headlight upgrade options

Got a badass ride, post it up. Cars, trucks, bikes, trikes, whatever rolls or flies.
justang1997
KAC Member
KAC Member
Has liked: 0
Been liked: 0

headlight upgrade options

Post by justang1997 » Wed Sep 30, 2015 9:49 am

Looking to upgrade my headlights on my ford excursion. Im trying to decide the best route. My headlight housings are fogged badly and arent the newer clear style.

Option 1:
Buff headlight housings. Install aftermarket thicker gague wire harness to headlihts. Install phillips extreme vision bulbs.

Option 2:
Modify 2005 clear ford f250 headlight housings to fit. Wire harness upgrade. Phillips extreme vision bulbs.

Option 3:
HID install. Hardest part on this is finding a reputable site to purchase from. Would want hi and lo beams. Would require new housings.

Also looking at installing a "brite box" made to keep low beams on when high beams are on.

Anyone gone down this road already? Any other options?

Bama

Re: headlight upgrade options

Post by Bama » Wed Sep 30, 2015 10:02 am

Option 1 is cheapest and would work

Option 3: theretrofitsource.com

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Kingdom Concealment
Matthew 23:12 - And whosoever shall exalt himself shall be humbled; and whosoever shall humble himself shall be exalted.

justang1997
KAC Member
KAC Member

Post by justang1997 » Wed Sep 30, 2015 10:06 am

Thanks ill check them out.

I found a 4th option:
Buff lenses
Install higher wattage hella bulbs. Upgrade wireharness and install relays.

PDM
KAC Member
KAC Member
Has liked: 87 times
Been liked: 44 times

Post by PDM » Wed Sep 30, 2015 10:18 am

Buffing works but is not permanent. Once the UV protection is gone from a lens, it will always fog over. After buffing, some last several years, others less than a year. I like option 2.
HID in factory housings is a joke. I know because I have used them on several vehicles. Projector housings that work right are big money.
My preferred bulbs now are CREE LEDs from Ebay. Read up: http://www.svtperformance.com/forums/sh ... ator/page7
"The unlimited power of the sword is not in the hands of either the federal or the state governments, but, where I trust in God it will ever remain, in the hands of the people."
Tench Coxe

ssracer
KAC Member
KAC Member
Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 55 times

Post by ssracer » Wed Sep 30, 2015 10:34 am

On the grand am I was buffing the lenses out every few months at the end. Cheap, but a pain.

Definitely need good, correct projectors for HID. The new car has them and I love them...but the bulbs are like $70 each...not looking forward to replacing those...lol

Dave1965
KAC Member
KAC Member
Been liked: 23 times

Post by Dave1965 » Wed Sep 30, 2015 10:37 am

Buffed my Honda lights, been good for over a year. Took like 20 minutes with a drill and adaptor. No biggie. Less work than changing the oil once a year.

Statcher1
Been liked: 1 time

Post by Statcher1 » Wed Sep 30, 2015 12:59 pm

Bama wrote:Option 1 is cheapest and would work

Option 3: theretrofitsource.com

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Option 3 is your best and brightest route to go. The guy is awesome to deal with. I've talked with him a lot on another truck forum I'm on.

Sent from the Rocket in my Pocket

justang1997
KAC Member
KAC Member

Post by justang1997 » Fri Oct 09, 2015 4:58 pm

Because i like a good project, i have decided to build my own harness. I measured voltage drop and im loosing approximately 3 volts at the headlights on the factory aged wiring. I went to napa and bought a pair of hi temp 9007 headlight sockets and 2 relays for high and low beam for $26.
From my reading i have determined the factory wiring is 18ga. I will be making the harness with either 12 or 10ga. to handle higher wattage bulbs if i choose to go that route.
I Found out that a light rated at 1000 lumens on low beam is rated at 12.8 volts. My bulbs are running at 11.98 volts which brings the output down to 800ish lumens. By bringing the voltage up to 14.0 i can expect 1350 lumens.
Thats 500 additional lumens per bulb on low beam just from a harness upgrade.

Toecutter1978
KAC Member
KAC Member
Been liked: 14 times

Post by Toecutter1978 » Fri Oct 09, 2015 5:39 pm

LEDs are sweet, but priced out of my range.

Jakob
KAC Member
KAC Member

Post by Jakob » Sun Oct 11, 2015 11:15 am

Get new housings, it costs more but it is the best option all around. I personally went with new housings and a HID kit. It is literally like day time if I'm running my HID fog lights as well. There is no dull light, everything is a bight white and almost looks like it's in HD.
Livewire wrote:I remember when this was a free country and not a fascist one filled with limp wristed, tender hearted, liver lipped bunch of whiny ass cry babies.

justang1997
KAC Member
KAC Member

Post by justang1997 » Mon Oct 12, 2015 6:46 pm

Before pics. Dull yellow and no hot spot. Fogged lenses.

justang1997
KAC Member
KAC Member

Post by justang1997 » Mon Oct 12, 2015 6:51 pm

After pics. Much brighter more intense hot spot. Much whither light. No glare. This upgrade is safer all around, not just for my vision, but for oncoming traffic as well due to less glare. I attribute the less glare and better focus to the buffing of the lenses and the whiter light to the wire harness upgrade. Now that the harness is done i am going to shop for some 100/80 watt bulbs.

