For firearms enthusiasts from lovers of Glock, AR-15, XD, 1911s, shotguns, AK-47s, to black powder. For shooters, hunters, LEO'S, military, or casual enthusiasts. KAC is about firearms, and all the good things in life. Welcome!
It is currently Mon Nov 20, 2017 7:27 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]




Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 30 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
Author Message
 Post subject: New EDC knife.
Post Number:#1  PostPosted: Mon May 01, 2017 10:34 pm 
Offline
KAC Member
KAC Member
User avatar

Joined: Sun Mar 04, 2012 2:10 pm
Posts: 8752
Location: Louisville
Okay so I am looking to pick up a new edc knife since I have trashed and or lost a few lately.

Requirements:
Assisted opening
Lefty friendly (have the little flipper not just studs)
Concealment clip
Easy to sharpen
Hold decent edge
Pretty thin (I carry in back pocket)
3" or so blade (2.75-3.1)


Knives I have had or do have
Kershaw Cryo 2. - good knife but a little too big and heavy
Kershaw Ember- I like this little knife but too small for most things I do
Gerper skeleton 2" blade. Good little knife but not one hand operation
Esee Zancudo- again nice little knife but not assisted.
Ozark trail folder. Actually what I have on me now since I broke the clip on my Cryo 2 and needed something to beat up until I buy something else. Not a bad knife for $3.50

_________________
"But now," he said, "take your money and a traveler's bag. And if you don't have a sword, sell your cloak and buy one" -Jesus (Luke 22:36 NLT)


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: New EDC knife.
Post Number:#2  PostPosted: Mon May 01, 2017 10:45 pm 
Offline
Little Butthole
User avatar

Joined: Sun Mar 04, 2012 3:04 am
Posts: 9611
Location: Northern Kentucky
Budget? Under $50?

_________________
"I don't retreat; I kick ass in the other direction."


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: New EDC knife.
Post Number:#3  PostPosted: Mon May 01, 2017 11:21 pm 
Offline
KAC Member
KAC Member
User avatar

Joined: Sat Mar 03, 2012 9:24 pm
Posts: 30623
Location: KY
I'm really wanting a karambit

_________________
https://www.facebook.com/S.Dobbins.Photo
Image
http://www.youtube.com/user/ssracer02


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: New EDC knife.
Post Number:#4  PostPosted: Tue May 02, 2017 12:10 am 
Offline
KAC Member
KAC Member
User avatar

Joined: Sat Mar 03, 2012 9:23 pm
Posts: 8575
Location: Louisville, KY
Benchmade 940. Buy once, cry once. I've been beating on mine for 5 months and it just keeps on slicing. Holds an edge a stupid long time even cutting paper on a pressboard table and boxes all day. Scraping stickers off metal parts has not damaged it. Sharpened it once since I bought it, I just hit it on the strop wheel about once a week is all for maintenance.


Image

_________________
"Now the well-salted machining crowd amongst us will know that I'm going for a Reverse Rhodesian Reach-Around technique with the boring bar. I like to try new things on gummy or aerospace materials. Now normally I would recommend you'd go with the cutting angulations that you know; the heat of the meat being directly proportional with the angle of the dangle and the mass of the ass. However, in this case, we just don't know." -AvE

Nemo me impune lacessit


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: New EDC knife.
Post Number:#5  PostPosted: Tue May 02, 2017 6:24 am 
Offline
KAC Member
KAC Member
User avatar

Joined: Sat Mar 03, 2012 10:22 pm
Posts: 2417
Location: Carrollton
I been rocking ganzo, they are a china knife but very good quality. They make a bunch of "parts" for benchmade and have many of the same styles, locks, and so on. I have carried one for about 18 months and find them to be perfect. Knives are in the 20 dollar range, you dpnt die when you loose it, easy to sharpen, hold an edge, and look great. I have 6 or 7 of them.


