Dash cams

Got a badass ride, post it up. Cars, trucks, bikes, trikes, whatever rolls or flies.
Pitbullcrazyinky
KAC Member
KAC Member
Has liked: 0
Been liked: 0

Dash cams

Post by Pitbullcrazyinky » Wed Apr 26, 2017 1:37 pm

Wanting a couple dash cams for are cars. What are you guys using or recommend.
Not looking to spend alot

ProCroation
KAC Member
KAC Member
Been liked: 3 times

Re: Dash cams

Post by ProCroation » Thu Jun 01, 2017 1:04 am

Viofo A119 or the Thinkware F50 and either one will keep you under $100 each
A cop stopped me on the street and said "we're looking for a mugger who fits your description" , so I said "okay I'll do it".

ProCroation
KAC Member
KAC Member

Post by ProCroation » Thu Jun 01, 2017 1:14 am

Let me just add...I'm running the Viofo A119 at my front windshield and the Thinkware F50 in my rear window. I'm trying to see which one I like the most and will probably just get two of the same thing.

A119 Pro's:
Quiet...never makes noise unless I push menu buttons.
Set it and forget it...literally plug it in and you're kind of done unless you like to tinker with settings.
Has a built in screen for playback mode.
Stands up to high heat.

Cons:
You have to use a generic video viewer on your pc to review footage...or just watch each clip straight from the memory card, one at a time. Either way...it's not as clean looking as the Thinkware viewing software.
Slight fishbowl look from having such a wide angle.
Doesn't seem to like Sandisk memory cards...even the better ones
Can't seem to find them locally...only online.

Thinkware F50 pro's:
Super clear image, doesn't seem to give that fishbowl look, despite also having a wide angle.
Sort of set it and forget it. I mean...you can pretty much put the memory card in and plug it in and done. *
Very clean and professional looking.
Viewing software is very clean and user friendly.
Stands up to high heat.
Pick one up at Best Buy and you don't have to wait for shipping.

Thinkware F50:
*This thing makes noise. Memory card not installed? ALERT!!! Memory card "saved folder" getting full? ALERT!!! It just seems like this fucking thing never shuts up sometimes. I need to look into how to set it to silent but...I also need some of these alerts as they can be important. Blah.

Ultimately...I prefer the Thinkware F50 I think...but I wish it wasn't so loud every time something new happens.

I'm actually excited that you asked this question because I was about to post a review of both cameras on here soon. I've been running them for about two weeks now.
A cop stopped me on the street and said "we're looking for a mugger who fits your description" , so I said "okay I'll do it".

ProCroation
KAC Member
KAC Member

Post by ProCroation » Sat Jun 03, 2017 12:18 am

Was any of this information helpful to you?

ProCroation
KAC Member
KAC Member

Post by ProCroation » Sat Jun 03, 2017 12:25 am

Also...the best advice I can give you once you purchase your camera, is buy an "endurance" memory card, made for rapid and repetitive write overs. A regular sandisk type SD card will go bad in a few months time from all the re-writing of data/video. Nature of the beast apparently.

Sandisk makes an endurance 32g for a pretty decent price. A better memory card is the Transcend 32g endurance card. It's a bigger hike in price though, for the Transcend. I bought some class 10 sandisk 32g evo cards for mine before I learned about this. I've only had my cameras now for a few weeks and plan to order some proper memory cards myself, very soon, after having learned this. The regular cards will work in a pinch though.

rustynuts
KAC Member
KAC Member
Has liked: 46 times
Been liked: 78 times

Post by rustynuts » Sat Jun 03, 2017 2:08 am

Good information ProCro. Thanks.

BIGC
Has liked: 14 times

Post by BIGC » Sat Jun 03, 2017 8:50 am

Definitely good Pro thanks! Been looking at dash cams ever since Shelbygoat started posting facebook video's from his.
1 Corinthians 13:13

And now these three remain: faith, hope and love. But the greatest of these is love.

http://stores.ebay.com/Big-Cs-Survival-Store?_rdc=1

Toddstang
Global Mod
Global Mod
Has liked: 145 times
Been liked: 96 times

Post by Toddstang » Sat Jun 03, 2017 10:44 am

rustynuts wrote:Good information ProCro. Thanks.
X2

Mike
KAC Member
KAC Member
Been liked: 5 times

Post by Mike » Sat Jun 03, 2017 3:45 pm

I was going to chime in, as these things can be AWESOME if you get into a car wreck. Your insurance company might even give you a break if you have one.

