head gasket issues

Got a badass ride, post it up. Cars, trucks, bikes, trikes, whatever rolls or flies.
etownguy
KAC Member
KAC Member
Has liked: 0
Been liked: 5 times

head gasket issues

Post by etownguy » Sat Dec 15, 2012 6:34 pm

You sure you own a mustang :?

justang1997
KAC Member
KAC Member
Been liked: 0

Re: head gasket issues

Post by justang1997 » Sun Dec 16, 2012 2:05 am

etownguy wrote:You sure you own a mustang :?
lmao

Wyldman
KAC Member
KAC Member

Re: head gasket issues

Post by Wyldman » Sun Dec 16, 2012 7:45 am

A compressor is very nearly a "must have" if you are going to do this kind of work with any frequency. I'm glad you figured it out and got it fixed w/o too much trouble.

Torque to yield head bolts do need to be replaced once they have been torqued, always. If you don't, two things are likely: first, you'll never get the proper clamping force necessary on the head because they will have stretched, and second: you will almost invariably break the bolt off in the hole by continuing to torque it further. I have never been able to figure out the rationale for insisting on using disposable fasteners by OEM's. Most of the time, if I encounter them in a build/rebuild I'm doing, I just replace them with ARP studs & go on about my business. Yes, they cost a bit more, but you can reuse them and not have to buy complete sets of replacements everytime you have to open one up.

Thermostat housings are famous for warping and then cracking when you try to tighten them down. You can get away with it maybe 1 time in 5, if you're lucky. This is the same regardless of manufacturer, one of those stupid universal constants in dealing with mechanicals.
IN GOD WE TRUST

"That boy's paradigm don't always add up to four nickels...."

justang1997
KAC Member
KAC Member

head gasket issues

Post by justang1997 » Mon Dec 17, 2012 8:43 am

One of the main reasons I don't have any air tools yet is it seems I'm always doing repairs at night. Its the only time I have and I'm sure air tools would wake up my kids and maybe my neighbors. Now if only I could get an unattached garage with a lift built....

Return to “Vehicles”