Opinions on the Council Tool Hudson Bay Camp Axe?

Edged weapons, blades, pocketknives, swords, whatever has a blade.
fromkentucky
Has liked: 0
Been liked: 0

Opinions on the Council Tool Hudson Bay Camp Axe?

Post by fromkentucky » Thu Jul 18, 2013 1:24 pm

http://www.counciltool.com/product.asp? ... em=175HB28

They're around $60 with a sheath. I know Council's Velvicut line is top notch, comparable to Wetterlings and the like, but I don't know anything about the standard line.

I want something a little bigger than my hatchet, like a "Boy's Axe" or "Forest Axe" (1.5-2lb head, 24-28" handle).
"A citizen may not be required to offer a 'good and substantial reason' why he should be permitted to exercise his rights. The right's existence is all the reason he needs."

-U.S. District Judge Benson Everett Legg

ChopperDoc
KAC Member
KAC Member
Been liked: 1 time

Re: Opinions on the Council Tool Hudson Bay Camp Axe?

Post by ChopperDoc » Thu Jul 18, 2013 2:20 pm

I have the Velvicut Camp axe. pretty dang nice. I am no lumberjack, but it is perfect for camp chopping applications where I don't need a full size axe to weigh down a pack but still have bigger jobs to do than a hatchet will handle easily.

The big selling point for me was the craftsmanship and made here in the USA. before I found their site I assumed that all stuff like that was made in China now.

I found an article about the importance of an axe that size to the woodsman / survivalist in a copy of The Backwoodsman magazine

http://www.backwoodsmanmag.com/

And the writer mentioned Council Tool in his article as some he relies on. i doubt you could go wrong with it and I imagine that whether you go with the more expensive Velvicut or the standard head really depends more on how much you are going to use it between sharpening.
"You rarely rise to the occasion, you usually just sink to your lowest level of training."

ChopperDoc
KAC Member
KAC Member
Been liked: 1 time

Post by ChopperDoc » Thu Jul 18, 2013 2:23 pm

not sure what part of town you are in but you are welcome to put hands on mine to see if you like the weight and feel before you decide to buy one.
"You rarely rise to the occasion, you usually just sink to your lowest level of training."

fromkentucky

Post by fromkentucky » Thu Jul 18, 2013 3:01 pm

ChopperDoc wrote:not sure what part of town you are in but you are welcome to put hands on mine to see if you like the weight and feel before you decide to buy one.
Love to! I'm in the Highlands mainly.

Part of me really wants a Wetterlings Fine Forester's Axe, but I want to actually use a camp axe before I can justify the cost.
"A citizen may not be required to offer a 'good and substantial reason' why he should be permitted to exercise his rights. The right's existence is all the reason he needs."

son of liberty
KAC Member
KAC Member

Post by son of liberty » Thu Jul 18, 2013 4:50 pm

My opinion on Axes is a bit different then most, but it comes from being a logger and later an arborist for the better part of my life.

Any 2 handed axe, should be long enough so that a standing man can swing it and make contact with the ground before his own body. That should also be the practice of any one using an axe, to position ones self so that the axe contacts the ground before it gets to a foot or knee. I dont mind small axes provided they are rehafted to the correct length. Both of the terms " get a handle on it" and "get the hang of it" are terms that came from the old timers who swung and axe all day. They are speaking of an axe that is not the proper length for there body.

Bahco seems to make a good axe that I would actually get before a lower end council, but im sure with care it would treat you just fine as most people dont really know how to care for one and have never used one that was well cared for so just taking care of it will make it feel like a hot rod. I resharpened/reprofiled the neighbors harbor fright hatchet a year or so ago and he swears that I have voodoo. Just take care of what ever you get and im sure it will be well up to your tasks.

irishrob
KAC Member
KAC Member
Has liked: 74 times
Been liked: 62 times

Post by irishrob » Thu Jul 18, 2013 5:29 pm

I have a Gerber Axe saw combo that I will take to the woods with me. Saw stores in the handle & comes in handy. Locked in with magnets. Wrapped paracord around the handle & looped over the saw so it will be more secured.

fromkentucky

Post by fromkentucky » Thu Jul 18, 2013 6:16 pm

son of liberty wrote:My opinion on Axes is a bit different then most, but it comes from being a logger and later an arborist for the better part of my life.

