The 4Runner project

Got a badass ride, post it up. Cars, trucks, bikes, trikes, whatever rolls or flies.
Robert Paulson
KAC Member
KAC Member
Has liked: 0
Been liked: 0

The 4Runner project

Post by Robert Paulson » Thu May 24, 2012 10:05 pm

So is starting to work on this thing finally.

Plans
4 inch lift
33 inch BFg km2s
New front and rear bumpers.
Tube doors
Locker
Winch
Roll cage per the wife's request
I want to paint it aswell but don't know where to go with it but I am leaning tword some kind of snow camo. But I don't know

First things first it needs a radiator and some new front axel seals.

Ian
KAC Member
KAC Member

Re: The 4Runner project

Post by Ian » Fri May 25, 2012 7:05 am

I always wanted a trail truck that was road vest green.
"Not all men seek rest and peace; some are born with the spirit of the storm in their blood, restless harbingers of violence and bloodshed, knowing no other path." Robert Howard

Ian
KAC Member
KAC Member

Post by Ian » Fri May 25, 2012 7:05 am

Looks like you have a nice project on your hands though! Keep this thread updated.
"Not all men seek rest and peace; some are born with the spirit of the storm in their blood, restless harbingers of violence and bloodshed, knowing no other path." Robert Howard

Till
KAC Member
KAC Member

Post by Till » Fri May 25, 2012 7:49 am

I'm jealous searched for one before my 06
---------------------Integrity, Honesty, Discipline, Respect-------------------------
WLJ wrote:Damn I need to install a Till filter.
GeminiXD9 wrote:I hope your fu**in car falls apart while your doing 70 on the highway

Niceguy
KAC Member
KAC Member
Has liked: 327 times
Been liked: 92 times

Post by Niceguy » Fri May 25, 2012 9:23 am

I have a 84 SR5 turd brown (the official color name I'm pretty sure, haha)... Mine has a 4" Superlift brand lift and 32x11.50 KM2's Weber 38/38 carb, Trailgear long tube header and 2 1/4" stainless exhaust and Flowmaster. Also put a small Fosters can size catalytic converter for much needed torque and to make it not OBNOXIOUSLY loud. It would clear a little bigger tire but it still has the bumper skirt and I didn't want to take any chances of tires hitting anything while playing. Found some rust under the fender trim so whole set up may change now. It's immaculate 66,000 mile truck with power everything, A/C and wanted to keep it mostly original looking but the rust pissed me off so I may go wild with it now...haha The snow camo would be freaking sweet! I won't still your idea though...haha Most everything is cheap I've found so far and pretty easy to work on. I would HIGHLY recommend an electric fan to you also. It made a huge difference in power on mine!

Marcus
Founding Father
Founding Father
Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 62 times

The 4Runner project

Post by Marcus » Fri May 25, 2012 9:52 am

Turd brown was the most popular color because it matched the rust that most of those seem to have come from the factory with.
Mandy wrote:I meant Marcus post, he's like ninja slicer, he's nice he's nice he's nice, ....SWISH... he cuts your effin head off ;)

Till
KAC Member
KAC Member

Post by Till » Fri May 25, 2012 9:59 am

Might be rusting but outrunning most
---------------------Integrity, Honesty, Discipline, Respect-------------------------
GeminiXD9 wrote:I hope your fu**in car falls apart while your doing 70 on the highway

