang » Sun Jan 20, 2013 7:17 pm

I told the DMV I was rebuilding my 66 Mustang and they gave me some type of idle papers to keep until I got it running again. Cost like $45 for two years. Forget what it was called though.

etownguy
KAC Member
KAC Member
Been liked: 5 times

Registration Question...

Post by etownguy » Sun Jan 20, 2013 7:20 pm

No need to report no insurance in Ky. Just have to have it when you pay for tags "taxes".

86 slo-vo
KAC Member
KAC Member

Registration Question...

Post by 86 slo-vo » Sun Jan 20, 2013 7:29 pm

Just cancel the insurance and turn in the plate.

When you get it ready to drive again just take a copy of new insurance and pick up new plate. Done it several times.
Marcus wrote:KAC, marrying above their league since 2012.

Murgatroy

Post by Murgatroy » Sun Jan 20, 2013 7:42 pm

The plate is the sticky issue, I have a vanity plate and I don't want to lose it.

If she has to remain insured to registered, I guess I could keep her on, she is only like $20 a month, I just don't see a reason to pay that $20 if I am not driving her.

When I stroll down to the DMV to turn in my dealer issue plate for a vanity plate, I will inquire then as to what it takes.

I have custom plates on all my cars.
Yoda for President

Dave1965
KAC Member
KAC Member
Been liked: 23 times

Post by Dave1965 » Sun Jan 20, 2013 8:07 pm

My old state farm insurance had what they called removed from use or something like that. Was kept on the insurance for like $10.

Jff24Gordn
KAC Member
KAC Member

Post by Jff24Gordn » Sun Jan 20, 2013 10:06 pm

I still have the plate that was on my truck when I parked it, but it has farm tags.

Murgatroy

Post by Murgatroy » Sun Jan 20, 2013 11:03 pm

Jff24Gordn wrote:I still have the plate that was on my truck when I parked it, but it has farm tags.
What would it take to make her street legal again? Just pay the registration?

That is the thing that has messed with me the most since the move, the vehicle laws up here are very different than in Tennessee, or at least I am understanding them differently.

I spend a lot of time trolling Craigslist, found a lot of great deals there from time to time. I see folks advertising cars with no title as they have been 'scrapped.' What is that? Turning the title in so you don't have to pay property taxes on it anymore?

My understanding is that you have to pay 1% of the NADA book value on the car a year for taxes. Is this correct? Because even so, that still comes out cheaper here than it did in Tennessee and not having to pay taxes. It cost me $100 a year, per car in Tennessee. Plus $20 every time the plate changed. I cost me $60 per car when I moved up here, including the plate fee.

At 1% property tax per car, I will be coming out about even, or maybe a little over compared to Tennessee with three car. So I am hoping that number is right. I never asked. I was in shock that not only was an inspection (cough... dog and pony VIN show... cough...) required, but that my car passed it.

For the record, I was pulled over several months later and did some required reading on Kentucky exhaust laws. Interesting stuff...
Yoda for President

Jff24Gordn
KAC Member
KAC Member

Post by Jff24Gordn » Sun Jan 20, 2013 11:20 pm

I let my tag expire and canceled the insurance on it. It wont be street driven again, but if I wanted to, I would just start the insurance back up and pay for more tags. I am currently paying the tax every year on it.

Return to “Vehicles”