The S can HTF anywhere, at any time

Like to live in the wilds, or just camp? This is the board for you. All things survival and bushcraft related here.
ChopperDoc
KAC Member
KAC Member
Has liked: 0
Been liked: 1 time

Post by ChopperDoc » Tue Jan 22, 2013 2:23 pm

So, when you start talking about this everyone thinks you are talking about massive economic collapse, the Caldera erupting or a nuclear attack, or (GASP!) zombies.

I say that it does not have to be on some massive level for you to be faced with a SHTF situation for you individually or you and your family. This is very evident from a story I read recently about a former Air Force guy out hiking in a park with his kids. They were ill prepared for the weather to get nasty that night, and they got lost. They died from exposure because they did not keep their body temperature regulated throughout the cold night.

http://www.foxnews.com/us/2013/01/14/ai ... uri-trail/

Now I can tell you that if I let my kid die in a situation like that I could not, would not, live with myself. I prefer to plan for the worst and hope for the best, so I 'over pack' for even day trips like the one the guy did above. Perhaps it is a product of years of military missions where we always used the contingency plan and even made shit up as we went to complete the mission based on the ground commanders plan. Perhaps it was spending nearly two days in the middle of the desert in a storm with no way to contact anyone and only having what we brought with us that kick started me on the 'be prepared mindset'...not really sure. But, just like having a gun on me daily, I would rather carry it everywhere and not need it than to be stuck somewhere, need it, and watch as my family dies from exposure.

I have a Get Home Bag. Actually, the GHB is cross loaded into 3 bags, so on the very unlikely possibility that we are walking away from our vehicle we can each carry some basic stuff in accordance to priority and what weight we can each handle. I'll go into the some parts of the bag and plan I have (and it is constantly being revised) for my 3 day emergency kit (GHB) in the content below and how it can relate to little mini, local SHTF situations as we spend an awful lot of time thinking about the "big bang" SHTF scenarios. The good thing about those, though, is that if you are planning on an event like that the little mini-SHTF stuff should be well prepared for. The bad part is that if you plan for the big stuff the GHB tends to look more like a Bug Out Bag (refugee bag) and the more likely we are to over look some of the simple stuff. You can also pack it well beyond your ability to effectively carry it.

First and foremost on your mind should be regulating your body temperature. Keeping cool in the summer and warm in the winter. One of my employees drives 45 minutes to work each day. She has nothing for emergencies in her car (well maybe she does not that I put the fear of God in them all the other day). With it being 12 degrees today, if there were an issue, a single car accident on a back road down into a ditch where no passing cars see you... how long will you last if you can't contact anyone?

To regulate body temperature in the cold I have the following clothing items:
  • Casualty blanket (not the cheap space blankets that Wally World sells)

Space Blanket tube shelters

The Wooby (poncho liner)

Poncho

XPS 2.0 under wear bottoms and top

Soft Shell jacket

Hand warmers (they have a few years of shelf life)

Frogg Toggs suit. They are light weight and keep you dry, a huge part of regulating body temp.

Two sets of clothes. One to wear and one to sleep in. 4 extra pairs of socks. Keep your feet dry.

gloves, two pair

mittens (shooters type that I can open up to use fingers)

Balaclava

Stocking cap (I have a hunter orange one... remember that you might not want to be stealthy)

scarf
Remember, you have to layer. If your activity is light you may need to have on everything at once and if active you may need to have on only a few items.

Some of the items above have double duty. The poncho and the casualty blanket are used to help make shelters. The poncho above along with some foliage and the blanket below with some foliage for insulation between the ground and you. For those times that it is too dark for a shelter like this, the space tube (single person or one adult and small child) can be set up quickly and easily to use your own body heat. A caution with this though, if you have never used one: It will hold in the moisture from your breath. You can wake up soaking wet and that will not be good for the next day's foray into freezing temperatures.

For shelter making I have the following:
  • heavy duty saw (folding or one of the good wire saws..don't go cheap on this and think you are covered)

BFK or a good, sharp hatchet (a utility one, SOG zombie stuff is cool to look at but for wood craft not so much. Go for the utilitarian aspect.) I prefer a big knife for the GHB. A good camp axe can't be beat for a lot of chores, but it is not feasible for the GHB to have one of these. I use the Gerber LMF II for this. Hammer, chopper, digging tool and cutting tool in an easy to carry package.

Paracord. A lot of it. it is woven into everything I can put it on. Don't go cheap on this either.

Get the 550lb stuff, not the look alikes.

Small bungee cords. very versatile and when using a poncho or something with eyelets makes for quick setup and take down.

