New Hauler!

Got a badass ride, post it up. Cars, trucks, bikes, trikes, whatever rolls or flies.
rustynuts
KAC Member
KAC Member
Has liked: 46 times
Been liked: 78 times

Re: New Hauler!

Post by rustynuts » Sun Jul 26, 2015 8:46 pm

It wasn't a tuck my tail between my legs kind of apology, but.....

Screw ya'll if you can't take a little derailment!

:llama:

SSGBPowell
Has liked: 0
Been liked: 0

Post by SSGBPowell » Mon Jul 27, 2015 3:22 pm

If you want a 4 Barrel intake for it I have one for sale/trade.

Nice looking truck, you don't see them in that condition very often.
I was only going to build one...

Mexican Kerry
KAC Member
KAC Member
Been liked: 12 times

Post by Mexican Kerry » Mon Jul 27, 2015 5:08 pm

Thanks for the offer but I'm probably too far away to make it worthwhile. Unless you're passing through Western Canada anytime soon.

Mexican Kerry
KAC Member
KAC Member

Post by Mexican Kerry » Sat Jan 20, 2018 1:29 am

Old thread but I dug it out for a reason. The green 79 is getting a transformation. Son fucked it up, smashed it into a fence and then took out the transmission the next spring after it was back on the road. Its been sitting in my shop for almost a year since I towed it there. Not sure what to do with it as I don't really need another truck, I have a newer F350 at my disposal if I need to move stuff.

But its been bugging me just sitting there.

When I was a kid I read a book about two brothers that built a buggy they took to Baja. My brother read it too, and we have thrown the idea around ever since.

The green machine is getting an overhaul, and my goal is to enter at least one race in the Norra series in 2020. Hopefully gives me enough time to get my shit together to do it.

We've talked about it for years, I'm getting old. If I don't get on it it'll never happen. I don't care if I finish last, I just want to finish. Stay tuned if you're patient, this may be the slowest build on the internet. Its going to take a while as I'm a)broke and b)working away from home.

Pics for reference/inspiration:

And what it could be (if money was no object):

Probably going with a more simple front suspension setup (long arm twin beam) and retain the front engine config. But I'm ordering an Eastwood tubing notcher and a bender soon to get going on it. Building my own cage and working on the frame is first. Probably yarding out the 4 spd and putting a slushbox into it for this project. Trying to keep it simple and meet the minimum requirements for tech.

I'm accepting sponsorship and applications for people wishing to join the build/support team. Baja is a beautiful place and they have Tecate.

Marcus
Founding Father
Founding Father
Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 61 times

Post by Marcus » Sat Jan 20, 2018 8:55 am

Love the idea
Mandy wrote:I meant Marcus post, he's like ninja slicer, he's nice he's nice he's nice, ....SWISH... he cuts your effin head off ;)

rustynuts
KAC Member
KAC Member

Post by rustynuts » Sat Jan 20, 2018 8:58 am

Me too. Can't wait to see progress pictures.

plumber_bob
KAC Member
KAC Member
Has liked: 173 times
Been liked: 79 times

Post by plumber_bob » Sun Jan 21, 2018 2:06 pm

Time to subscribe!

pb
"One Man With Courage is a Majority"

PDM
KAC Member
KAC Member
Has liked: 87 times
Been liked: 44 times

Post by PDM » Mon Jan 22, 2018 10:54 am

That 4 speed is an easy rebuild and well worth it. They’re getting more scarce and pricey.
"The unlimited power of the sword is not in the hands of either the federal or the state governments, but, where I trust in God it will ever remain, in the hands of the people."
Tench Coxe

Mexican Kerry
KAC Member
KAC Member

Post by Mexican Kerry » Tue Jan 23, 2018 7:14 pm

I'm not getting rid of the 4 spd. A guy wants to trade me a c6 for my 49 Merc so that's getting swapped into the truck. I think its a better choice for this project right now.
Attachments
20180122_112318.jpg

Mexican Kerry
KAC Member
KAC Member

Post by Mexican Kerry » Tue Jan 23, 2018 7:16 pm

Whoops that pic was from yesterday at the Shelby plant in Vegas. Doesn't really belong here.

Mexican Kerry
KAC Member
KAC Member

Post by Mexican Kerry » Tue Jan 23, 2018 7:20 pm

20180122_112310.jpg
20180122_112340.jpg
20180122_112336.jpg

Marcus
Founding Father
Founding Father

Post by Marcus » Tue Jan 23, 2018 7:23 pm

Mexican Kerry wrote:
20180122_112310.jpg
20180122_112340.jpg
20180122_112336.jpg
Terlingua...where can I smash the like button?
Mandy wrote:I meant Marcus post, he's like ninja slicer, he's nice he's nice he's nice, ....SWISH... he cuts your effin head off ;)

Mexican Kerry
KAC Member
KAC Member

Post by Mexican Kerry » Tue Jan 23, 2018 7:28 pm

Yeah mkwife acted like she was embarrassed with me there. It was pretty cool just to see the cars lined up. I have to say I was a bit disappointed though, the original roadster has been restored and painted since I was there last. It was way cooler before: dents and scratches, torn seats. Now its too nice.

