Habilis bush tool

Edged weapons, blades, pocketknives, swords, whatever has a blade.
silverbakdevil
Has liked: 0
Been liked: 0

Habilis bush tool

Post by silverbakdevil » Mon Aug 19, 2013 6:54 pm

wondering if any of you guys have tried this tool if so your thoughts good, bad, other?
" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

[youtube]M2B8FeExnqw[/youtube]

outmotherf****in the man since 1971

son of liberty
KAC Member
KAC Member

Re: Habilis bush tool

Post by son of liberty » Mon Aug 19, 2013 7:16 pm

first the faults, The scandi grind with an edge bevel. This grind is chap any easy to make, but lacks all the good of the scandi and all the good of say a flat grind with edge bevel. Plainly put the first year of sharpening may be easy , but after that you will have to grind off so much by hand that you should just make your own. You could fix this by working it to a real scandi edge or convexing the whole thing but not worth buying if you got to do all that.

Its to large to daily carry, some may not fault that but if your going to only use it while your woods stomping why not bring a mora and a hand saw or axe or something.

seems like its made well, I have no issues with build quality

seems workable, ill not say it junk, just not for me

it really just a french trade pattern knife given a neat name with some otherwise useless changes to make it appear more useful when explained in detail, with tha cheapest grind they could throw on it.

silverbakdevil

Post by silverbakdevil » Mon Aug 19, 2013 8:05 pm

thank you for the great insight on this i was thinking of pulling the trigger but your valid points have cast a new light on the tool
thanks for taking the time

Livewire
Founding Father
Founding Father
Has liked: 11 times
Been liked: 19 times

Post by Livewire » Mon Aug 19, 2013 9:00 pm

SOL has saved several of us some money the same way. :)

silverbakdevil

Post by silverbakdevil » Mon Aug 19, 2013 9:32 pm

and it's greatly appreciated

son of liberty
KAC Member
KAC Member

Post by son of liberty » Mon Aug 19, 2013 10:18 pm

Im not against spending some money for a good knife , really the hours that go in to a quality tool require it. I am against this trend that everything hand made is better, further the more you complicate the knife with notches for this or that , or some crazy belly , or multi grinds , the further you specialize it for a single task , when the truth is man perfected the tool hundreds of years ago and now its just a matter of applying current science to age old tools.

My personal woods knife is nothing more then a styled nice looking Mora , and I often just carry a Mora as im not afraid to loose it.

The scandi grind is a great wood working edge that is strong an durable, its also cheap and easy to do so the final cost should reflect that. Mora is just about the best value, helle are very very nice and a step up. Further you could go with a hand made from someone like http://graywolfknives.com/Products.php

American woodsmen seem to be much more hunting based then wood craft, we are more prone to have a small arm and not be in such a need to trap building or carving our own cup but to kill game and fish. As such we tend to favor the flat grinds that allow better deep slicing , something more like a kitchen knife, In fact for many years in the early days kitchen knives were that standard and many of the shapes of butchering knives are a direct result of that. Many here love the Esee knives and with good cause , but they are nothing but a bit more fancy Kephart knife
Esee 4
Kephart knife

My overall point here being that they can add a notch here , and give it a cool name , but its the same darn tool used for hundreds of years and simple dose that same job as fancy knives.

Mora is hard to beat at there price , Some of the Svord Kiwi knives seem like they are worth the few more bucks, but you are not going to buy a better knife , just a nicer looking one.

fromkentucky

Post by fromkentucky » Tue Sep 03, 2013 1:46 pm

If I wanted a knatchet, I'd probably just get a Kabar Warthog.
"A citizen may not be required to offer a 'good and substantial reason' why he should be permitted to exercise his rights. The right's existence is all the reason he needs."

-U.S. District Judge Benson Everett Legg

Return to “Edged Weapons”