The Chicken Thread

Like to live in the wilds, or just camp? This is the board for you. All things survival and bushcraft related here.
ChickenLady
KAC Member
KAC Member
Has liked: 0
Been liked: 0

Re: The Chicken Thread

Post by ChickenLady » Thu May 23, 2013 10:03 am

6 ducks, two of which are already sold.

The chicks are male production reds and are for sale for .50 a piece.
Livewire wrote:CL, the most sought after chicken farming insurance agent in kentucky
Livewire wrote:You're cooking has bought you a team of body guards wiling to follow you around at school

ChickenLady
KAC Member
KAC Member

Post by ChickenLady » Sun Jun 02, 2013 7:12 pm

the electric fence is up!! I haven't lost a single birds since the setup.
Attachments
20130602_185308.jpg
Livewire wrote:CL, the most sought after chicken farming insurance agent in kentucky
Livewire wrote:You're cooking has bought you a team of body guards wiling to follow you around at school

Wyldman
KAC Member
KAC Member

Post by Wyldman » Sun Jun 02, 2013 7:19 pm

Except for the goose egg on your shin.....
IN GOD WE TRUST

"That boy's paradigm don't always add up to four nickels...."

ChickenLady
KAC Member
KAC Member

Post by ChickenLady » Mon Jun 03, 2013 4:36 pm

After denial... lots of denial. I spotted it yesterday. Montel is a HE. I knew there was a reason he wasn't quaking, but it wasn't until I saw the curled tail feathers that I had confirmation. It's also why I will never get eggs from him. :(

ChickenLady
KAC Member
KAC Member

Post by ChickenLady » Wed Jun 12, 2013 3:35 pm

GRRR my hatchery is shipping the chicks I need NEXT week. I needed them THIS week. They said they had some supply problems. I have all of my future chicken orders timed very very carefully. This is screwing up my grow/sell dates

ChickenLady
KAC Member
KAC Member

Post by ChickenLady » Wed Jun 19, 2013 11:28 am

I have 15 baby chicks for sale! 5 for 18!

Paula

Post by Paula » Wed Jun 19, 2013 3:12 pm

Chickenlady wrote:I have 15 baby chicks for sale! 5 for 18!
Those arn't my chickens are they? Cause I'm hungry.
Ky CCDW Instructor
NRA Refuse To Be a Victim Instructor
NRA Pistol Instructor
NRA Shotgun Instructor
Owner Edgewise Knives....

ChickenLady
KAC Member
KAC Member

Post by ChickenLady » Wed Jun 19, 2013 4:01 pm

Paula wrote:
Chickenlady wrote:I have 15 baby chicks for sale! 5 for 18!
Those arn't my chickens are they? Cause I'm hungry.
Settle down hungry woman! Your chicks are scheduled to arrive tomm morning!!

ChickenLady
KAC Member
KAC Member

Post by ChickenLady » Thu Jun 20, 2013 1:22 pm

Paula your meaties came in! They are surprisingly already bigger and beafier than the ones I got yesterday! Set your calendar to 6-8weeks from today!

ChickenLady
KAC Member
KAC Member

Post by ChickenLady » Fri Jun 21, 2013 9:15 am

Paula

Post by Paula » Fri Jun 21, 2013 11:28 am

Chickenlady wrote:Image

They look delicious :grin:
Ky CCDW Instructor
NRA Refuse To Be a Victim Instructor
NRA Pistol Instructor
NRA Shotgun Instructor
Owner Edgewise Knives....

ChickenLady
KAC Member
KAC Member

Post by ChickenLady » Fri Jun 21, 2013 12:52 pm

Settle down Paula. Those are just egg chickens. Your meaties I'll have to get a picture of when I get home from the lake. They are FAT little things

ChickenLady
KAC Member
KAC Member

Post by ChickenLady » Tue Jun 25, 2013 9:40 am

Paula, your future nuggets are the ones with red dots on their heads. I colored them so I would know the difference. ha!

