The Chicken Thread

Like to live in the wilds, or just camp? This is the board for you. All things survival and bushcraft related here.
ChickenLady
KAC Member
KAC Member
Has liked: 0
Been liked: 0

Re: The Chicken Thread

Post by ChickenLady » Tue Jul 16, 2013 6:08 pm

Alrighty then. Here is an updated picture of the meaties. They are so big they dwarf out all the other chickens in the picture pretty much...

Livewire wrote:CL, the most sought after chicken farming insurance agent in kentucky
Livewire wrote:You're cooking has bought you a team of body guards wiling to follow you around at school

irishrob
KAC Member
KAC Member
Has liked: 74 times
Been liked: 62 times

Post by irishrob » Wed Jul 17, 2013 7:26 am

Got my 1st egg today from the chickens I got from Rachel. Small pink with a soft shell. Hope to have some real eggs soom. Also both roosters are now crowing. Just have to let my daughters decide who needs to go. Can only keep 1 Roo.

ChickenLady
KAC Member
KAC Member

Post by ChickenLady » Wed Jul 17, 2013 9:13 am

irishrob wrote:Got my 1st egg today from the chickens I got from Rachel. Small pink with a soft shell. Hope to have some real eggs soom. Also both roosters are now crowing. Just have to let my daughters decide who needs to go. Can only keep 1 Roo.
make sure they are on layer pellets and you might want to add in some oyster shell to the mix as well to help harden up the shells :) Good luck!
Livewire wrote:CL, the most sought after chicken farming insurance agent in kentucky
Livewire wrote:You're cooking has bought you a team of body guards wiling to follow you around at school

irishrob
KAC Member
KAC Member

Post by irishrob » Wed Jul 17, 2013 12:45 pm

Chickenlady wrote: make sure they are on layer pellets and you might want to add in some oyster shell to the mix as well to help harden up the shells :) Good luck!
Been using a 15% protein layer pellet & they have access to oyster shell also. Might get a feed with higher protein. I was just using what they sell at the place closest to me.

ChickenLady
KAC Member
KAC Member

Post by ChickenLady » Thu Jul 18, 2013 8:21 am

irishrob wrote:
Chickenlady wrote: make sure they are on layer pellets and you might want to add in some oyster shell to the mix as well to help harden up the shells :) Good luck!
Been using a 15% protein layer pellet & they have access to oyster shell also. Might get a feed with higher protein. I was just using what they sell at the place closest to me.
The protein you're feeding is fine. The higher protein contents are more geared towards meat chickens rather than layers. As long as its a layer pellet and access to oyster shell you should be fine. You might get a few funky eggs until all the internals in the chickens get jump started and flowing.

I always hate the surprise rooster!!!

ChickenLady
KAC Member
KAC Member

Post by ChickenLady » Fri Jul 19, 2013 8:28 am

Tuesday night is a kill night for some roosters I have. If any of you want to come over to watch the process or if you want to bring your roosters to kill with instructions come on over. I'll be doing this again in August but with meat chickens instead of heritage.

Also.. I can show you how to make a mean coq au vin out of said rooster...

irishrob
KAC Member
KAC Member

Post by irishrob » Fri Jul 19, 2013 9:07 pm

I have an extra rooster I need to bring to you if you want it. The oops bird I got from you. Starting to get real eggs now. 2 today.LOL
Attachments
eggs 002.JPG

Tyler
KAC Member
KAC Member
Has liked: 2 times
Been liked: 3 times

Post by Tyler » Sun Jul 21, 2013 10:53 pm

Bad week for the flock. We found out one she was a he and another hurt herself, breaking her wing. Not sure what her fate will be.
Height Supremacist

son of liberty
KAC Member
KAC Member

Post by son of liberty » Sun Jul 21, 2013 11:08 pm

Tyler wrote:Bad week for the flock. We found out one she was a he and another hurt herself, breaking her wing. Not sure what her fate will be.
Leave her be, she may be gimp for a bit but she should heal up. I had one that had a broken wing and a laceration across its back that you could loose bic lighter in and she healed up pretty well. We got 25 babies in the house now that are about a week from getting booted outside.

Tyler
KAC Member
KAC Member

Post by Tyler » Sun Jul 21, 2013 11:44 pm

son of liberty wrote:
Tyler wrote:Bad week for the flock. We found out one she was a he and another hurt herself, breaking her wing. Not sure what her fate will be.
Leave her be, she may be gimp for a bit but she should heal up. I had one that had a broken wing and a laceration across its back that you could loose bic lighter in and she healed up pretty well. We got 25 babies in the house now that are about a week from getting booted outside.
Hopefully she'll heal up, but the wing is bloody, hanging limp and I can smell the meat. She may not make it through the night since she won't go in the coop on her own, the other two are hanging by her and they're holed up in an evergreen and I can't catch them in there. The local skunk or coon may have a nice meal tonight.

ETA: I went back out and finally caught her and put her in the coop.
Height Supremacist

ChickenLady
KAC Member
KAC Member

Post by ChickenLady » Mon Jul 22, 2013 7:45 am

Tyler wrote:
son of liberty wrote:
Hopefully she'll heal up, but the wing is bloody, hanging limp and I can smell the meat. She may not make it through the night since she won't go in the coop on her own, the other two are hanging by her and they're holed up in an evergreen and I can't catch them in there. The local skunk or coon may have a nice meal tonight.