Any 2 handed axe, should be long enough so that a standing man can swing it and make contact with the ground before his own body. That should also be the practice of any one using an axe, to position ones self so that the axe contacts the ground before it gets to a foot or knee. I dont mind small axes provided they are rehafted to the correct length. Both of the terms " get a handle on it" and "get the hang of it" are terms that came from the old timers who swung and axe all day. They are speaking of an axe that is not the proper length for there body.

Bahco seems to make a good axe that I would actually get before a lower end council, but im sure with care it would treat you just fine as most people dont really know how to care for one and have never used one that was well cared for so just taking care of it will make it feel like a hot rod. I resharpened/reprofiled the neighbors harbor fright hatchet a year or so ago and he swears that I have voodoo. Just take care of what ever you get and im sure it will be well up to your tasks.
Definitely good points to consider. I wanted something shorter so I could pack it around the woods easier. Part of me is considering just thinning and bearding the blade of a Northern Tool 24oz. Camp Axe head and mounting it on a boy's axe handle.

If you're talking about the Bahco Felling Axe, at 3.5lbs and 32" long, I feel like it's just a lot more axe than I need, but then again I'm speaking from limited experience.

fromkentucky

Post by fromkentucky » Thu Jul 18, 2013 6:29 pm

irishrob wrote:I have a Gerber Axe saw combo that I will take to the woods with me. Saw stores in the handle & comes in handy. Locked in with magnets. Wrapped paracord around the handle & looped over the saw so it will be more secured.
Lemme know how it works out. I love my Fiskars X7 and was also considering the 23.5" version, which is almost identical to the Gerber.

BIGC
Has liked: 14 times
Been liked: 3 times

Post by BIGC » Thu Jul 18, 2013 6:33 pm

fromkentucky wrote:
irishrob wrote:I have a Gerber Axe saw combo that I will take to the woods with me. Saw stores in the handle & comes in handy. Locked in with magnets. Wrapped paracord around the handle & looped over the saw so it will be more secured.
Lemme know how it works out. I love my Fiskars X7 and was also considering the 23.5" version, which is almost identical to the Gerber.

The gerbers are made by Fiskars.....
1 Corinthians 13:13

And now these three remain: faith, hope and love. But the greatest of these is love.

http://stores.ebay.com/Big-Cs-Survival-Store?_rdc=1

son of liberty
KAC Member
KAC Member

Post by son of liberty » Thu Jul 18, 2013 6:58 pm

fromkentucky wrote:
son of liberty wrote:My opinion on Axes is a bit different then most, but it comes from being a logger and later an arborist for the better part of my life.

Definitely good points to consider. I wanted something shorter so I could pack it around the woods easier. Part of me is considering just thinning and bearding the blade of a Northern Tool 24oz. Camp Axe head and mounting it on a boy's axe handle.

If you're talking about the Bahco Felling Axe, at 3.5lbs and 32" long, I feel like it's just a lot more axe than I need, but then again I'm speaking from limited experience.

Im actually talking about the Bahco 2.25 pound head , it really dose not matter to me the length of the axe as listed , as I said I rehaft them all first thing to fit myself. The Axe is very interesting really, you can trace the westward expansion of the nation in the styles of axe, as the woods changed so did the axe. As it happens, I dont really like a Hudson Bay axe for my use, Im sure that its well capable but for this region, I feel im better off with little to no beard on the axe. This is also what history has shown when you look at the Kentucky pattern axes, even the Tomahawk was replaced here by the belt axe that was much better suited to our region. Sorry im rambling but axes are just so neat when you peel back the layers.

