The Chicken Thread

Like to live in the wilds, or just camp? This is the board for you. All things survival and bushcraft related here.
ChickenLady
KAC Member
KAC Member
Has liked: 0
Been liked: 0

Re: The Chicken Thread

Post by ChickenLady » Sat Aug 17, 2013 2:31 pm

Paulas chickens are done!

Livewire wrote:CL, the most sought after chicken farming insurance agent in kentucky
Livewire wrote:You're cooking has bought you a team of body guards wiling to follow you around at school

ChickenLady
KAC Member
KAC Member

Post by ChickenLady » Sat Aug 17, 2013 3:20 pm

Getting ready to weight, bag, and shrink wrap now. Then I am DONE for the day.
Livewire wrote:CL, the most sought after chicken farming insurance agent in kentucky
Livewire wrote:You're cooking has bought you a team of body guards wiling to follow you around at school

ChickenLady
KAC Member
KAC Member

Post by ChickenLady » Sat Aug 17, 2013 4:38 pm

Had a good time today with the chickens. Went to a friends house in Pekin, IN that also does meat chickens to slaughter since they had a plucker. He ended up helping. He basically killed, scalded, and plucked. I did the processing after that. Nice healthy birds. All organs looked amazing, all the meat looks good, and we only managed to break 2 wings. (this had nothing to do with mistreatment.. the birds flop pretty bad in the kill cone and then the plucker tends to finish the dislocation) So, if the person decides to just chop those birds up or whatever, no big deal.

We worked really well together too, so I'm looking forward to doing my next batch with him and his wife. Maybe get Joe in on the mess too since the next batch we have is going to be 100 birds.

WHich by the way if any of you want in on the next batch of birds I will need to know now. These will be a mix of his birds or his birds, but he raises them to the same standard and treatment that I do.

Mike
KAC Member
KAC Member
Been liked: 5 times

Post by Mike » Sat Aug 17, 2013 4:41 pm

I want some chicken!
:llama:

Paula

Post by Paula » Sat Aug 17, 2013 5:24 pm

Yum! Will be having beer butt chicken tomorrow for dinner! Thanks Rach!
Ky CCDW Instructor
NRA Refuse To Be a Victim Instructor
NRA Pistol Instructor
NRA Shotgun Instructor
Owner Edgewise Knives....

ChickenLady
KAC Member
KAC Member

Post by ChickenLady » Sun Aug 18, 2013 10:32 am

Mike wrote:I want some chicken!
Then you sir need to get in on this next order

JustShootIt
Founding Father
Founding Father
Has liked: 3 times

Post by JustShootIt » Sun Aug 18, 2013 4:33 pm

"All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing."(Edmund Burke)

JustShootIt
Founding Father
Founding Father

Post by JustShootIt » Sun Aug 18, 2013 4:36 pm

"All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing."(Edmund Burke)

ChickenLady
KAC Member
KAC Member

Post by ChickenLady » Sun Aug 18, 2013 5:02 pm

looking good!!!

your Meaties are also ready for pickup :-)

ChickenLady
KAC Member
KAC Member

Post by ChickenLady » Sun Aug 18, 2013 6:48 pm

Perfect. Ate one of my meat chickens tonight. I'm pleased. Tasted more like chicken than store bought and since they were allowed to be chickens the meat was somewhat similar to my egg layers but not anywhere near that tough. Im very pleased with my efforts. Delicious little hen!!!

