Headlight restoration kits: A double review

Got a badass ride, post it up. Cars, trucks, bikes, trikes, whatever rolls or flies.
ProCroation
KAC Member
KAC Member
Has liked: 0
Been liked: 3 times

Headlight restoration kits: A double review

Post by ProCroation » Sun Jun 14, 2015 8:54 pm

So my wife has some pretty crusty looking headlights in her Volvo S60 T5. I mean, these lamps were practically two tone with a frosty haze that reminds you of windows in the dead of winter. So she went out and purchased a headlamp restoration kit. She got the Meguiars 2 Step kit, as seen here http://i.ytimg.com/vi/6wyk3OlWmJg/maxresdefault.jpg

For $24.99 this kit comes with two disk shaped scotch bright pads (for use by hand or with a not-included drill attachment), rubbing compound and a clear coat spray. It works. Although the pads really aren't sufficient for getting all the ugliness off, the clear coat spray is where the magic is at. After a lot of scrubbing, and seeing very little reduction in the thick hazy areas, I had my doubts. Then the clear coat spray went on and left us with a sense of satisfaction. I'd recommend this to someone who doesn't want to spend a lot of time bringing their headlamps back to new-ish clarity.

In an effort to reduce scrubbing time, I went to Wal-Mart in search of the drill attachment her kit didn't come with. They don't carry it though, so instead I grabbed the 3M brand headlight restoration kit since it comes with a drill attachment. I decided to try this kit on the other headlight to compare results. It can be seen here http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/7 ... L1024_.jpg

For $18.99 this kit comes with a drill attachment, rubbing compound, 500 grit sanding pads, 800 grit sanding pads, a wet sanding pad, and a foam buffing pad. Using the drill required a lot less effort, so obviously I was able to focus more on the heavily hazed areas of her lights with 500 grit. In fact I completely removed any hint of two-tone discoloration from the lens. Then I spent a few minutes going over the headlight through each of the various sanding stages recommended. The end result looked damn near like a brand spanking new headlight. We were both highly impressed. So much so, that she made me do the other headlight over again. I would highly recommend this kit, to a person who has the time, patience and a steady hand while wielding a drill near painted body parts. Clearly putting in the extra time for multiple stages of sanding/buffing has it's benefits. Over-all, the 3M kit wins the best restoration but Meguiars wins the speed challenge. When finished, she still ended up spraying both headlights with the Meguiars clear coat from the kit she bought. You could pass these headlights off as brand new ones, now. Personally, I'd rather save a little money, spend a little more time and end up with the best results possible.

Pics coming soon.
A cop stopped me on the street and said "we're looking for a mugger who fits your description" , so I said "okay I'll do it".

Niceguy
KAC Member
KAC Member
Has liked: 328 times
Been liked: 91 times

Re: Headlight restoration kits: A double review

Post by Niceguy » Sun Jun 14, 2015 8:59 pm

3m kit is awesome! Spray clear coat or wax the shit out of them a few times and it will last a lot longer. They haze a lot faster after you buff them for some reason if you don't coat them in something.

ProCroation
KAC Member
KAC Member

Post by ProCroation » Sun Jun 14, 2015 8:59 pm

uploadfromtaptalk1434329974198.jpg
here are her crusty lights
A cop stopped me on the street and said "we're looking for a mugger who fits your description" , so I said "okay I'll do it".

ProCroation
KAC Member
KAC Member

Post by ProCroation » Sun Jun 14, 2015 9:00 pm

uploadfromtaptalk1434330008864.jpg
with meguiars 2 step

ProCroation
KAC Member
KAC Member

Post by ProCroation » Sun Jun 14, 2015 9:01 pm

uploadfromtaptalk1434330042402.jpg
with 3m you can't tell much through the pictures but in person the light is awesome looking. It's about the finer details.
Last edited by ProCroation on Sun Jun 14, 2015 9:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.

ProCroation
KAC Member
KAC Member

Post by ProCroation » Sun Jun 14, 2015 9:02 pm

uploadfromtaptalk1434330117510.jpg
all finished up

ssracer
KAC Member
KAC Member
Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 55 times

Post by ssracer » Sun Jun 14, 2015 9:33 pm

I've always just used rubbing compound as they got cloudy because I already had it on hand. I'll check these out next time I need it...which hopefully won't be for many years now..lol

ProCroation
KAC Member
KAC Member

Post by ProCroation » Mon Jun 15, 2015 1:41 am

Niceguy wrote:3m kit is awesome! Spray clear coat or wax the shit out of them a few times and it will last a lot longer. They haze a lot faster after you buff them for some reason if you don't coat them in something.
Yes. Yes it is. :D

Not sure who's more excited, her or me. lol

ProCroation
KAC Member
KAC Member

Post by ProCroation » Mon Jun 15, 2015 1:44 am

ssracer wrote:I've always just used rubbing compound as they got cloudy because I already had it on hand. I'll check these out next time I need it...which hopefully won't be for many years now..lol
I've used everything you can think of, on my various cars through the years. From scotch bright pads and buffing with Dex/Merc transmission fluid, to socks and toothpaste (yes this is really a thing). If it's ever been recommended, I've probably tried it.

Dave1965
KAC Member
KAC Member
Been liked: 23 times

Post by Dave1965 » Mon Jun 15, 2015 6:50 am

I used the 3m kit on my old honda accord last year. Lights were so bad they would hardly light the way. I found the 3m kit at walmart with no drill attachment but my nearby auto parts store had a bigger kit with the attacment for a little more money so I bought that. Thanks for the tip on coating them, I knew they were getting bad again but didn't know why.

Return to “Vehicles”