Mexican Kerry
KAC Member
KAC Member

Post by Mexican Kerry » Tue Jan 23, 2018 7:32 pm

20180122_112529.jpg
20180122_112524.jpg

This one is still in its glory with body damage though. I didn't ask the price but I should have.

Marcus
Founding Father
Founding Father

Post by Marcus » Tue Jan 23, 2018 7:34 pm

Mexican Kerry wrote:Yeah mkwife acted like she was embarrassed with me there. It was pretty cool just to see the cars lined up. I have to say I was a bit disappointed though, the original roadster has been restored and painted since I was there last. It was way cooler before: dents and scratches, torn seats. Now its too nice.
Yeah. I think I'd like it better before too

Gunsmokin
KAC Member
KAC Member
Been liked: 20 times

Post by Gunsmokin » Tue Jan 23, 2018 7:36 pm

This might have to be added to the itinerary for next week. Will be in Vegas myself.
jackalo626 wrote:Skibble dee dibbledy

Mexican Kerry
KAC Member
KAC Member

Post by Mexican Kerry » Tue Jan 23, 2018 7:49 pm

Marcus wrote:
Mexican Kerry wrote:Yeah mkwife acted like she was embarrassed with me there. It was pretty cool just to see the cars lined up. I have to say I was a bit disappointed though, the original roadster has been restored and painted since I was there last. It was way cooler before: dents and scratches, torn seats. Now its too nice.
I've got some pics of it a couple years ago but not with me. It was just bare bones shjtty car with a motor jammed in it. Perfection.

Marcus
Founding Father
Founding Father

Post by Marcus » Tue Jan 23, 2018 7:58 pm

Mexican Kerry wrote:
Marcus wrote:
I've got some pics of it a couple years ago but not with me. It was just bare bones shjtty car with a motor jammed in it. Perfection.
Guy on YouTube, jonathan w. building an old mg with a 454. Love that concept. Extreme budget build.

Mexican Kerry
KAC Member
KAC Member

Post by Mexican Kerry » Tue Jan 23, 2018 8:04 pm

Gunsmokin wrote:This might have to be added to the itinerary for next week. Will be in Vegas myself.
All it costs is the cab fare. Its actually mostly a gift shop with some windows looking into the actual shop. But they do have some awesome cars in the tourist side, I'd say its worth it. They have examples of most of the legendary shelbys and a lot of merch for sale. I picked up t shirts for all my nephews and nieces.

If you're feeling flush you can buy a polished aluminum Daytona coupe for around 350 k (sans drivetrain).

Another cool thing to check out is the car collection at the Linq. I heard rumors it was shutting down but I haven't been there this time. Super cool collection of cars from Cosworths to limited production Ferraris.

Gunsmokin
KAC Member
KAC Member
Been liked: 20 times

Post by Gunsmokin » Tue Jan 23, 2018 8:48 pm

Good info. Thanks.
jackalo626 wrote:Skibble dee dibbledy

PDM
KAC Member
KAC Member
Has liked: 87 times
Been liked: 44 times

Post by PDM » Tue Jan 23, 2018 11:09 pm

Mexican Kerry wrote:Whoops that pic was from yesterday at the Shelby plant in Vegas. Doesn't really belong here.
That picture belongs anywhere!
"The unlimited power of the sword is not in the hands of either the federal or the state governments, but, where I trust in God it will ever remain, in the hands of the people."
Tench Coxe

Mexican Kerry
KAC Member
KAC Member

Post by Mexican Kerry » Wed Jan 24, 2018 1:18 am

On another note it just got real cold here. Mkwife bought tickets to a cirque de soleil show for tonight. She's been pumped to see it for weeks.

I walked out and took a cab back to our hotel. I'm guessing I'm not getting any tonight when she gets back. It was terrible. I lasted about 15 minutes and told her I didn't want to stay. She said it'll get better so I gave it another 10. Told her I was leaving but I don't think she believed me. She probably thought I was going for a smoke. Its been about a half hour now, I expect she's spitting rocks.

She's there with her brother and sister in law so its not like I left her hanging alone.

Mexican Kerry
KAC Member
KAC Member

Post by Mexican Kerry » Tue Feb 13, 2018 6:04 pm

Finally got to working on the truck, pulled the box off today and started gutting the cab. Pulled the fuel tank and also ordered a new set of tires, 35x12.5 BFG's. Need them for suspension and fender mockup.

The box is virtually rust free and I had a couple guys interested in buying it, so the next logical step is:

I still want to retain some function in the bed, so I'm going to keep it steel for now. I'm going to cut free the box front and re-install it. I've never seen a short bed 250 of this vintage, hope it works! Stitching the box back together tomorrow, then starting on the frame chop.

rustynuts
KAC Member
KAC Member

Post by rustynuts » Tue Feb 13, 2018 7:35 pm

Leave it to MK to.never take the easy way out.

Niceguy
KAC Member
KAC Member
Has liked: 328 times
Been liked: 91 times

Post by Niceguy » Tue Feb 13, 2018 7:43 pm

Do you ever finish any of your automotive projects? haha One of my best friends is like this, drives me nuts! Starts something very cool, gets it nearly to the good part, then starts another one...haha

Return to “Vehicles”