The Jeep Cherokee Flinstone car

Got a badass ride, post it up. Cars, trucks, bikes, trikes, whatever rolls or flies.
kokopelli
KAC Member
KAC Member
Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 17 times

Re: The Jeep Cherokee Flinstone car

Post by kokopelli » Fri Aug 22, 2014 7:45 pm

Niceguy wrote:NEVER! Never ever EVER, add up receipts! Some things are just better left unknown! :llama: hahaha

Amen, brother!

I knew I had $1800 in parts- I had spent $800 of the profit from selling the Honda mini-van for floor pans and a couple others I knew I would need, and then spent the $1k I made selling my brother's truck....the other grand I have no idea how it went!!!

Niceguy
KAC Member
KAC Member
Has liked: 327 times
Been liked: 92 times

Post by Niceguy » Fri Aug 22, 2014 7:46 pm

haha

JustShootIt
Founding Father
Founding Father
Has liked: 3 times
Been liked: 0

Post by JustShootIt » Sat Aug 23, 2014 2:28 am

Overheating:

Have u recently replaced the thermostat? Doesn't take much for them to get cruddy and get stuck closed...and cause it to overheat.

Even if u recently replaced (or if u take it out and it appears to be ok) you can boil it in pot of water to see if it opens and closes properly. Or u can even take thermostat out , put back together and let it idle a while and see if it still gets hot....

As for the starter, did u try tapping on it? Try letting someone crank it while u tap on it real good and it may catch enough to start and at least get u home.
"All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing."(Edmund Burke)

Joe
KAC Member
KAC Member
Has liked: 0
Been liked: 0

Post by Joe » Sat Aug 23, 2014 6:03 am

Without hearing the noise it is making. One thing that makes a starter click real fast is low voltage. Could be low battery or a connection. Another thing to check is to see if alternator belt it tight enough since you are overheating also as loose belt could cause both problems. Alt or waterpump starting to lock up.

kokopelli
KAC Member
KAC Member

Post by kokopelli » Sat Aug 23, 2014 7:52 am

thanks guys- I'm going back for it here in a bit.

I put a new Stant Super T 195 in it 3 weeks ago when I did the first flush. Fan clutch seemed tight, but I could turn it some- not as easy as others I've seen that went out, but still something to look at since it only overheated when idling...

I didn't have cables with me last night, but I wanted to let it cool down completely anyway.

I gotta get this Heep done so I can get some siding on the house replaced and painted before I have back surgery next month, I'll be down for the count awhile after that...

Niceguy
KAC Member
KAC Member
Has liked: 327 times
Been liked: 92 times

Post by Niceguy » Sat Aug 23, 2014 12:14 pm

I've seen more than one impeller break loose from the shaft in the water pump and that's how they do most of the time. Over heat when idling and cool off when moving.

kokopelli
KAC Member
KAC Member

Post by kokopelli » Sat Aug 23, 2014 12:37 pm

...fan clutch.

I got it started and home, noticed the fan wasn't blowing much and moving slow. Turned it off, checked the resistance by hand, sure enough it's loose.

I'm going to check the water pump as soon as I get this on there-

100 degree garage, here I come!

kokopelli
KAC Member
KAC Member

Post by kokopelli » Sun Aug 24, 2014 6:56 pm

Oh Boy Oh Boy Oh Boy Oh Boy Oh Boy Oh Boy Oh Boy Oh Boy Oh Boy!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

took my belt off, started it up and...............NO KNOCKING!!!

(*#^&#%@$!@@$!!! Water Pump bearing are shot!

This thing has sounded like it was the end of the world for 2 weeks now! i thought I was going to be putting in main bearings or worse!

Everything taken off, eating dinner, then back at it.

Return to “Vehicles”