100mph tape. I use the Gorilla brand.

A few of the big trash bags. These are multipurpose, but in shelter making they can be used to hold leaves and other stuff to cram in them to make a floor for your sleeping shelter. It puts insulation between you and the ground and if your only choice is wet leaves or pine straw then the plastic keeps it off of you.

So, you are out of the elements, mostly, and could use a fire. How are you going to start it?
  • vasoline impregnated cotton balls, cotton rolls or even drier lint work great. I can cram quite a few of the cotton balls into one of those old film canisters. That is my preferred method. They burn plenty long enough to get a fire going as long as you have the tinder ready and will light even when wet.

matches

Lighter

some kind of striker/spark method

one of those big pencil sharpeners, like for the kindergartner fat pencils. They will sharpen small sticks as well as pencils and make some really nice tender while preserving the edge on your knife for other things.

a Fresnel lens

in a pinch you can burn hand sanitizer. remember, it is an alcohol gel. It burns real well.
There are plenty of commercial fire tabs and fire starter that I have seen, and tried. They all work great, but if you are just using them to start a fire, why spend the big dollars on those? Big bags of cotton balls and petroleum jelly are cheap. Go to the Dollar Store and spend some time squishing the cotton balls with lube.

Now the fuel tabs for heating water in a canteen cup, yeah I can see those. Those are for use in times when you don't want (or can't have) a full on fire but need to heat some water for food or drink. I have a few of those in the bag, but don't really intend on them to be used as fire starter generally.

Hygiene

Don't skimp on that just because you are in a survival situation. Why complicate a situation with problems (infections or stomach bugs) that could have been avoided. Here are the things I have for that:
  • Hand sanitizer gel

Hand sanitizer wipes.

small tooth brush (for fingernails)

small bar of soap

Listerine (great antiseptic for cuts and abrasions)
(I won't delve much further into First Aid, as it could be a topic all it's own of this size or larger)

Food stuffs.

Remember, you can survive several days with no food, but if you try to spend 3 days without water you are pushing the survival envelope. You have to figure less time than that if you are active.

for food I have long shelf life stuff, dried stuff. Not tasty but it'll keep you alive. I have a survival block that looks like sawdust was mashed together with glue. I forget the brand name, but it AIN'T tasty. What it is though is 6000 calories packed into something that goes easily in the bag and as long as it remains sealed will probably never go bad.

I also have:
  • Trail mix (put in a Food Saver bag)

Cliff Bars

Tang
For water I have the following:
  • 24 of the emergency water packets (1/8th qt per packet). If you can't move or need to be doing nothing BUT moving as fast as you can, then these are there to keep you alive until help arrives or you can stop to clean up some water. These things have a 5 year shelf life.

Life Straw or Katadyn Pocket Water Microfilter (nice but pricy with the silver in it). I have a Frontier Pro that I am going to try out too.

something to boil water in (think about something big enough to fill a canteen at once if you can fit it in the pack reasonably)

canteens to carry water in

aquamira water purification tabs
This is not, by any means an all inclusive list. Remember, survival is more about mind set and determination than it is about gear. Also remember that the more primitive skills you know (tested, not just read about) the less you HAVE to carry. That does not mean that I might not carry it, but if I lose it I can make it without it.

I have a lot more stuff in my GHB, but that can be a discussion for another day.
"You rarely rise to the occasion, you usually just sink to your lowest level of training."

BIGC
Has liked: 14 times
Been liked: 3 times

Re: The S can HTF anywhere, at any time

Post by BIGC » Tue Jan 22, 2013 2:33 pm

The casualty blanket he listed is an American Made space blanket that is very thick and does well to use reflect your body heat back to you to help regulate your temperature.. It is WAY thicker than those $2 "solar" blankets that you get at most camping stores........
1 Corinthians 13:13

And now these three remain: faith, hope and love. But the greatest of these is love.

http://stores.ebay.com/Big-Cs-Survival-Store?_rdc=1

jackalo626
Global Mod
Global Mod
Has liked: 20 times
Been liked: 22 times

Post by jackalo626 » Tue Jan 22, 2013 2:35 pm

Good read

Dave1965
KAC Member
KAC Member
Been liked: 23 times

Post by Dave1965 » Tue Jan 22, 2013 2:42 pm

The simplest thing that father could have done was either A) have a lighter or matches or B) know how to start a fire without such.

I keep thinking that a fire probably tended through the night would have kept them all alive and aided rescuers.