I highly recommend them to cover your ass as these days drivers are stupid!
:llama:

rustynuts
KAC Member
KAC Member
Has liked: 46 times
Been liked: 78 times

Post by rustynuts » Sat Jun 03, 2017 8:19 pm

Mike wrote:I was going to chime in, as these things can be AWESOME if you get into a car wreck. Your insurance company might even give you a break if you have one.

I highly recommend them to cover your ass as these days drivers are stupid!
I could have used one a couple of months ago.

Pitbullcrazyinky
KAC Member
KAC Member
Been liked: 0

Post by Pitbullcrazyinky » Sat Jun 03, 2017 8:44 pm

Very helpful. I want to get at least 2

ProCroation
KAC Member
KAC Member

Post by ProCroation » Mon Jun 05, 2017 3:43 am

Okay so now, once or twice I've had the VIOFO A119 camera just stop recording at its apparent own discretion. This isn't ideal. I think I'll take the annoying alerts from the Thinkware F50 camera all day, over the sketchy behavior of the A119. There was no alert that it stopped. I just happened to notice the record light not being lit...checked the footage and sure enough it hadn't recorded an entire trip around town. Some people online seem to think it can be updated to correct this but...blah. Simplicity rules the game here. I found out I can turn the volume down on the F50 alerts too so...it definitely is the better camera of the two in my mind.

ProCroation
KAC Member
KAC Member

Post by ProCroation » Fri Jul 07, 2017 7:39 pm

Update 1:

I figured out why the VIOFO A119 camera just suddenly stopped recording sometimes. It was operator error. I had tried to access the menu buttons without prior reading of the manual. My mistake is that I was manually turning off the record button without realizing what the button did. Then, it wasn't until after the fact that I would notice the lack of footage. It happened again but this time I put two and two together. It has not happened since I learned my lesson. So disregard my previous comment. I will leave the comment intact, in full, so that you all know I'm keeping it honest at least.

Update 2:

Just a few other talking points that I've discovered after running these cameras for a while, that I'd like to address.

A119:
*This camera is actually clearer than the Thinkware F50 now that I've reviewed lots of footage from both. I am able to read license plates with both cameras pretty easily but this one just seems more capable in capturing them while on the go.
*You can pop the memory card out of this camera and drop it straight into your Android phone and review footage on it just as easily, if not easier than on PC.
*After learning the menu buttons more, I've come to appreciate the option to play something back, on site with the little 2" screen. This could come in handy say, at an accident, when the police are on the scene and not later on after the report has been taken. It's not that difficult to submit footage later but I think it would be beneficial to be able to show an officer the footage and potentially set the story straight, from the beginning. This simply isn't an option with the Thinkware F50 camera though.

Thinkware F50:
*I've noticed that in between the 1 minute long clips this camera records, there tends to be a pause in between the clips. The pause is usually only a few seconds (less than 20 or 30 but more than 5 or 10). For this reason, there have been two occasions where I missed the precise moment that I wanted to see on camera. Instant frustration.
*This camera records separate types of files in separate folders. Parked recording, motion recording, manual recording and incident recording. It's obvious what the first three are but in case you can't guess, the incident recording is whenever the camera senses a car crash/impact. Instead of looping over these recordings, they are stored in a folder and not removable without doing it on your PC or completely formatting the card while its in the camera. Therefor, if you drive over lots of bumps, or have lots of bass in your car like I do...this folder fills up in a few days...maybe even just a single day depending on how much vibration and how often. Once it does fill up...guess what? ALERT "Insufficient memory in memory card" "Insufficient memory in memory card""Insufficient memory in memory card""Insufficient memory in memory card""Insufficient memory in memory card". Until you either manually clean up the card on PC or you format it. It sucks. I hate hearing it. Blah. That being said...unless you drive off road a lot or play lots of bass music...this info really isn't for you.
*You can't put this memory card in your phone and review it. The camera drops software on the card and it makes it incompatible with my phone. At least in my experience that seems to be the case (Moto Z Play phone for those curious). I just now found an app that will supposedly let me view the footage. I will update when I know more.

Anyway...if I can think of anything else, I'll post up.

Return to “Vehicles”