Attachments:
ganzo-g753-g7533-cf-camping-tactical-pocket.jpg
ganzo-g753-g7533-cf-camping-tactical-pocket.jpg [ 1.15 MiB | Viewed 472 times ]

_________________
By grace , through faith, in Christ
Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: New EDC knife.
Post Number:#6  PostPosted: Tue May 02, 2017 10:35 am 
Offline
KAC Member
KAC Member
User avatar

Joined: Sat Mar 03, 2012 9:01 pm
Posts: 10113
Location: Spring, TX
Ken Onion Scallion or Leek. Everything you said you wanted at a reasonable price.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N910A using Tapatalk

_________________
IN GOD WE TRUST

"That boy's paradigm don't always add up to four nickels...."


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: New EDC knife.
Post Number:#7  PostPosted: Tue May 02, 2017 11:25 am 
Offline
KAC Member
KAC Member

Joined: Sun Mar 04, 2012 10:47 am
Posts: 23908
Location: Probably at my soul crushing job!
Anyone want to do a tutorial on knife sharpening? With vids or pics? I have a few i need to sharpen up. I know SOL did one a while back.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: New EDC knife.
Post Number:#8  PostPosted: Tue May 02, 2017 11:45 am 
Offline
KAC Member
KAC Member
User avatar

Joined: Sat Mar 03, 2012 9:24 pm
Posts: 30623
Location: KY
I've just got one of those lansky kits that I use to sharpen. Progressively finer stones

_________________
https://www.facebook.com/S.Dobbins.Photo
Image
http://www.youtube.com/user/ssracer02


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: New EDC knife.
Post Number:#9  PostPosted: Tue May 02, 2017 1:14 pm 
Offline
KAC Member
KAC Member
User avatar

Joined: Wed Jul 25, 2012 9:11 pm
Posts: 11765
Location: Louisville
I'll probably get flamed for this, but, I use a sharpener my wife bought from pampered chef. It is the type you draw the blade through a pair of V shaped ceramic rods. I have used many different methods over the years and that Pampered Chef sharpener gives me the sharpest blades the easiest and quickest of any sharpener I've tried. I have a Lansky sharpener and it is awesome, especially if you are trying to repair a damaged blade. The Pampered Chef is more of a maintenance sharpener than something you would try to fix a really dull or damaged blade.

_________________
jackalo626 wrote:
Skibble dee dibbledy


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: New EDC knife.
Post Number:#10  PostPosted: Tue May 02, 2017 3:41 pm 
Offline
KAC Member
KAC Member
User avatar

Joined: Sun Mar 04, 2012 2:10 pm
Posts: 8752
Location: Louisville
Whootsinator wrote:
Budget? Under $50?


Under $65

_________________
"But now," he said, "take your money and a traveler's bag. And if you don't have a sword, sell your cloak and buy one" -Jesus (Luke 22:36 NLT)


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: New EDC knife.
Post Number:#11  PostPosted: Tue May 02, 2017 3:43 pm 
Offline
KAC Member
KAC Member
User avatar

Joined: Sun Mar 04, 2012 2:10 pm
Posts: 8752
Location: Louisville
ssracer wrote:
I'm really wanting a karambit


Too tactical. I use the blade for work a lot and can't scare people lol

_________________
"But now," he said, "take your money and a traveler's bag. And if you don't have a sword, sell your cloak and buy one" -Jesus (Luke 22:36 NLT)


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: New EDC knife.
Post Number:#12  PostPosted: Tue May 02, 2017 3:53 pm 
Offline
Founding Father
Founding Father

Joined: Sat Mar 03, 2012 9:06 pm
Posts: 20476
Wyldman wrote:
Ken Onion Scallion or Leek. Everything you said you wanted at a reasonable price.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N910A using Tapatalk

Gotta 2nd the leek. Slightly larger than what you want but very light and checks off all your boxes. I can't imagine breaking the pocket clip. I carry one now in my back pocket and most knives I actually remove the pocket clip since its either weak or is uncomfortable but this one is neither.