Niceguy
KAC Member
KAC Member
Has liked: 328 times
Been liked: 91 times

Post by Niceguy » Tue Jan 22, 2013 2:58 pm

I'm not a smoker and have have lighters all around my house and all my vehicles. Very handy, useful and cheap insurance in this weather.

justang1997
KAC Member
KAC Member
Been liked: 0

Post by justang1997 » Tue Jan 22, 2013 3:50 pm

I'm crazy and purposely "camp" in weather like this all the time with minimal gear to test ideas and techniques. I especially like the tip on carrying the fat pencil sharpener. I have never seen that idea and I love it.
I never carry one space blanket... I carry 4. I make a 4 wall shelter with branches staked into the ground at the corners and duct tape the foil blankets to the sticks. No roof. Once the blankets are blocking all wind I build the fire inside the walls and all blankets reflect heat back on you. You can keep a smaller sustainable fire and survive super cold temps with just the clothes on your back.

awesomePOSSUM

Post by awesomePOSSUM » Tue Jan 22, 2013 4:21 pm

Tang. Is a great idea.

People be drinking water. You be like I'm drinking Tang and no you can't have any. Haha.

Good read though.
You seem to have me confused...

You don't need a black rifle to be cool, but it sure helps.

awesomePOSSUM

Post by awesomePOSSUM » Tue Jan 22, 2013 4:23 pm

An idea I came up with is a Racquetball ball container. You can get the two ball, which is short, or the three ball one. I put my liters and other stuff that I need. Doesnt let water in and it will float if you fell in a lake. Or something.
You seem to have me confused...

You don't need a black rifle to be cool, but it sure helps.

justang1997
KAC Member
KAC Member

Post by justang1997 » Tue Jan 22, 2013 4:27 pm

niceguyr6 wrote:I'm not a smoker and have have lighters all around my house and all my vehicles. Very handy, useful and cheap insurance in this weather.
Not a smoke either. Used to carry a bic every day but now its a zippo. Its more fashonable :llama:

Nolan
KAC Member
KAC Member

Post by Nolan » Tue Jan 22, 2013 5:53 pm

Great thread
"To disarm the people... was the best and most effectual way to enslave them."

-- George Mason, speech of June 14, 1788

Frailer
KAC Member
KAC Member

Post by Frailer » Tue Jan 22, 2013 7:11 pm

BIGC wrote:The casualty blanket he listed is an American Made space blanket that is very thick and does well to use reflect your body heat back to you to help regulate your temperature.. It is WAY thicker than those $2 "solar" blankets that you get at most camping stores........
They truly are lifesavers; I carry one whenever I'm in the outdoors. I've only needed it once, when I spent a rainy winter night under it. It wasn't the most comfortable night I've spent by any stretch of the imagination, but at 3AM when it was 40 degrees and pouring rain I wouldn't have traded that blanket for the world.

ChopperDoc
KAC Member
KAC Member

Post by ChopperDoc » Tue Jan 22, 2013 7:31 pm

BIGC wrote:The casualty blanket he listed is an American Made space blanket that is very thick and does well to use reflect your body heat back to you to help regulate your temperature.. It is WAY thicker than those $2 "solar" blankets that you get at most camping stores........

Yep, just picked up a brand new one! One of mine was getting a pretty worn.
"You rarely rise to the occasion, you usually just sink to your lowest level of training."

BIGC
Has liked: 14 times
Been liked: 3 times

Post by BIGC » Tue Jan 22, 2013 8:11 pm

Frailer wrote:
They truly are lifesavers; I carry one whenever I'm in the outdoors. I've only needed it once, when I spent a rainy winter night under it. It wasn't the most comfortable night I've spent by any stretch of the imagination, but at 3AM when it was 40 degrees and pouring rain I wouldn't have traded that blanket for the world.
I grew up using one of them. Dad liked to night fish when I was young and I just couldnt stay up all night, I would take his space blanket and make a small "pup" tent out of it and snooze the night away no matter how rainy or cold I was snug and warm, if I got anywhere close to his fire it would stay toasty all night....
1 Corinthians 13:13

And now these three remain: faith, hope and love. But the greatest of these is love.

http://stores.ebay.com/Big-Cs-Survival-Store?_rdc=1

Van Zan

Post by Van Zan » Sun Jan 27, 2013 5:03 am

ChopperDoc wrote:So, when you start talking about this everyone thinks you are talking about massive economic collapse, the Caldera erupting or a nuclear attack, or (GASP!) zombies.

