Canning

For the ladies. Women CCDW classes, female shooters, horse riders, ladies who enjoy the outdoor life and good times. A forum just for you.
ChickenLady
KAC Member
KAC Member
Has liked: 0
Been liked: 0

Canning

Post by ChickenLady » Mon Oct 29, 2012 1:33 pm

Just throwing the option out there. This weekend I have a huge canning batch planned. Everything from meat to pumpkin to marinara is to be canned. (free heat in the house! Kinda..)

If anyone wanted to learn how to can let me know. It's a pretty simple process but does take FOREVER. You can pm me and we can go from there.

Yes Mike, you'll get your marinara ready for pick up next week.
Livewire wrote:CL, the most sought after chicken farming insurance agent in kentucky
Livewire wrote:You're cooking has bought you a team of body guards wiling to follow you around at school

ChickenLady
KAC Member
KAC Member

Re: Canning

Post by ChickenLady » Wed Nov 21, 2012 8:23 am

Oops! I meant to reply to this one with my thoughts on pumpkin.

I canned 5 pumpkins with the intent to can another three. So anybody that wants to in the future can some pumpkin just know that it expands quite a bit when canned so I would suggest leaving almost an inch and a half of headspace vs the one inch that is suggested. One of my jars lost half of the water in canning. I'm not worried about it as the seal is good on the can, but its still a little annoying knowing that the food that is not under water is going to discolor a little. Oh well.
Livewire wrote:CL, the most sought after chicken farming insurance agent in kentucky
Livewire wrote:You're cooking has bought you a team of body guards wiling to follow you around at school

broncogal
KAC Member
KAC Member

Post by broncogal » Wed Nov 28, 2012 7:11 pm

do you water bath or pressure can??

ChickenLady
KAC Member
KAC Member

Post by ChickenLady » Thu Nov 29, 2012 8:27 am

I pressure can. Most of the things that I can cannot be used with the water bath canning method. Meat for example must be pressure canned as does pumpkin.

broncogal
KAC Member
KAC Member

Post by broncogal » Sun Oct 06, 2013 1:02 pm

Put away tomatoes, salsa, spaghetti sauce and picked banana peppers.

broncogal
KAC Member
KAC Member

Post by broncogal » Sun Oct 06, 2013 2:44 pm

Think I'm going to try to put up some pumpkin this year

Return to “Ladies Section”