They are HUNGRY little birds!
Attachments
994145_507354652669429_1948164671_n.jpg

ChickenLady
KAC Member
KAC Member

Post by ChickenLady » Tue Jul 02, 2013 10:06 am

Paula, I'll put up an updated chicken picture of your chicks tonight... basically.. they are FAT little things. I have never had a set of chicks eat THIS much food. Ever.

scorpionmain
KAC Member
KAC Member

Post by scorpionmain » Wed Jul 03, 2013 5:22 am

"Among the natural rights of the colonists are these: First a right to life, secondly to liberty, and thirdly to property; together with the right to defend them in the best manner they can."
–Samuel Adams

ChickenLady
KAC Member
KAC Member

Post by ChickenLady » Wed Jul 03, 2013 8:09 pm

Paula
Attachments
20130703_193834.jpg

ChickenLady
KAC Member
KAC Member

Post by ChickenLady » Wed Jul 03, 2013 8:17 pm

machines
Attachments
20130702_201519.jpg

ChickenLady
KAC Member
KAC Member

Post by ChickenLady » Fri Jul 05, 2013 10:32 pm

These damn babies make a ton of shit. Ive been changig the bedding every two days. Need to sell 18 of these things

JustShootIt
Founding Father
Founding Father
Has liked: 3 times

Post by JustShootIt » Sat Jul 06, 2013 12:59 am

How many u wanna sell?

I'm about to buy a few...
"All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing."(Edmund Burke)

ChickenLady
KAC Member
KAC Member

Post by ChickenLady » Sat Jul 06, 2013 8:58 am

Ive got 18 total egg layers to get rid of. You can have them all flr 45 if you want them. Its been warm enough they dont need a heat lamp, just food and water.

ChickenLady
KAC Member
KAC Member

Post by ChickenLady » Thu Jul 11, 2013 8:24 pm

going to get 150lbs more feed this weekend and then its up the feed of the meat chickens to a continuous 12 hours a day. this is kinda fun. Lol in about two weeks I'll be putting them outside to finish growing out. I think I rather like the meat chickens......

broncogal
KAC Member
KAC Member

Post by broncogal » Thu Jul 11, 2013 9:24 pm

I want chickens!! Maybe I'll get Brian to build me a coop- I can add it to his list. We had them all the time growing up, I remember helping papaw in his garden and checking the chickens on the way in the house.

son of liberty
KAC Member
KAC Member

Post by son of liberty » Thu Jul 11, 2013 10:42 pm

I have about 8 buffs, 7 RIR, 7 bar rock, 4 black australorp, and a few various others. My plan is to breed pure Buff,RIR,Rocks, and slaughter about 10 , 4 times a year on top of the eggs and selling a few birds.

ChickenLady
KAC Member
KAC Member

Post by ChickenLady » Fri Jul 12, 2013 9:55 am

son of liberty wrote:I have about 8 buffs, 7 RIR, 7 bar rock, 4 black australorp, and a few various others. My plan is to breed pure Buff,RIR,Rocks, and slaughter about 10 , 4 times a year on top of the eggs and selling a few birds.
It's a GREAT past time!

I think I have it almost ready to move into a bigger venture. I have a solid customer base at the moment and every time I say no more somebody comes out of the woodwork to make it more.

At the moment I've been doing spreadsheets on feed costs. I have meat chickens down to the pound of food vs conversion at the moment. I will say if you decided to stick with the heritage breeds for meat know that the meat isn't going to be quite like a cornish x chicken. I've slaughtered quite a few of the heritage breeds and while hatcheries can claim that they are "dual" purpose they are not when bred straight from a hatchery. If you want a good base for meat with the heritage breeds I suggest that you find a breeder of just the breeds and get a good stock in place and avoid hatcheries. (you may have already done this) There is also the conversion of time vs meat to keep into consideration. But, again, you may have all of this though through. :)

I'm rambling.

ChickenLady
KAC Member
KAC Member

Post by ChickenLady » Mon Jul 15, 2013 1:28 pm

Ran out of feed this morning. Woops. Never went to get any this weekend because I ran out of time. So, I'll be making a run tonight after work to go get some. Need to get a box fan too in the shed.. with these temps I'm afraid I'll loose some so I need to get some sort of breeze going in there.

Getting rid of 22 chickens this week. That will leave me with 15 meat chickens and then 9 new egg layers. Much better. Less work.

Return to “Survival/Bushcraft”