Basic Firearms training for women in the Louisville area?

For the ladies. Women CCDW classes, female shooters, horse riders, ladies who enjoy the outdoor life and good times. A forum just for you.
Dashammer
Has liked: 0
Been liked: 0

Basic Firearms training for women in the Louisville area?

Post by Dashammer » Fri Jul 26, 2013 4:11 am

I have a niece who shocked the hell out of me last weekend. She want's to learn how to use a firearm, I mean I am talking a basic course. She live's in Louisville and I live in Berea or I would teach her myself. I told her I would ask you ladies for some advice on that subject. I see where TG&G offers a cource for the novice female shooter. Can you ladies give me scoope on training class for her in the Louisville AO. Right now she has her grandfathers S&W police .32 long revolver and a box of ammo and that's it. I can walk her threw getting a different type of pistol if need be. This would just be a personnel defense program for her to start.

ChopperDoc
KAC Member
KAC Member
Been liked: 1 time

Re: Basic Firearms training for women in the Louisville area

Post by ChopperDoc » Fri Jul 26, 2013 9:25 am

RWI offers individual training as well as their scheduled classes.

PM DDgunslinger or 325moutguru
"You rarely rise to the occasion, you usually just sink to your lowest level of training."

DDgunslinger

Post by DDgunslinger » Fri Jul 26, 2013 10:52 am

Let us know, we can do a individual course to suits her needs. Just let us know, shoot us a time frame and we'll see if we can make something happen.

Dashammer

Post by Dashammer » Sat Jul 27, 2013 5:44 am

Cool, I would trust you guys big time with one of my loved one. Can you give me a ball park cost for a basic course. You can PM me if you want.

Jakob
KAC Member
KAC Member

Post by Jakob » Sun Jul 28, 2013 1:52 pm

I'd like to send my wife to a class (woman's only or individual) to build her confidence without me there. She is fine as long as I am with her, but she has no confidence to do things on her own.
Livewire wrote:I remember when this was a free country and not a fascist one filled with limp wristed, tender hearted, liver lipped bunch of whiny ass cry babies.

DDgunslinger

Post by DDgunslinger » Sun Jul 28, 2013 1:56 pm

Jakob wrote:I'd like to send my wife to a class (woman's only or individual) to build her confidence without me there. She is fine as long as I am with her, but she has no confidence to do things on her own.
Just send me a pm with some dates and times she is available and we will try to accommodate.

Vividia
KAC Member
KAC Member

Post by Vividia » Sun Jul 28, 2013 11:19 pm

Some women take more confidence from seeing/hearing other women take things on with them.

Couple weeks ago I was at Open Range in the rifle lanes shooting some bolt guns. Couple guys came in with their ARs all tricked out with gadgets, and their significant others.

Of course, black rifles look all evil and terrifying, and they are loud, too, right? Guy says to girl - "here you try it, it's fun." She says "oh, I dunno it looks like its a lot to handle."

I knew she had been watching me boom off some 30-06, so I spoke up and said "There is very little recoil on an AR. It's not nearly as evil as it looks, don 't fear it. I shoot mine all the time." I figured she would believe me rather than mister tricked out AR.

She shot it, emptied the mag, got a big grin and said to her guy "NOW I know why you come here every week, can I come with you next time?"

I felt like I had done my civic duty LOL.

The moral of the story is, a class for women is a good thing. Remember, half the population is women, and women in practice control way more than half the buying power. Just some women are reluctant to take classes with guys due to 1) don't want macho honey pressuring them; 2) are timid and don't want to be rushed; 3) want to learn but not get yelled at or 4) don't want to look stupid in front of the guys; or myriad other reasons.

I bet if DD and company tailored a class for women, and addressed their unique needs, they would get some takers. I know they would do a good job.
Mexican Kerry wrote:Except for Viv. I predict she will be the leader of a group that roams the countryside pillaging for survival.
It is hardly too strong to say that the Constitution was made to guard the people against the dangers of good intentions. There are men in all ages who mean to govern well, but they mean to govern. They promise to be good masters, but they mean to be masters. - Daniel Webster

Eireguy
Has liked: 17 times

Post by Eireguy » Mon Jul 29, 2013 10:41 am

I know kimdw on here went to the one @ tg&g.maybe she'll chime in

DDgunslinger

Post by DDgunslinger » Mon Jul 29, 2013 11:33 am

All shooters have unique needs, gender makes no difference. Not everyone learns the same, not everyone has the same strengths and weaknesses. I've taught several female shooters over the years, some never handling firearm prior, some with a decent amount of experience with a weapon. We teach the shooter, not the gender. We do have a female instructor as well, if a female shooters attends a course and is more comfortable learning from another female. We had several spouses of forum members attend our Significant other course last year and they all loved it.

Viv - You are most certainly correct on how some male shooters act with their other half at the range. They can be over bearing, and extremely critical. This alot of times can cause a new shooters female/male alike to not enjoy the experience or even shy away from it.

As an instructor these are just my personal views on subject, I will also note an all Female course is never out of the question. Our job is to teach and we will do whatever we can to accomplish that mission.

RecoilSensitive
KAC Member
KAC Member
Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 2 times

Post by RecoilSensitive » Thu Aug 01, 2013 4:48 pm

there is one coming up soon like week or 2 at TG&G saw it on the board shooting there tues
"But now," he said, "take your money and a traveler's bag. And if you don't have a sword, sell your cloak and buy one" -Jesus (Luke 22:36 NLT)

Paula

Post by Paula » Fri Aug 02, 2013 1:30 pm

I am not in the Louisville area (about 35 miles) but I have an NRA Basic Pistol class I am teaching in September. I do not have a date set yet, as I have some materials I have to get from the them. I will have a date for sure about a week and a half.

I do talk about some things that are gender specific to women.
Ky CCDW Instructor
NRA Refuse To Be a Victim Instructor
NRA Pistol Instructor
NRA Shotgun Instructor
Owner Edgewise Knives....

Return to “Ladies Section”