ETA: I went back out and finally caught her and put her in the coop.
She might still be ok. Leave the wing alone but I would put some wonder dust or some livestock antibiotic on it. I would also give her a shot of antibiotics to help keep infection off. Outside of that its a crapshoot. If its a mess, the wing that is, you might try just removing it but I would not recommend that, usually they heal up on their own pretty well. I've had some real messes before.

JustShootIt
Founding Father
Founding Father
Has liked: 3 times

Post by JustShootIt » Mon Jul 22, 2013 10:40 am

"All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing."(Edmund Burke)

ChickenLady
KAC Member
KAC Member

Post by ChickenLady » Mon Jul 22, 2013 10:46 am

awwwwww CCL spreads chicken happiness EVERYWHERE

Tyler
KAC Member
KAC Member

Post by Tyler » Mon Jul 22, 2013 1:02 pm

What brand is the wonder dust and who sells it?
Height Supremacist

ChickenLady
KAC Member
KAC Member

Post by ChickenLady » Mon Jul 22, 2013 1:16 pm

Tyler wrote:What brand is the wonder dust and who sells it?
Wonder Dust is the name of the product. There are a few knock off versions that would be just as well. You can find it at TS but its overpriced. I usually buy it online as its cheaper.

When you come by to drop that rooster off I can give you a baggy of it if you want me too, that'll get you by until you can get some ordered. I would also order some antibiotics ointment.

I keep a bottle of this:

http://www.jefferspet.com/tri-care/cami ... /cn/25615/

and this:

http://www.jefferspet.com/product.asp?p ... 0CB3CABB11

TS sells penicillin the cheapest and they sell syringes. I would buy both.. a small bottle of penicillin is about 7-10 bucks and will last a long time in the fridge.

The three of these are my "chicken first aid kit" Chicken's for the most part are pretty resilient little things. Remember, i fyou do treat with the penicillin, you can't eat the eggs until two weeks after the last dosing.

Tyler
KAC Member
KAC Member

Post by Tyler » Tue Jul 23, 2013 11:55 pm

Well, the rooster is at my wife's aunt's place in Indiana and will have a good life there. The injured hen is dead. I found her in the coop when I got home today. I think an infection killed her as I didn't see any new wounds on her or blood on the other hens. Pretty shitty end to a shitty day.

So now we're down to two, but I did get my first full-sized egg today and made dinner with the other tiny ones I've gotten. I may be in the market for a young laying hen if you've got one to part with.
Height Supremacist

ChickenLady
KAC Member
KAC Member

Post by ChickenLady » Wed Jul 24, 2013 8:19 am

Tyler wrote:Well, the rooster is at my wife's aunt's place in Indiana and will have a good life there. The injured hen is dead. I found her in the coop when I got home today. I think an infection killed her as I didn't see any new wounds on her or blood on the other hens. Pretty shitty end to a shitty day.

So now we're down to two, but I did get my first full-sized egg today and made dinner with the other tiny ones I've gotten. I may be in the market for a young laying hen if you've got one to part with.
How did you get down to just two?

I have no younger laying hens to part with but in a few weeks I can sell you a few week olds if that works? I've got about 3 extra babies right now I wouldn't mind parting with, but they need another 2-3 weeks on em before they are ready to "fly the coop".

Sorry couldn't help myself lol

ChickenLady
KAC Member
KAC Member

Post by ChickenLady » Wed Jul 24, 2013 8:57 am

Have to go get another bag of feed today. I have been feeding them twice a day since it is recommended that you do 12 hours on and then 12 hours off of feed. So they get fed before I go to work and when I come home. They have a dog dish that I've been using and they have been eating about 7lbs of food a day. This weekend I'm going to separate the run from the coop and move it into the shade a little and then move the meaties into that. That way the big chicks can still get into the coop and the meaties can be safely contained in the run at night.

Then I have another order of 35 that I need to get placed. On top of the 5 turkeys I ordered yesterday and I've got 9 little baby egg layers in the shed as well.

Lost my damn mind.

Tyler
KAC Member
KAC Member

Post by Tyler » Wed Jul 24, 2013 11:08 am

I started with just the 4 I got from you and one was a rooster, other is dead.
Height Supremacist

ChickenLady
KAC Member
KAC Member

Post by ChickenLady » Wed Jul 24, 2013 11:22 am

Tyler wrote:I started with just the 4 I got from you and one was a rooster, other is dead.
I thought you bought 5 from me 8-)

Just let me know what you want to do and we can figure it out from there.

ChickenLady
KAC Member
KAC Member

Post by ChickenLady » Thu Jul 25, 2013 8:47 am

Week 5

ChickenLady
KAC Member
KAC Member

Post by ChickenLady » Thu Jul 25, 2013 8:00 pm

Right on track. Males are average 2.5lbs and females are just a hair over two. The next 3 weeks I fully expect them to eat 100lbs of feed. Right now they have finished off about 100lbs . They will also grow another 4 to 7 lbs the nexg three weeks as well...

ChickenLady
KAC Member
KAC Member

Post by ChickenLady » Sat Jul 27, 2013 8:25 pm

meat chickens are now outside. roosters go into confinement tomm for slaughter. Fuck roosters
Attachments
20130727_201734.jpg

ChickenLady
KAC Member
KAC Member

Post by ChickenLady » Sat Jul 27, 2013 9:43 pm

rooster one in confinement. big boy. he'll be tasty

JustShootIt
Founding Father
Founding Father
Has liked: 3 times

Post by JustShootIt » Sat Jul 27, 2013 10:25 pm

.[youtube]Ldtpgwp0xZc[/youtube]
"All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing."(Edmund Burke)

Return to “Survival/Bushcraft”