Not-so-badass-ride

Got a badass ride, post it up. Cars, trucks, bikes, trikes, whatever rolls or flies.
Mexican Kerry
KAC Member
KAC Member
Has liked: 0
Been liked: 12 times

Not-so-badass-ride

Post by Mexican Kerry » Sun Sep 15, 2013 2:06 am

Had this car sitting in my shop since we moved here 8 yrs ago, and sat in my old shop for 2 yrs before that. Father in law gave it to me, figured it was time to get started on it.

'30 Ford, its gonna be a helluva project. My son and I started knocking bolts out today, trying to get the body ready to pull off the frame. We pulled the front fenders off and cleaned most of the crap out of it (still had all the leaves, branches, and an elk antler inside from the years it sat on the farm).

These parts should be a goldmine, gonna sell the fenders and stuff to help fund the build.

The plan for now is: chop roof 4", channel body 4", clean up and put new cross members into frame. As we dug into it, we found some serious rot in the lower part of the body on the driver's side. This will cause some hardship for channelling, I'm going to have to do some major work to get the body solid enough to support its own weight when dropped down to straddle the frame. Maybe there's aftermarket patch pieces, gonna have to look into that. Why reinvent the wheel?

My original plan was to buy an aftermarket frame, but this one is in pretty good shape. Frame has some damage at the front end on one side, and all cross members need replacing, but I think I'll source out some replacement parts instead of a whole new frame. I'm not planning on building a supercar, its going to be a cruiser.

Just thought I'd post up the beginnings of this project, hopefully we can stay focused and get it done!

Vividia
KAC Member
KAC Member
Been liked: 1 time

Re: Not-so-badass-ride

Post by Vividia » Sun Sep 15, 2013 8:43 am

Cool project to do with your son. Keep the pix coming :-)
Mexican Kerry wrote:Except for Viv. I predict she will be the leader of a group that roams the countryside pillaging for survival.
It is hardly too strong to say that the Constitution was made to guard the people against the dangers of good intentions. There are men in all ages who mean to govern well, but they mean to govern. They promise to be good masters, but they mean to be masters. - Daniel Webster

jmeister
KAC Member
KAC Member
Has liked: 3 times
Been liked: 3 times

Post by jmeister » Sun Sep 15, 2013 8:57 am

Awesome project car

JustShootIt
Founding Father
Founding Father
Has liked: 3 times
Been liked: 0

Post by JustShootIt » Sun Sep 15, 2013 9:09 am

Yep....keep us posted....awesome project
"All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing."(Edmund Burke)

Rem700
KAC Member
KAC Member
Has liked: 110 times
Been liked: 56 times

Post by Rem700 » Sun Sep 15, 2013 9:46 am

Umm I have a confession....I'm jealous of the Canadian!!!!!

Rem700
KAC Member
KAC Member
Has liked: 110 times

Post by Rem700 » Sun Sep 15, 2013 9:46 am

Btw very cool project esp to work on with your son!

kyswede
KAC Member
KAC Member
Been liked: 2 times

Post by kyswede » Sun Sep 15, 2013 11:45 am

Back in the mid-70s a friend had an original 1931 Model A sedan. I drove it once, it was a blast, mechanical brakes and unsynchronized transmission.
Great father and son project MK.
Nothing beats building memories.
Cutting grass is the price I gladly pay for not being cold.

son of liberty
KAC Member
KAC Member
Been liked: 0

Post by son of liberty » Sun Sep 15, 2013 1:31 pm

Bad ass, but im horrified that you would chop it up and make a hot rod out of such a classic car!!! Thats like cutting up a WW1 1911 to make a tactical style 1911, im pretty sure its a sin!

Jonwoos
KAC Member
KAC Member
Has liked: 45 times
Been liked: 6 times

Post by Jonwoos » Sun Sep 15, 2013 1:50 pm

Cool project, good luck with it.

Marcus
Founding Father
Founding Father
Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 62 times

Post by Marcus » Sun Sep 15, 2013 7:01 pm

son of liberty wrote:Bad ass, but im horrified that you would chop it up and make a hot rod out of such a classic car!!! Thats like cutting up a WW1 1911 to make a tactical style 1911, im pretty sure its a sin!
Kind of agree. Even if it will be miserable to drive.
Mandy wrote:I meant Marcus post, he's like ninja slicer, he's nice he's nice he's nice, ....SWISH... he cuts your effin head off ;)

Marcus
Founding Father
Founding Father

Post by Marcus » Sun Sep 15, 2013 7:03 pm

But also agree working on cars with my dad was my best times with him.
Mandy wrote:I meant Marcus post, he's like ninja slicer, he's nice he's nice he's nice, ....SWISH... he cuts your effin head off ;)

Toddstang
Global Mod
Global Mod
Has liked: 145 times
Been liked: 98 times

Post by Toddstang » Sun Sep 15, 2013 7:56 pm

If it wasn't an original I would chop it. There are so many kits out there and very few originals. I would go back to all original if it were mine. Kits are just as fun to build also.

ssracer
KAC Member
KAC Member

Post by ssracer » Sun Sep 15, 2013 9:14 pm

hell yeah

Mexican Kerry
KAC Member
KAC Member

Post by Mexican Kerry » Mon Sep 16, 2013 1:26 am

kyswede wrote:Back in the mid-70s a friend had an original 1931 Model A sedan. I drove it once, it was a blast, mechanical brakes and unsynchronized transmission.
My wife's uncle has several Model A's and T's, all restored to original configuration. Cool, but damned if I know how they work. Let's just say if there was a zombie horde coming at me and all there was was an original Model A, I'd die. Wouldn't even know how to start the damn thing let alone drive it!