I actually have 2. I like the partially serrated one less so I carry it since I don't care if it gets beat up. The only thing I don't love about it is the flat blade shape.

_________________
Mandy wrote:
I meant Marcus post, he's like ninja slicer, he's nice he's nice he's nice, ....SWISH... he cuts your effin head off ;)


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: New EDC knife.
Post Number:#13  PostPosted: Tue May 02, 2017 4:10 pm 
Offline
KAC Member
KAC Member
User avatar

Joined: Wed Jul 25, 2012 9:11 pm
Posts: 11765
Location: Louisville
Marcus wrote:
Wyldman wrote:
Ken Onion Scallion or Leek. Everything you said you wanted at a reasonable price.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N910A using Tapatalk

Gotta 2nd the leek. Slightly larger than what you want but very light and checks off all your boxes. I can't imagine breaking the pocket clip. I carry one now in my back pocket and most knives I actually remove the pocket clip since its either weak or is uncomfortable but this one is neither.

I actually have 2. I like the partially serrated one less so I carry it since I don't care if it gets beat up. The only thing I don't love about it is the flat blade shape.


I have a couple Leeks. Love them. Both of them are the cheap version from WM. I haven't had one with the partially serrated blade. Both of mine are plain. The tip of my first one got broke. But, it wasn't the knife's fault. It was abused mercilessly for a couple years. The size is awesome. They are also very slick/quick blades to open. Ambidextrous as well.

I forgot I had it with me one time going to a concert at the Yum. I literally stuck it in my shoe and walked through security when they were wanding everyone. I don't think I could get my ZT that I edc in my shoe. :-)

_________________
jackalo626 wrote:
Skibble dee dibbledy


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: New EDC knife.
Post Number:#14  PostPosted: Tue May 02, 2017 4:17 pm 
Offline
KAC Member
KAC Member
User avatar

Joined: Sat Mar 03, 2012 9:01 pm
Posts: 10113
Location: Spring, TX
The Scallion is the same as the Leak, but slightly smaller and a very slightly different shape. I actually have one of each in damascus steel. My son got them for me as presents. I carry the Leak in my right pocket and the Scallion in my watch pocket. It's nice to always have 2 good blades on me. If I ever lose either one, I WILL replace it.

As much as I love my ZT 0350, it lives in my left pocket, when I carry it at all. It balances out the wieght of the 2 Onion blades on the right side.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N910A using Tapatalk

_________________
IN GOD WE TRUST

"That boy's paradigm don't always add up to four nickels...."


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: New EDC knife.
Post Number:#15  PostPosted: Tue May 02, 2017 6:53 pm 
Offline
Global Mod
Global Mod

Joined: Sat Mar 03, 2012 9:50 pm
Posts: 24566
Location: Louisville
ssracer wrote:
I'm really wanting a karambit

Dude.....cmon man.....

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: New EDC knife.
Post Number:#16  PostPosted: Tue May 02, 2017 6:56 pm 
Offline
Global Mod
Global Mod

Joined: Sat Mar 03, 2012 9:50 pm
Posts: 24566
Location: Louisville
ssracer wrote:
I've just got one of those lansky kits that I use to sharpen. Progressively finer stones

I have and dig.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: New EDC knife.
Post Number:#17  PostPosted: Tue May 02, 2017 6:59 pm 
Offline
Global Mod
Global Mod

Joined: Sat Mar 03, 2012 9:50 pm
Posts: 24566
Location: Louisville
son of liberty wrote:
I been rocking ganzo, they are a china knife but very good quality. They make a bunch of "parts" for benchmade and have many of the same styles, locks, and so on. I have carried one for about 18 months and find them to be perfect. Knives are in the 20 dollar range, you dpnt die when you loose it, easy to sharpen, hold an edge, and look great. I have 6 or 7 of them.

