6 1/2 day candle?

Like to live in the wilds, or just camp? This is the board for you. All things survival and bushcraft related here.
Paula
Has liked: 0
Been liked: 0

6 1/2 day candle?

Post by Paula » Wed Mar 13, 2013 8:40 pm

I'm seriously thinking about this for home and BOB. I wish they made them smaller, like a 3 day candle for the GHB. Of course, I don't need 12, which seems to be the only way to order them.

Anybody use these, any opinions? They are over a pound a piece apparently, that is the only downside I think.

http://store.survivalcenter.com/product ... ndles.html
Ky CCDW Instructor
NRA Refuse To Be a Victim Instructor
NRA Pistol Instructor
NRA Shotgun Instructor
Owner Edgewise Knives....

Smithengineered
Has liked: 6 times
Been liked: 4 times

Re: 6 1/2 day candle?

Post by Smithengineered » Wed Mar 13, 2013 11:42 pm

Looks like just a standard tall votive candle. Any church supply store should sell these individually. Years ago when I worked at Tonini Church Supply Store on Breckinridge they sold these with the plastic holder, but that has been 15 years ago lol.

Eireguy
Has liked: 17 times
Been liked: 1 time

Post by Eireguy » Thu Mar 14, 2013 12:04 am

Go to a dollar tree or dollar general store & get the religous candles that look exactly like these except they have icons on them.i got 1 & it burned for 4 days straight!

KYgundude
KAC Member
KAC Member
Has liked: 94 times
Been liked: 76 times

Post by KYgundude » Thu Mar 14, 2013 12:21 am

These rock. 100 hours for 5 bucks is also a better deal

http://beprepared.com/clear-mist-100-ho ... andle.html

ChopperDoc
KAC Member
KAC Member

Post by ChopperDoc » Thu Mar 14, 2013 12:29 am

KYgundude wrote:These rock. 100 hours for 5 bucks is also a better deal

http://beprepared.com/clear-mist-100-ho ... andle.html

Yep and free shipping if you have Amazon Prime on those I think.

Not candles though, so if you prefer the wax n wick go with the cheap religious candles mentioned above.
"You rarely rise to the occasion, you usually just sink to your lowest level of training."

BIGC
Has liked: 14 times
Been liked: 3 times

Post by BIGC » Thu Mar 14, 2013 8:01 am

I'm not sure I am seeing either one of your math working on this one. The candles the op posted work out to about 4.20 each and last 144+ hours, but you are saying a candle that lasts 100 hours and cost 4.95 is the cheaper deal????

That said the candles the op posted is not a bad deal if you consider the cost of UCO or coleman candles. and if you had a group buy they get cheaper with the more cases purchased..
1 Corinthians 13:13

And now these three remain: faith, hope and love. But the greatest of these is love.

http://stores.ebay.com/Big-Cs-Survival-Store?_rdc=1

ChopperDoc
KAC Member
KAC Member

Post by ChopperDoc » Thu Mar 14, 2013 9:32 am

Sorry, did not see the price posted on the other candles I just looked up the mist candle on amazon since I had seen it before. I have seen the big church candles for under $2 each in stores like Big Lots. The wife picks them up at yard sales for .25 and .50 all the time as well.

Anything that has 'survival' in the name these days is more money. I usually try an alternative first.
"You rarely rise to the occasion, you usually just sink to your lowest level of training."

Paula
Been liked: 0

Post by Paula » Thu Mar 14, 2013 9:34 am

BIGC wrote:I'm not sure I am seeing either one of your math working on this one. The candles the op posted work out to about 4.20 each and last 144+ hours, but you are saying a candle that lasts 100 hours and cost 4.95 is the cheaper deal????

That said the candles the op posted is not a bad deal if you consider the cost of UCO or coleman candles. and if you had a group buy they get cheaper with the more cases purchased..

Yes. I am trying to get the most bang/space/weight for the buck.
Ky CCDW Instructor
NRA Refuse To Be a Victim Instructor
NRA Pistol Instructor
NRA Shotgun Instructor
Owner Edgewise Knives....

ChopperDoc
KAC Member
KAC Member

Post by ChopperDoc » Thu Mar 14, 2013 9:44 am

Paula wrote:
BIGC wrote:I'm not sure I am seeing either one of your math working on this one. The candles the op posted work out to about 4.20 each and last 144+ hours, but you are saying a candle that lasts 100 hours and cost 4.95 is the cheaper deal????

Yes. I am trying to get the most bang/space/weight for the buck.

If you are planning on carrying candles in your BOB/GHB, go with minimal. They can start adding lots of weight. Nice to have wax in a BOB for sure, but I think as far as fire goes there are lighter alternatives to a candle. We keep lots of candles around for home emergencies and such though and some for camping when we can just throw stuff in the truck.

I have been reading a bunch of backpacker websites lately to look at ideas for trimming ounces (since I carried my GHB for awhile recently). Here is one, but there are plenty.

http://www.backpacking.net/tips.html

KYgundude
KAC Member
KAC Member
Has liked: 94 times
Been liked: 76 times

Post by KYgundude » Thu Mar 14, 2013 9:48 am

I thought the price was each nit a case

<Insert witty Tapatalk signature here>

Return to “Survival/Bushcraft”