DDgunslinger

Post by DDgunslinger » Fri May 25, 2012 10:36 am

... I will have a 4Runner someday

Robert Paulson
KAC Member
KAC Member

Post by Robert Paulson » Fri May 25, 2012 11:10 am

niceguyr6 wrote:I have a 84 SR5 turd brown (the official color name I'm pretty sure, haha)... Mine has a 4" Superlift brand lift and 32x11.50 KM2's Weber 38/38 carb, Trailgear long tube header and 2 1/4" stainless exhaust and Flowmaster. Also put a small Fosters can size catalytic converter for much needed torque and to make it not OBNOXIOUSLY loud. It would clear a little bigger tire but it still has the bumper skirt and I didn't want to take any chances of tires hitting anything while playing. Found some rust under the fender trim so whole set up may change now. It's immaculate 66,000 mile truck with power everything, A/C and wanted to keep it mostly original looking but the rust pissed me off so I may go wild with it now...haha The snow camo would be freaking sweet! I won't still your idea though...haha Most everything is cheap I've found so far and pretty easy to work on. I would HIGHLY recommend an electric fan to you also. It made a huge difference in power on mine!

yeah mine has some small body rust issues but the bed liner took care of most of that for now. yeah i might look into the electric fan. My truck being an auto doesn;t have tons of power to spare.

Niceguy
KAC Member
KAC Member

Post by Niceguy » Fri May 25, 2012 11:15 am

There's a very good chance your right Marcus...haha it has VERY little rust on this one. I sandblasted the frame and POR15 rust proofed the whole under side. I've had a 84 and 88 4x4 truck and an 89 and 90 4Runners and finally have the solid front axle Toyota I want. I've been a Toyota 4x4 guy since I was a little kid and saw the 85 ex cab truck in Back to the Future...hahaha. Has your fenders and quarters been repaired or is it just in that good of shape Robert? I'll figure out how to post pict's sometime. I'm terribly technology challenged...haha

Robert Paulson
KAC Member
KAC Member

Post by Robert Paulson » Fri May 25, 2012 11:18 am

DDgunslinger wrote:... I will have a 4Runner someday
Just like before you will see some new stock you will need to have and get distracted.

"Shiney red ball"

Robert Paulson
KAC Member
KAC Member

Post by Robert Paulson » Fri May 25, 2012 11:21 am

heres my 86 pick up i sold a few years back.

with my new at the time tundra. I am a sucker for toyota's trying to talk the wife into a new 4runner.

Niceguy
KAC Member
KAC Member

Post by Niceguy » Fri May 25, 2012 11:49 am

I've seen that before...I'm an Oldham Co guy. I grew up in Crystal Lake, Croftboro Farms, Heather Hills. All the early 4Runners seem underpowered. I did the carb and exhaust together and the fan separate. They all three made a HUGE difference. It wouldn't hold 55 mph up a hill when it was bone stock, tires and all. It will hold 70-75 on the interstate with the A/C on now with 32" tires and it still has stock gears for now.

DDgunslinger

Post by DDgunslinger » Fri May 25, 2012 12:08 pm

Robert Paulson wrote:
DDgunslinger wrote:... I will have a 4Runner someday
Just like before you will see some new stock you will need to have and get distracted.

"Shiney red ball"

hahaha probably

Robert Paulson
KAC Member
KAC Member

Post by Robert Paulson » Fri May 25, 2012 12:31 pm

niceguyr6 wrote:I've seen that before...I'm an Oldham Co guy. I grew up in Crystal Lake, Croftboro Farms, Heather Hills. All the early 4Runners seem underpowered. I did the carb and exhaust together and the fan separate. They all three made a HUGE difference. It wouldn't hold 55 mph up a hill when it was bone stock, tires and all. It will hold 70-75 on the interstate with the A/C on now with 32" tires and it still has stock gears for now.

how hard was the fan conversion?

Niceguy
KAC Member
KAC Member

Post by Niceguy » Fri May 25, 2012 1:34 pm

Not bad at all if you have basic wiring abilities and can follow directions. I got a very good kit from Summit that had everything in the kit and wasn't bad at all. I can't remember the brand but it actually said it was for the Toyota's. Good instructions and very complete, automatic and hassle free and looks very good also... It's good for engines up to 300-350 HP so it will definitely cover your needs...