Why do you have 6 or 7 of the same knife if I am reading that right? Just curious, I always just keep the same one for a long time and hearing others ideas are interesting.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: New EDC knife.
Post Number:#18  PostPosted: Tue May 02, 2017 7:01 pm 
Offline
Global Mod
Global Mod

Joined: Sat Mar 03, 2012 9:50 pm
Posts: 24566
Location: Louisville
Also never met anyone that carries in their back pocket until this thread.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: New EDC knife.
Post Number:#19  PostPosted: Tue May 02, 2017 7:09 pm 
Offline
KAC Member
KAC Member
User avatar

Joined: Sun Mar 04, 2012 9:56 am
Posts: 17655
jackalo626 wrote:
son of liberty wrote:
I been rocking ganzo, they are a china knife but very good quality. They make a bunch of "parts" for benchmade and have many of the same styles, locks, and so on. I have carried one for about 18 months and find them to be perfect. Knives are in the 20 dollar range, you dpnt die when you loose it, easy to sharpen, hold an edge, and look great. I have 6 or 7 of them.

Why do you have 6 or 7 of the same knife if I am reading that right? Just curious, I always just keep the same one for a long time and hearing others ideas are interesting.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk



Like Benchmade, there are tons of models of them. Since he mentioned it I have been looking at them on ebay. Lots of color and blade and design options. Quite a few of them for $20 delivered. Think I will get a few myself. My EDC's are generally the Esee cheap versions (zancuto or avispa) or a few different benchmades or a couple different Kershaws.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: New EDC knife.
Post Number:#20  PostPosted: Tue May 02, 2017 7:11 pm 
Offline
Global Mod
Global Mod

Joined: Sat Mar 03, 2012 9:50 pm
Posts: 24566
Location: Louisville
Dave1965 wrote:
jackalo626 wrote:
son of liberty wrote:
I been rocking ganzo, they are a china knife but very good quality. They make a bunch of "parts" for benchmade and have many of the same styles, locks, and so on. I have carried one for about 18 months and find them to be perfect. Knives are in the 20 dollar range, you dpnt die when you loose it, easy to sharpen, hold an edge, and look great. I have 6 or 7 of them.

Why do you have 6 or 7 of the same knife if I am reading that right? Just curious, I always just keep the same one for a long time and hearing others ideas are interesting.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk



Like Benchmade, there are tons of models of them. Since he mentioned it I have been looking at them on ebay. Lots of color and blade and design options. Quite a few of them for $20 delivered. Think I will get a few myself. My EDC's are generally the Esee cheap versions (zancuto or avispa) or a few different benchmades or a couple different Kershaws.

If they are different knives, I get it. I was asking because I said it read they were the same knives so I asked.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: New EDC knife.
Post Number:#21  PostPosted: Tue May 02, 2017 7:57 pm 
Offline
KAC Member
KAC Member
User avatar

Joined: Sat Mar 03, 2012 9:24 pm
Posts: 30623
Location: KY
Wyldman wrote:
The Scallion is the same as the Leak, but slightly smaller and a very slightly different shape. I actually have one of each in damascus steel. My son got them for me as presents. I carry the Leak in my right pocket and the Scallion in my watch pocket. It's nice to always have 2 good blades on me. If I ever lose either one, I WILL replace it.

As much as I love my ZT 0350, it lives in my left pocket, when I carry it at all. It balances out the wieght of the 2 Onion blades on the right side.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N910A using Tapatalk

Try the 0300...I carry that every day...my buddies call it the baby elephant killer..lol

_________________
https://www.facebook.com/S.Dobbins.Photo
Image
http://www.youtube.com/user/ssracer02


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: New EDC knife.
Post Number:#22  PostPosted: Tue May 02, 2017 8:23 pm 
Offline
Little Butthole
User avatar

Joined: Sun Mar 04, 2012 3:04 am
Posts: 9611
Location: Northern Kentucky
ZT-9 for EDC. Anything less is hardly a knife.