I say that it does not have to be on some massive level for you to be faced with a SHTF situation for you individually or you and your family. This is very evident from a story I read recently about a former Air Force guy out hiking in a park with his kids. They were ill prepared for the weather to get nasty that night, and they got lost. They died from exposure because they did not keep their body temperature regulated throughout the cold night.

http://www.foxnews.com/us/2013/01/14/ai ... uri-trail/

Now I can tell you that if I let my kid die in a situation like that I could not, would not, live with myself. I prefer to plan for the worst and hope for the best, so I 'over pack' for even day trips like the one the guy did above. Perhaps it is a product of years of military missions where we always used the contingency plan and even made shit up as we went to complete the mission based on the ground commanders plan. Perhaps it was spending nearly two days in the middle of the desert in a storm with no way to contact anyone and only having what we brought with us that kick started me on the 'be prepared mindset'...not really sure. But, just like having a gun on me daily, I would rather carry it everywhere and not need it than to be stuck somewhere, need it, and watch as my family dies from exposure.

I have a Get Home Bag. Actually, the GHB is cross loaded into 3 bags, so on the very unlikely possibility that we are walking away from our vehicle we can each carry some basic stuff in accordance to priority and what weight we can each handle. I'll go into the some parts of the bag and plan I have (and it is constantly being revised) for my 3 day emergency kit (GHB) in the content below and how it can relate to little mini, local SHTF situations as we spend an awful lot of time thinking about the "big bang" SHTF scenarios. The good thing about those, though, is that if you are planning on an event like that the little mini-SHTF stuff should be well prepared for. The bad part is that if you plan for the big stuff the GHB tends to look more like a Bug Out Bag (refugee bag) and the more likely we are to over look some of the simple stuff. You can also pack it well beyond your ability to effectively carry it.

First and foremost on your mind should be regulating your body temperature. Keeping cool in the summer and warm in the winter. One of my employees drives 45 minutes to work each day. She has nothing for emergencies in her car (well maybe she does not that I put the fear of God in them all the other day). With it being 12 degrees today, if there were an issue, a single car accident on a back road down into a ditch where no passing cars see you... how long will you last if you can't contact anyone?

To regulate body temperature in the cold I have the following clothing items:
  • Casualty blanket (not the cheap space blankets that Wally World sells)

Space Blanket tube shelters

The Wooby (poncho liner)

Poncho

XPS 2.0 under wear bottoms and top

Soft Shell jacket

Hand warmers (they have a few years of shelf life)

Frogg Toggs suit. They are light weight and keep you dry, a huge part of regulating body temp.

Two sets of clothes. One to wear and one to sleep in. 4 extra pairs of socks. Keep your feet dry.

gloves, two pair

mittens (shooters type that I can open up to use fingers)

Balaclava

Stocking cap (I have a hunter orange one... remember that you might not want to be stealthy)

scarf
Remember, you have to layer. If your activity is light you may need to have on everything at once and if active you may need to have on only a few items.

Some of the items above have double duty. The poncho and the casualty blanket are used to help make shelters. The poncho above along with some foliage and the blanket below with some foliage for insulation between the ground and you. For those times that it is too dark for a shelter like this, the space tube (single person or one adult and small child) can be set up quickly and easily to use your own body heat. A caution with this though, if you have never used one: It will hold in the moisture from your breath. You can wake up soaking wet and that will not be good for the next day's foray into freezing temperatures.

For shelter making I have the following:
  • heavy duty saw (folding or one of the good wire saws..don't go cheap on this and think you are covered)

BFK or a good, sharp hatchet (a utility one, SOG zombie stuff is cool to look at but for wood craft not so much. Go for the utilitarian aspect.) I prefer a big knife for the GHB. A good camp axe can't be beat for a lot of chores, but it is not feasible for the GHB to have one of these. I use the Gerber LMF II for this. Hammer, chopper, digging tool and cutting tool in an easy to carry package.

Paracord. A lot of it. it is woven into everything I can put it on. Don't go cheap on this either.

Get the 550lb stuff, not the look alikes.

Small bungee cords. very versatile and when using a poncho or something with eyelets makes for quick setup and take down.

100mph tape. I use the Gorilla brand.

A few of the big trash bags. These are multipurpose, but in shelter making they can be used to hold leaves and other stuff to cram in them to make a floor for your sleeping shelter. It puts insulation between you and the ground and if your only choice is wet leaves or pine straw then the plastic keeps it off of you.