Mexican Kerry
KAC Member
KAC Member
Been liked: 12 times

Post by Mexican Kerry » Sun May 27, 2012 8:14 pm

Might look into the electric fan idea as well. My '86 SR5 is running a backyard build 22r that's pretty tired but I'm not ready to do a complete engine swap yet. I'd like to find a wrecked FJ Cruiser to rob the entire drivetrain from.

Mine has very little done to it but I'm going to put 5.29 gears from Yukon in it and am trying to decide what to do about lockers. Thinking locker in front and limited slip in the rear. Is this stupid? Or should I just fork out the cash and go air/elect in the rear?

Wife has '97 SR5 with V6, nothing done to it except tires. Good off road but since it was the grocery getter I couldn't really to too wild with it. Probably selling it soon, since it is too small for the army now.

If I could afford it I'd buy her a new one. I also want to put some jump seats (from an old FJ) in the '86 so all four kids can fit.

Robert Paulson
KAC Member
KAC Member

Post by Robert Paulson » Mon May 28, 2012 10:10 am

who knew there were so many toyota guys on here

Mudcat
KAC Member
KAC Member

Post by Mudcat » Mon May 28, 2012 11:56 am

Here's a pic of the last Yota we built. Lots and lots of stuff, 4.88s, lockers both ends, double transfer case doubler, Marlin shafts, hydraulic assist power steering, of course removed the IFS and put a solid front in, custom bed on board air, shock hoops the lists goes on. Pic is with 35s it was awesome with 37s. Truck had tons of flex and was stupid low geared. We did this as a father son project when my son was 15, we sold firewood and poured pole barn floors to pay for it all.

Niceguy
KAC Member
KAC Member

Post by Niceguy » Mon May 28, 2012 12:17 pm

If it is a 22R and not a 22RE I would recommend a new Weber and header also. Those two items on mine made it not bad powerwise. Before those two pieces mine was pretty much dangerous to drive it was so underpowered with 32's. The supercharged 3.4L's make a pretty cool swap as well... They fit well also since they used the 3.0's in the 87-88 and newer truck and 4Runners and they are basically same engine. Even the non-supercharged 3.4's run circles around the 3.0's though. I'll eventually get around to pulling my 22R and building a nasty little engine out of it but it's not too bad for now. Gears will make it do most anything I want to do with it for now. It needs some kind of aftermarket or larger brakes on it now. Everything is new on it and they are f'ing scary having to stop quick! hahaha The back seats they sale for the jeeps and Yamaha Rhino's fit pretty well between the wheel wells and factory roll bar. Yoda's RULE! They don't have anywhere near the wannabe, mall jeep type people driving them either...haha

Robert Paulson
KAC Member
KAC Member

Post by Robert Paulson » Mon May 28, 2012 1:04 pm

awesome pics mud cat i hope i can order my lift this week.

Jakob
KAC Member
KAC Member

Post by Jakob » Mon May 28, 2012 4:32 pm

Can't wait for this build!
Livewire wrote:I remember when this was a free country and not a fascist one filled with limp wristed, tender hearted, liver lipped bunch of whiny ass cry babies.

Till
KAC Member
KAC Member

Post by Till » Mon May 28, 2012 4:54 pm

Need any help let me know I've put on a few lifts haha

You have air and tools? Torch? Impact? Jacks? Wd40? Snacks?

Robert Paulson
KAC Member
KAC Member

Post by Robert Paulson » Mon May 28, 2012 8:22 pm

Till wrote:Need any help let me know I've put on a few lifts haha

You have air and tools? Torch? Impact? Jacks? Wd40? Snacks?

yeah i did the lift on the 86. i have everything but a torch. and my wife is a good cook.

i am gonna strip it down and clean up the frame and the front end. then paint it with some paint we make at work. but i will never pass up a little help for sure.

Till
KAC Member
KAC Member

Post by Till » Mon May 28, 2012 8:43 pm

Yeah lemme know I

MIGHT be able to borrow a torch to

Return to “Vehicles”