_________________
"I don't retreat; I kick ass in the other direction."


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: New EDC knife.
Post Number:#23  PostPosted: Tue May 02, 2017 8:33 pm 
Offline
KAC Member
KAC Member
User avatar

Joined: Sun Mar 04, 2012 2:10 pm
Posts: 8752
Location: Louisville
Whootsinator wrote:
ZT-9 for EDC. Anything less is hardly a knife.



Lol. Who are you crocodile dundee

_________________
"But now," he said, "take your money and a traveler's bag. And if you don't have a sword, sell your cloak and buy one" -Jesus (Luke 22:36 NLT)


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: New EDC knife.
Post Number:#24  PostPosted: Tue May 02, 2017 8:36 pm 
Offline
KAC Member
KAC Member
User avatar

Joined: Sat Mar 03, 2012 10:22 pm
Posts: 2417
Location: Carrollton
jackalo626 wrote:
Dave1965 wrote:
jackalo626 wrote:
son of liberty wrote:
I been rocking ganzo, they are a china knife but very good quality. They make a bunch of "parts" for benchmade and have many of the same styles, locks, and so on. I have carried one for about 18 months and find them to be perfect. Knives are in the 20 dollar range, you dpnt die when you loose it, easy to sharpen, hold an edge, and look great. I have 6 or 7 of them.

Why do you have 6 or 7 of the same knife if I am reading that right? Just curious, I always just keep the same one for a long time and hearing others ideas are interesting.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk



Like Benchmade, there are tons of models of them. Since he mentioned it I have been looking at them on ebay. Lots of color and blade and design options. Quite a few of them for $20 delivered. Think I will get a few myself. My EDC's are generally the Esee cheap versions (zancuto or avispa) or a few different benchmades or a couple different Kershaws.

If they are different knives, I get it. I was asking because I said it read they were the same knives so I asked.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk


They are diffrent models ,I keep a bunch of them around because they get lost or dull and I can just grab another and go with it. The ganzo 720 is a beast! Dont be fooled these are great knives and the 720 can be battoned , it is as close to a fixed blade as a folder can get Imo. Plenty of vids of it just being beat to heck and for 23 bucks its about the best deal around.
Attachment:
IMG_2050ke2.jpg
IMG_2050ke2.jpg [ 583.96 KiB | Viewed 406 times ]


The pampered cheft sharpener is not a bad thing, I think you would be better off with a strop and some green buffing pitch but use what works for ya.

I do keep a bunch of swiss army knives around, just grab one out of the key bowl when you head out some times they get left in dirt clothes or by my bed but they all make there way back to the bowl at some point.

The kershaw knives are great , my brother carries one with the s30v steel and its a beast. Pain to sharpen but i sharpen it 3 times a year. Look out though certin kershaw models come from china some from the USA , if im going to buy a china knife im going with ganzo so it must be a usa kershaw, but overall good knives.

You get no more buying lesser quality steel even in a name brand so shop not only style but steel, style determines how sharp, steel how long that edge last. Final thought, even the china steel is state of the art, most all modern steels blow away there 30year old equivalent so shop well.

_________________
By grace , through faith, in Christ


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: New EDC knife.
Post Number:#25  PostPosted: Tue May 02, 2017 9:02 pm 
Offline
Global Mod
Global Mod

Joined: Sat Mar 03, 2012 9:50 pm
Posts: 24566
Location: Louisville
Ah good deal, thanks for explaining. I have the s30v USA Kershaw as one of mine also. I have seen those gonzo because that is a lion steel knock off I was going to buy the lion steel and was led to that page looking at an image gallery. I carry a protech for last year and a half that is auto and USA made that I love.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk


Top
 Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 30 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
cron
Powered by phpBB® Forum Software © phpBB Group