One of the few times I allow a bit of extra weight is the axe, I have just found that the bit of saved weight cost just as much in extra work. I pack a full sized Belknap Axe when I carry anything beyond a belt axe but Im not against light weight small axes either, they just dont suit my needs as well IMO.

fromkentucky

Post by fromkentucky » Fri Jul 19, 2013 9:46 am

Any idea where I might find a 2lb (give or take) axe head here in town?

justang1997
KAC Member
KAC Member

Post by justang1997 » Fri Jul 19, 2013 11:06 am

I love axes. Its a weird feeling you get holding one. One of mans first tools and still in use today. I'm no ex logger (wish I was) but my limited experience and reading has shown most lower end axe makers today make axes that will stand up to abuse from inexperienced owners at the cost of cutting efficiency. From looking all around town myself I've seen not too many varying axe head profiles. Lots of makers focus on splitting axes since most people today do felling with chain saws.

I did find a booth at the shepherdsville flea market that an older guy has set up with old axes. Mid 1900's. His prices were 30 to 60 bucks. I'd re hang one of those.

fromkentucky

Post by fromkentucky » Fri Jul 19, 2013 3:04 pm

justang1997 wrote:I love axes. Its a weird feeling you get holding one.
I know what you mean. Knives feel sinister to me, while axes feel deliberate.

Not that it changes anything. God knows I have plenty of knives, lol.

fromkentucky

Post by fromkentucky » Fri Jul 19, 2013 4:44 pm

I'll be damned, Council makes a 2.25lb Boy's Axe:

http://www.baileysonline.com/itemdetail ... medium=cse

Netto
KAC Member
KAC Member
Has liked: 10 times
Been liked: 12 times

Post by Netto » Sun Jul 21, 2013 3:05 am

fromkentucky wrote:http://www.counciltool.com/product.asp? ... em=175HB28

They're around $60 with a sheath. I know Council's Velvicut line is top notch, comparable to Wetterlings and the like, but I don't know anything about the standard line.

I want something a little bigger than my hatchet, like a "Boy's Axe" or "Forest Axe" (1.5-2lb head, 24-28" handle).
Maybe look into the Husqvarna Forest Axe... It's sounds like it's about the size you are looking for.

It's about 25" with a 2lb head i think.

I think they are only around $60 or $70. Just an awesome deal for a drop forged axe head made from Swedish steel. I heard a rumor that Wetterlings made those for Husqvarna. I don't know if that's true or not.

Even if they aren't made by Wetterlings, they are still an awesome deal. That 25" husky is on my list as well, i been meaning to pick one up and put it through it's paces. I just haven't had a chance yet. At $60 price tag, you can't really go wrong.

And if you're interested in Wetterlings at all, hit up BIGC... He sells them.

Council Tool gets mixed reviews, but i've been happy with the ones that i have. No axe is perfect, not even Gransfors.

Anyway, good luck with everything. Let us know what you decide on.

fromkentucky

Post by fromkentucky » Tue Jul 23, 2013 9:10 am

I decided to be ridiculous and piece together an inexpensive Boy's Axe to see if I like the overall size and weight. If I do, I'll spend the coin on a Council Tool Velvicut Boys Axe down the road. I bought a 28" handle and a $10 Tekton 2lb "Camp Axe" with an 18" handle from Amazon.

The camp axe is horrible quality, lol, but I wasn't expecting much. It's completely dull and the handle is crooked. I can't tell if it was drop-forged, or just dropped a lot. Fortunately, I have a good file and a lot of patience to rework it a bit. I'll let you know how it goes.

justang1997
KAC Member
KAC Member

Post by justang1997 » Fri Jul 26, 2013 3:20 pm

Lol at deciding to be ridiculous. I do that a lot. Idk how I'm still married.

Return to “Edged Weapons”