Baby + Car + Protection question

For the ladies. Women CCDW classes, female shooters, horse riders, ladies who enjoy the outdoor life and good times. A forum just for you.
ChickenLady
KAC Member
KAC Member
Has liked: 0
Been liked: 0

Post by ChickenLady » Fri Jul 20, 2012 2:14 pm

Ok, lets drum up more lady stuff!

The most vulnerable place for me right now with my kiddo is the car seat. It makes me feel really uncomfortable to leaned over the back seat, door open, either strapping her in or snapping the seat into place.

Anyone have any suggestions on how to still be able to be aware and safe in the event somebody does try something?

I mean literally, I can't really turn around or anything till my kiddo is safely attached to her car seat ..
Livewire wrote:CL, the most sought after chicken farming insurance agent in kentucky
Livewire wrote:You're cooking has bought you a team of body guards wiling to follow you around at school

Till
KAC Member
KAC Member

Re: Baby + Car + Protection question

Post by Till » Fri Jul 20, 2012 2:18 pm

Mirror inside the car so you can see behind you...
---------------------Integrity, Honesty, Discipline, Respect-------------------------
WLJ wrote:Damn I need to install a Till filter.
GeminiXD9 wrote:I hope your fu**in car falls apart while your doing 70 on the highway

CopperWires

Post by CopperWires » Fri Jul 20, 2012 2:24 pm

I don't mean to sound rude in any way...just a little frustrated. But Why does this have to be about mom and their babies?

As a new father to a 4 mo old, I have had tons of questions and everywhere I go its focused towards moms. :(

Anyway, I would like to say that I feel the same way. You're totally right. Situational awareness becomes almost non-existent at this point.

I think it starts way before you put baby in the car. From where you park, to keeping an eye on who is around.

I witnessed a panhandler approach a family at a restaurant during this vulnerable time. They didn't even see him coming. It was a run-in with another panhandler that same night that made me decide I was going to carry.

ssracer
KAC Member
KAC Member
Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 56 times

Post by ssracer » Fri Jul 20, 2012 2:26 pm

I'm guessing you don't have the detachable base car seat. They are the best when they are small. You strap them in in the house then just snap the seat into the base that is already secured in the car

Till
KAC Member
KAC Member

Post by Till » Fri Jul 20, 2012 2:26 pm

Copper no offense but I think it's this way is because bad guys target women more and rape women more then men..
---------------------Integrity, Honesty, Discipline, Respect-------------------------
WLJ wrote:Damn I need to install a Till filter.
GeminiXD9 wrote:I hope your fu**in car falls apart while your doing 70 on the highway

ChickenLady
KAC Member
KAC Member

Post by ChickenLady » Fri Jul 20, 2012 2:33 pm

I do have a detachable seat. But it's the times when I don't want to lug the carseat into the store. Easier to unstrap her and carry. :)

And for me my fear is more that a would be badass would be like "look at that single woman over there, she has no idea what is going on, what an easy prey she is"

I mean they could look at my husband that way.. but I think the intent for him would be a little different than it would be for me.
Livewire wrote:CL, the most sought after chicken farming insurance agent in kentucky
Livewire wrote:You're cooking has bought you a team of body guards wiling to follow you around at school

burn360
KAC Member
KAC Member

Post by burn360 » Fri Jul 20, 2012 3:14 pm

I would say get in on the side with no car seat and close door behind you. might be more work but atleast someone has to open the door before they can grab you.
Hard Core Wild Banshee Style!!!!!

Paula

Post by Paula » Fri Jul 20, 2012 4:25 pm

I use to hate putting a baby in a car at the store. Cart full of groceries, purse, kid. Aaah!

You can load the groceries first and then the baby, if you cart doesn't take off while your loading or your purse get stolen or the weather is bad.

It's a dilemma.
Ky CCDW Instructor
NRA Refuse To Be a Victim Instructor
NRA Pistol Instructor
NRA Shotgun Instructor
Owner Edgewise Knives....

ChopperDoc
KAC Member
KAC Member
Been liked: 1 time

Post by ChopperDoc » Fri Jul 20, 2012 6:55 pm

burn360 wrote:I would say get in on the side with no car seat and close door behind you. might be more work but atleast someone has to open the door before they can grab you.

I did (and my wife did) this. When she was alone she would get in the back seat on the opposite side, close the door, lock it and strap little man in his seat. then get out and go upfront.

This was NOT a lady, but a friend of mine who does carry was putting groceries in the back seat of his car. Had a messican stick a "gun" (he never saw it) against the back of his neck and take his watch and wallet in a Wal Mart parking lot. He never had time to get to his SOB holstered pistol. Best to not put yourself in that situation.
"You rarely rise to the occasion, you usually just sink to your lowest level of training."

Mike
KAC Member
KAC Member
Been liked: 5 times

Post by Mike » Fri Jul 20, 2012 8:19 pm

I get raped all the time. Your stats are skewed.
:llama:

Rem700
KAC Member
KAC Member
Has liked: 110 times
Been liked: 56 times

Post by Rem700 » Fri Jul 20, 2012 8:24 pm

Get in the car, close and lock the door, strap kiddo in and then get out to load groceries or get in the front. It is definitely not the ideal situation but yuou have to make due. I have thought the same many times for my wife and myself.

dbh
KAC Member
KAC Member

Post by dbh » Fri Jul 20, 2012 8:27 pm

Mike wrote:I get raped all the time. Your stats are skewed.
You can't rape the willing !!! :-)

Sent from my secret underground Lair !!

CopperWires

Post by CopperWires » Sat Jul 21, 2012 12:33 am

Till wrote:Copper no offense but I think it's this way is because bad guys target women more and rape women more then men..

Maybe that's what she meant by "vulnerable," but it doesn't matter if you're male or female. When you're bent over in the back seat of the car, you can't see anything around you. It's a very VULNERABLE situation to be in where anyone could approach without you knowing...for whatever reason.

I'm not worried about being raped. LOL.

P.S. Sorry for the rant. I was talking about looking up questions on the internet only to get websites like "Circle of Moms" which is actually a wealth of info.

Return to “Ladies Section”