Last edited by justang1997 on Mon Oct 12, 2015 6:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Marcus
Founding Father
Founding Father
Been liked: 61 times

Post by Marcus » Mon Oct 12, 2015 6:53 pm

Ok. What do you charge? Lol
Mandy wrote:I meant Marcus post, he's like ninja slicer, he's nice he's nice he's nice, ....SWISH... he cuts your effin head off ;)

justang1997
KAC Member
KAC Member

Post by justang1997 » Mon Oct 12, 2015 7:04 pm

This was so easy i seriously thought about making kits and selling them with bulbs. I have about $75 into this upgrade with materials left over. The Hella off road bulbs im looking at are $20. So total investment will be $95. Some things i didnt show in the pictures like the the black wireloom for tidying up the wires and the small waterproof camp box i mounted the relays in.

Marcus
Founding Father
Founding Father
Been liked: 61 times

Post by Marcus » Mon Oct 12, 2015 7:11 pm

justang1997 wrote:This was so easy i seriously thought about making kits and selling them with bulbs. I have about $75 into this upgrade with materials left over. The Hella off road bulbs im looking at are $20. So total investment will be $95. Some things i didnt show in the pictures like the the black wireloom for tidying up the wires and the small waterproof camp box i mounted the relays in.
That ain't bad. My truck should be the exact same as yours.

What are the downsides?
Mandy wrote:I meant Marcus post, he's like ninja slicer, he's nice he's nice he's nice, ....SWISH... he cuts your effin head off ;)

justang1997
KAC Member
KAC Member

Post by justang1997 » Mon Oct 12, 2015 8:23 pm

Marcus wrote:
justang1997 wrote:This was so easy i seriously thought about making kits and selling them with bulbs. I have about $75 into this upgrade with materials left over. The Hella off road bulbs im looking at are $20. So total investment will be $95. Some things i didnt show in the pictures like the the black wireloom for tidying up the wires and the small waterproof camp box i mounted the relays in.

What are the downsides?
I cant think of any downsides. I wired mine in a way that is totally reversable. No cutting of factory harness was requires. I plugged relays into jumpers connected to driverside factory headlight socket. Then from relays i ran all 12ga wire including ground wires on both relays and both headlights and from the battery. I didnt shortcut and run 1 12ga line from battery and splice it into relays. I ran each relay its own 12ga power line and grounds. No shared wires in system. I almost went with 10ga wire, but its a lot stiffer and harder to crimp.
If i decide to ditch the factory 55watt bulbs and go with 100watt i will have to watch the housings for heat related issues but all the wiring i added and new headlight sockets can handle it fine.

richief
Has liked: 2 times
Been liked: 1 time

Post by richief » Tue Oct 13, 2015 9:26 pm

Looks good, and my 99 f350 could use this mod. Where do you get the hella bulbs? Are they same watt 55?

justang1997
KAC Member
KAC Member

Post by justang1997 » Tue Oct 13, 2015 11:03 pm

richief wrote:Looks good, and my 99 f350 could use this mod. Where do you get the hella bulbs? Are they same watt 55?
I dont have the hella bulbs yet. They are 80 watt low 100 watt hi beam. I can have O'REILLY order them for $20 or order from amazon for 19.99. Probably gonna have O'REILLY order them incase they are damaged during shipping. Easier to let them deal with that.
I wouldnt run 100 watt bulbs in factory wiring.

Toddstang
Global Mod
Global Mod
Has liked: 145 times
Been liked: 96 times

Post by Toddstang » Wed Oct 14, 2015 5:41 am

justang1997 wrote:
Marcus wrote:

What are the downsides?
I cant think of any downsides. I wired mine in a way that is totally reversable. No cutting of factory harness was requires. I plugged relays into jumpers connected to driverside factory headlight socket. Then from relays i ran all 12ga wire including ground wires on both relays and both headlights and from the battery. I didnt shortcut and run 1 12ga line from battery and splice it into relays. I ran each relay its own 12ga power line and grounds. No shared wires in system. I almost went with 10ga wire, but its a lot stiffer and harder to crimp.
If i decide to ditch the factory 55watt bulbs and go with 100watt i will have to watch the housings for heat related issues but all the wiring i added and new headlight sockets can handle it fine.
Yea, your lenses will brown and melt over a short period of time if you go to a higher power bulb. The older lenses like in my F150 aren't made for that kind of heat and I have seen pics on the truck forum where they look like they have caught fire. Your harness should be ok

Return to “Vehicles”