Niceguy
KAC Member
KAC Member
Has liked: 328 times
Been liked: 91 times

Post by Niceguy » Sun Aug 18, 2013 6:55 pm

Mmmm, chicken...Taste like,,,chicken... haha

ChickenLady
KAC Member
KAC Member

Post by ChickenLady » Sun Aug 18, 2013 7:39 pm

The rest of the hen (I used one breast and one thigh for enchiladas tonight) is going to be chicken salad for this week! NOM NOM NOM

ChickenLady
KAC Member
KAC Member

Post by ChickenLady » Wed Aug 21, 2013 8:35 am

Ducks are in! I have 7 runner ducks for sale! $10 a piece. Great layers, friendly, and all females (well, that's what the hatchery says). They do not require much, do not fly, and are cute happy little things. Make great pets!

irishrob
KAC Member
KAC Member
Has liked: 71 times
Been liked: 58 times

Post by irishrob » Sat Aug 24, 2013 8:59 am

One of my hens died today. Got home this morning & she was running around doing chicken stuff. Went out an hour later & she was dead. She was the roosters favorite so I dont know if they could of broke her back/neck or what.

ChickenLady
KAC Member
KAC Member

Post by ChickenLady » Tue Aug 27, 2013 8:20 am

That's weird. Any marks? Wounds? Bruising on the body? The only thing I can think of is maybe the heat?

irishrob
KAC Member
KAC Member
Has liked: 71 times
Been liked: 58 times

Post by irishrob » Tue Aug 27, 2013 5:24 pm

No signs of trauma. She was running around eating at 7:30 AM. Went back out at 8:30 & was laying there being used by the roosters. Taking turns with her. Only around 80 temp. Died about 5 minutes later. Roosters get pretty aggressive chasing the hens in the morning & she was the favorite so my guess is heart attack, Need to cull 1 on the roosters, Getting to be a power struggle as to who's the top cock.

ChickenLady
KAC Member
KAC Member

Post by ChickenLady » Tue Aug 27, 2013 10:00 pm

I would bet heart attack. Cull a roo soon. Let me know if you need help

ChickenLady
KAC Member
KAC Member

Post by ChickenLady » Thu Sep 19, 2013 1:08 pm

I have a line on full grown chickens for sale. I know a few of you have been looking and a friend is getting rid of theirs before they move. PM me for details.

Marcus
Founding Father
Founding Father
Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 61 times

Post by Marcus » Thu Sep 19, 2013 1:14 pm

Chickenlady wrote:I have a line on full grown chickens for sale. I know a few of you have been looking and a friend is getting rid of theirs before they move. PM me for details.
Don't want to pm. Just want to eat chicken or eggs. How much?
Mandy wrote:I meant Marcus post, he's like ninja slicer, he's nice he's nice he's nice, ....SWISH... he cuts your effin head off ;)

ChickenLady
KAC Member
KAC Member

Post by ChickenLady » Thu Sep 19, 2013 1:26 pm

Texted you!

ChickenLady
KAC Member
KAC Member

Post by ChickenLady » Fri Oct 18, 2013 8:40 am

Paula's next batch has a kill date of Nov 9th. Then I'm done with meat chickens for 1.5 months until Jan when I start it all up again.

Meat chickens are fun hehehe

ChickenLady
KAC Member
KAC Member

Post by ChickenLady » Tue Dec 03, 2013 2:16 pm

Hear that?!

Peeps I hear peeps!!!

God I love chickens.

JustShootIt
Founding Father
Founding Father

Post by JustShootIt » Tue Dec 03, 2013 5:44 pm

A couple hens finally started laying....got first eggs today...

ChickenLady
KAC Member
KAC Member

Post by ChickenLady » Fri Dec 13, 2013 9:35 am

Starting to put my order together for my own personal flock this year.

I am going to order a few geese. Does anyone have any need for a mean goose? I will sell them in pairs. I have to order 6 at a time so I'll have 4 for sale

ChickenLady
KAC Member
KAC Member

Post by ChickenLady » Mon Dec 16, 2013 11:00 am

ah my chickens have been ordered. Like my own personal flock. Easter eggers, jersey giants, and leghorns. Rainbow eggs!

Also ordered 20 meat chickens. Just too easy to not do.

And still need to order some ducks. But I need to wait till May or so.

Return to “Survival/Bushcraft”