So, you are out of the elements, mostly, and could use a fire. How are you going to start it?
  • vasoline impregnated cotton balls, cotton rolls or even drier lint work great. I can cram quite a few of the cotton balls into one of those old film canisters. That is my preferred method. They burn plenty long enough to get a fire going as long as you have the tinder ready and will light even when wet.

matches

Lighter

some kind of striker/spark method

one of those big pencil sharpeners, like for the kindergartner fat pencils. They will sharpen small sticks as well as pencils and make some really nice tender while preserving the edge on your knife for other things.

a Fresnel lens

in a pinch you can burn hand sanitizer. remember, it is an alcohol gel. It burns real well.
There are plenty of commercial fire tabs and fire starter that I have seen, and tried. They all work great, but if you are just using them to start a fire, why spend the big dollars on those? Big bags of cotton balls and petroleum jelly are cheap. Go to the Dollar Store and spend some time squishing the cotton balls with lube.

Now the fuel tabs for heating water in a canteen cup, yeah I can see those. Those are for use in times when you don't want (or can't have) a full on fire but need to heat some water for food or drink. I have a few of those in the bag, but don't really intend on them to be used as fire starter generally.

Hygiene

Don't skimp on that just because you are in a survival situation. Why complicate a situation with problems (infections or stomach bugs) that could have been avoided. Here are the things I have for that:
  • Hand sanitizer gel

Hand sanitizer wipes.

small tooth brush (for fingernails)

small bar of soap

Listerine (great antiseptic for cuts and abrasions)
(I won't delve much further into First Aid, as it could be a topic all it's own of this size or larger)

Food stuffs.

Remember, you can survive several days with no food, but if you try to spend 3 days without water you are pushing the survival envelope. You have to figure less time than that if you are active.

for food I have long shelf life stuff, dried stuff. Not tasty but it'll keep you alive. I have a survival block that looks like sawdust was mashed together with glue. I forget the brand name, but it AIN'T tasty. What it is though is 6000 calories packed into something that goes easily in the bag and as long as it remains sealed will probably never go bad.

I also have:
  • Trail mix (put in a Food Saver bag)

Cliff Bars

Tang
For water I have the following:
  • 24 of the emergency water packets (1/8th qt per packet). If you can't move or need to be doing nothing BUT moving as fast as you can, then these are there to keep you alive until help arrives or you can stop to clean up some water. These things have a 5 year shelf life.

Life Straw or Katadyn Pocket Water Microfilter (nice but pricy with the silver in it). I have a Frontier Pro that I am going to try out too.

something to boil water in (think about something big enough to fill a canteen at once if you can fit it in the pack reasonably)

canteens to carry water in

aquamira water purification tabs
This is not, by any means an all inclusive list. Remember, survival is more about mind set and determination than it is about gear. Also remember that the more primitive skills you know (tested, not just read about) the less you HAVE to carry. That does not mean that I might not carry it, but if I lose it I can make it without it.

I have a lot more stuff in my GHB, but that can be a discussion for another day.

What do you carry for navigation?
People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf.

George Orwell

ChopperDoc
KAC Member
KAC Member

Post by ChopperDoc » Mon Jan 28, 2013 8:42 am

Van Zan wrote:

The list above is only a partial list of what is in the GHB. This post, so far, is only about the stuff I have in the bag to keep the body temperature regulated.

As for navigation, I have several button compasses attached in various areas of my gear and I have a military compass

http://www.sportsmansguide.com/net/cb/g ... x?a=287022

I have topo maps in the car for the State that I am traveling in so those get stuck in bag as we leave the vehicle.

Van Zan

Post by Van Zan » Tue Jan 29, 2013 5:52 pm

ChopperDoc wrote:
Van Zan wrote:

The list above is only a partial list of what is in the GHB. This post, so far, is only about the stuff I have in the bag to keep the body temperature regulated.

As for navigation, I have several button compasses attached in various areas of my gear and I have a military compass

http://www.sportsmansguide.com/net/cb/g ... x?a=287022

I have topo maps in the car for the State that I am traveling in so those get stuck in bag as we leave the vehicle.

Thanks. Guess I jumped the gun so to speak as you were primarily addressing shelter.
People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf.

George Orwell

justang1997
KAC Member
KAC Member

Post by justang1997 » Fri Feb 14, 2014 9:53 am

Bump.

Been reading about the Jan 28th storm in Atlanta that had kids stranded on buses for up to 16 hours. Kids staying overnigh in schools. Perfect example of how S can HTF anywhere, anytime.

I doubt anyone who was stranded in their cars overnight will even learn from their situation and start carrying a GHB but maybe a few will.

Imagine how little it would cost to have enough e-blankets and hand warmers and food for all the passengers on every school bus. That of course will never happen. Hell, they don't even have seat belts.

Some kids I see in my kids school and on her bus when she rides it sometimes have jackets that are more about fashion statements than about keeping warm.

Just some stuff to think about.

Sent from my Q10 using Tapatalk 2

Return to “Survival/Bushcraft”