Mexican Kerry
KAC Member
KAC Member

Post by Mexican Kerry » Mon Sep 16, 2013 1:56 am

We did some more cutting and removing today, got the rear fenders off, along with one running board and skirt. Lot more cleanup, found more rot in the body too. Think I have a good idea for starting the channel job, need to get going on a bunch of temporary cross bracing in the body. Word on the street is that if you simply unbolt the body from the frame its a bear to get everything lined back up again. More on that when I get closer to that stage.

Part of me wants to keep it on top of the frame, but it will look awesome dropped down a few inches.

The frame skirt here still has to come off. The other side was a real mofo, body mounts need to be removed, body lifted up, and running boards removed before skirt comes off. Running board is held on by two rivetted brackets to frame (those ended up meeting the sawzall cause they were not coming off any other way). Then you have access to rivets to grind off and remove running board supports. Too bad cause they were pretty solid. Lots of little useless pieces now.

Rear inner wheelwells are both in pretty rough condition. Should be pretty straightforward to fix, cut sheetmetal to proper shape and weld in. Not going to see much of it after the wheels are on anyway.

Marked out for roof chop, I think 4" is as far as I want to go. Still leaves a 6" rear window.

Rear floor section is rough too, but once the floor is channeled it'll all be replaced anyway.

Body cross members are shot too (one's completely missing). Again, with the new floor in place it won't be an issue.

Mexican Kerry
KAC Member
KAC Member

Post by Mexican Kerry » Mon Sep 16, 2013 1:58 am

Not very exciting so far, hope its not too boring.

Marcus
Founding Father
Founding Father

Post by Marcus » Mon Sep 16, 2013 4:23 am

Not very exciting?? That's so incredibly awesome!

Jonwoos
KAC Member
KAC Member
Has liked: 45 times
Been liked: 6 times

Post by Jonwoos » Mon Sep 16, 2013 7:38 pm

Pretty cool

Mexican Kerry
KAC Member
KAC Member

Post by Mexican Kerry » Thu Sep 19, 2013 1:29 am

Bought a motor tonight, a 239 inch 8BA out of a '51 truck. Slightly torn apart, so who knows what's missing. Block looks decent though, and short of a Merc 255, this was the type I wanted. Came with another complete flattie, a 59A out of a '46 car and the dude threw in a 3 spd tranny to boot. Paid 340 for everything, so not too big a risk.

Mexican Kerry
KAC Member
KAC Member

Post by Mexican Kerry » Wed Oct 02, 2013 1:29 am

After many days away from this project (working away from home and a quick 13 hr drive to BC last weekend for a memorial service and get together with wife's family) I'm back at it. Body is separated from frame, getting ready for the channel job. I want to have it done by the end of this coming weekend. Next pics will be the body sitting 4 inches lower on the frame. Just trying to decide what the best way to do it is.

Most guys seem to weld up a flat tube assembly in the body that sits on top of the frame, but I want to actually do frame "channels" in the floor to retain as much foot room as possible. I'm 6' 4" and need as much as possible.

Not going too crazy with the body work, would probably feel too cramped if the chop and channel were more than 4". These A sedans are tall cars, my only real concern is how narrow they are. Not much elbow and foot room.

Stay tuned if you want to see how a first time rodder fucks up a classic!

Mexican Kerry
KAC Member
KAC Member

Post by Mexican Kerry » Wed Oct 16, 2013 1:33 am

Finally got my motors home! Work has been hectic as fuck so not much time to wrench or cut. All I can say is a flathead with cast heads is heavy as shit. Stripping the 8BA to the bare block, hoping to have it ready to drop off at local shop for dunking and pressure testing by the end of the week. I need more tools, I'm not set up for an engine rebuild. Not using any of the original cast parts if I don't have to, I'm going to use Offenhauser heads and intake. If the block checks out, I'm going to bore to 3 3/8" with a Merc 255 crank. Big power haha.

Parts-buying will commence shortly thereafter. Want motor done before Christmas.

Mexican Kerry
KAC Member
KAC Member

Post by Mexican Kerry » Mon Oct 21, 2013 12:22 am

Took the day off work today so Tom and I could get started on the body. Here are a bunch of pics (before and after).

4" cut marked out: about to find out if I know what I'm doing or if I'm going to make this thing fall to pieces.

Tom on the grinder:

Mexican Kerry
KAC Member
KAC Member

Post by Mexican Kerry » Mon Oct 21, 2013 12:26 am

Roof's off: now to cut the 4" off all the pillars.

Trimmed, and ready to re-install the lid.

Mexican Kerry
KAC Member
KAC Member

Post by Mexican Kerry » Mon Oct 21, 2013 12:31 am

Set back in place, the easy part is done.

A guy drove 2 hrs to buy the front fenders and running boards today, made 400 bucks to put towards the engine build. He also brought me a good original '30 visor, so that's another detail taken care of!

Sold the old front axle and wishbone on Friday (another 110 bucks for the engine), here's the new front end from a '34 Ford.

Mexican Kerry
KAC Member
KAC Member

Post by Mexican Kerry » Mon Oct 21, 2013 12:34 am

Before:

After:

Return to “Vehicles”