My new folder kicks the shit out of all my other folders

Edged weapons, blades, pocketknives, swords, whatever has a blade.
Mexican Kerry
KAC Member
KAC Member
Has liked: 0
Been liked: 12 times

My new folder kicks the shit out of all my other folders

Post by Mexican Kerry » Tue Nov 17, 2015 1:53 am

Bought this Benchmade Volli a few weeks ago. My Daughter has a Mini Barrage (154 CM) and when I asked her if I could have it, she said "If you can take it."

Fair enough, I'll buy my own. Don't want to get stuck by a surly 13 yr old girl.

I like pocket knives more than fixed blades, and I'm a sucker for a decent assisted opener. So I picked up the Volli, 3.25" blade with G10 scales and an S30V blade.

Before that I was carrying either my KOA Blaze with a D2 blade or KOA Featherlight Hunter with D2 steel (not an assisted opener but a great knife for the pocket).

The Blaze is a good knife, great steel and a solid opener with a very positive assist. Try one and disagree. But its big. Also, mine is an earlier model and the blade lock is a cross bolt that is aligned to rub your leg through the pants and is a constant irritation. Carried it for a couple years though, solid knife.

The Featherlight Hunter is a great knife too, quite a bit smaller but very streamlined. Only complaint is the pocket clip is oversized so it snags on things. Almost lost it a few times, and bent the clip when I carved a corner too sharp going through a doorway.

I've only had the Volli for a little while but its a keeper. Been using it every day for anything from trimming a thread off my tux to hacking branches in the shit :llama:. Assist is comparable to my KOA Blaze but its a little smaller and fits the pocket and hand better. Comfortable in hand, and I like the blade release more. One hand to open or close and no risk of nipping the finger with the blade when closing like knives with a spring steel blade lock. And its truly ambidextrous, the clip can be attached on either the left or right, and all the controls are friendly to either. Lock is on top, release is ambi as well as the opening stud on the blade. I know lots of folders have an ambi stub but this one has it all.

Another advantage is the orientation of the pocket clip (point up). Took a bit of getting used to but when you pull it from your pocket its ready to flip open without mucking around. Slide thumb into pocket alongside knife and pull and flip, ready to carve. Every pocket clip knife I've had before was point down so you had to adjust grip 180 degrees. Another bonus is the clip is so lo profile that you don't even notice it when using, very comfortable knife.

I didn't touch the blade when I got it, and its been cutting clean every time I use it. Might need a little dressing now but I'm impressed with it so far. No combat but haven't been easy on it and it doesn't show a mark.

Pics of it with my previous two assisted knives, the Blaze and a "S&W" flicker I bought a few years ago at a gun show.

Not a high end custom, but probably the nicest folder I've had my mitts on. Great knife for sticking in your pocket and everyday use. Just wanted to share, I'm not paid for this.

DDgunslinger
Been liked: 0

Re: My new folder kicks the shit out of all my other folders

Post by DDgunslinger » Tue Nov 17, 2015 6:28 am

Good deal, I've carried Benchmade for years, the last one being the Adamas 275. It is a beast of a knife and has held up to some wicked use in the field, along with daily carry. The only gripe to be had is its pretty heavy for EDC. I've been carrying my ZT 0560 for awhile now, It's half the weight and built just as solid.

Marcus
Founding Father
Founding Father
Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 61 times

Post by Marcus » Tue Nov 17, 2015 6:48 am

Nice review. I always like real world feedback like this.
Mandy wrote:I meant Marcus post, he's like ninja slicer, he's nice he's nice he's nice, ....SWISH... he cuts your effin head off ;)

Gunsmokin
KAC Member
KAC Member
Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 20 times

Post by Gunsmokin » Tue Nov 17, 2015 6:56 am

Marcus wrote:Nice review. I always like real world feedback like this.
+1
jackalo626 wrote:Skibble dee dibbledy

Mexican Kerry
KAC Member
KAC Member

Post by Mexican Kerry » Tue Nov 17, 2015 10:52 am

I looked at the Adamas too, like you said it's big. I've got the 375. Haven't used it as much but my son loves it.

Niceguy
KAC Member
KAC Member
Has liked: 328 times
Been liked: 91 times

Post by Niceguy » Tue Nov 17, 2015 11:11 am

Now that I've carried a knife daily for a few years now I kinda would like something really nice, but I just can't bring myself to drop good money on something that does the same thing as my Esee $30 folder that I'm happy with. I REALLY abuse them. I use it daily to cut paper, tape, braided hose, wire, to lightly pry shit, god only knows what else...

Mexican Kerry
KAC Member
KAC Member

Post by Mexican Kerry » Tue Nov 17, 2015 8:01 pm

Niceguy wrote:Now that I've carried a knife daily for a few years now I kinda would like something really nice, but I just can't bring myself to drop good money on something that does the same thing as my Esee $30 folder that I'm happy with. I REALLY abuse them. I use it daily to cut paper, tape, braided hose, wire, to lightly pry shit, god only knows what else...
Fair enough. I had a 30 dollar Buck for years and gave it to a fisherman in Mexico a while ago. It served me well enough for everything from daily box cutting to skinning deer. It needed sharpening often and the blade worked its way loose over time. I'm really happy with the S30V blade in this one, like I said its still got a decent edge on it despite daily use. Cut a bunch of 3 wire extension cords today with it, no noticeable difference after. Was cutting buggered ends off cords for repair and wanted to see if it would lose its edge. Not yet. Not very scientific but if it can do that repeatedly I'm part way to being impressed. The blade is still sharp enough to take hair off my arm.

There is a trade off to having a blade that doesn't need to be sharpened as often, often easier to damage. But there is also common sense. If the sky is falling and all you have is a knife then by all means use it for whatever you need to do. But if you simply want to tighten up the screw holding the dresser knob, then save the knife and get a screwdriver.

I haven't used it for prying anything more than a cap off a beer bottle, but I know I could break the tip off the blade if I tried. No real need to test that as I usually have other tools somewhere nearby.

Like I said before, its no high end custom. But its a good enough knife, and it did cost enough that if I lost it I'd be pissed. But I like it enough that if I lost it I'd buy another just like it.

Return to “Edged Weapons”