REVIEW: Vargo Stainless Steel Hexagon Wood Stove

Like to live in the wilds, or just camp? This is the board for you. All things survival and bushcraft related here.
BIGC
Has liked: 14 times
Been liked: 3 times

REVIEW: Vargo Stainless Steel Hexagon Wood Stove

Post by BIGC » Thu Jan 24, 2013 4:21 pm

For Christmas this year instead of getting me gimmicky tools and gadgets that do really do anything and just take up space my family decided to get me something I might actually use for once. So they got me a Vargo folding stainless steel hexagon wood stove.

I have never been good with starting or maintaining a small fire so I have mainly always relied on a sterno stove or trioxane bars but I figured I would give this one a shot. I had a log that has been laying in the backyard for a year or two so I figured I would see if it was dry and try to use some of it to fuel the stove. I took my rat 3 and chunked off a few pieces of wood and shaved down some small strips to get the fire started...

Playing with the stove I also got to test out 1 of my storm proof matches, with a little over 14 seconds burn on the match I was able to get some small tinder lit and then started adding some of the bigger pieces. I managed to keep a good burn going long enough to boil water or cook if needed.. If my no skills ass can operate this thing then I have to say it is a good piece to have in your kit, bob, ghb etc and it is small and lightweight at just a few ounces....

1 Corinthians 13:13

And now these three remain: faith, hope and love. But the greatest of these is love.

http://stores.ebay.com/Big-Cs-Survival-Store?_rdc=1

Jakob
KAC Member
KAC Member
Has liked: 0
Been liked: 0

Re: REVIEW: Vargo Stainless Steel Hexagon Wood Stove

Post by Jakob » Thu Jan 24, 2013 7:29 pm

I've been looking for something like this. Small enough to put into a BOB yet applicable enough to justify buying it.
Livewire wrote:I remember when this was a free country and not a fascist one filled with limp wristed, tender hearted, liver lipped bunch of whiny ass cry babies.

BIGC

Post by BIGC » Thu Jan 24, 2013 7:33 pm

Jakob wrote:I've been looking for something like this. Small enough to put into a BOB yet applicable enough to justify buying it.
I'm trying to find a wholesaler for them to see what I can get them for..

And now these three remain: faith, hope and love. But the greatest of these is love.

BIGC

Post by BIGC » Sat Jan 26, 2013 11:51 am

I have 3 of these on order.. 2 of the stainless steel versions I reviewed and 1 of the titanium versions....

Kadnine
KAC Member
KAC Member
Has liked: 0
Been liked: 0

Post by Kadnine » Sat Feb 02, 2013 12:44 am

Nice! Not seen these before...

- Keith
~~~

"'...what it is to be a bondservant thou knowest full well, but of freedom thou hast never yet made trial, to know whether it be a sweet thing or not. For if ever thou hadst experience thereof, thou wouldest counsel us to fight for it not with spears only but with axes.' Thus the Spartans answered Hydarnes." - Herodotus

~~~

Return to “Survival/Bushcraft”