Survival course review

Like to live in the wilds, or just camp? This is the board for you. All things survival and bushcraft related here.
Mudcat
KAC Member
KAC Member
Has liked: 0
Been liked: 0

Survival course review

Post by Mudcat » Mon Dec 03, 2012 10:11 am

I came across Hunt Survival and Ky. River Bushcraft through a search and then realized that I had met the owner Jason Hunt at an Appleseed event a few years ago. I started following his site and also Frontier Christian University another project of his through Facebook. Then came the weekend when everything came together and I could make one of Jason’s classes Winter and Basic Survival on Nov 30 to Dec 2nd In Bethlehem, KY. I started gathering the required “kit” for the class and come up with most of it without too much cash outlay from stuff I had laying around. I spoke with Jason on the phone and he said to not be too worried about the equipment he could help out with some loaner stuff if need be. I met Jason at his house on Friday afternoon about 4:30 and he took me back to the class site on his family owned 125 acre farm in the rolling hills of Henry County. I got my sleeping area set up with my hammock and gear between a couple trees and we talked and caught up a little before the class started. He wanted to know if I had any other survival training which I had some in the Army with Sapper and Jungle school but over 20 years ago. When the other student arrived we got started with the class. We had a couple no shows and 2 would arrive in the morning.
We started with safety instructions and familiarization with the course and area. We were given a whistle to blow 3 times in case of emergency. We were told of the abundant wildlife 100 plus wild pigs and the coyotes were howling already. Jason is an EMT and Firefighter and he had an emergency radio with him in case of any emergency. Plenty of water was provided in jugs and a large firewood pile was available for the community fire that we sat around and did our cooking on. A makeshift bathroom was also available and adequate.
Then we started to talk about “survival “ and what we would be learning in the class. The main objective of the course is to introduce and be able to provide the “Survival base 5”. With the possible changes that could happen in certain situations between 1 and 2.
1. Fire
2. Shelter
3. Water
4. Security
5. Food
We discussed pre planning and why as well as self aid. “The 5 C’s”, the 10 piece emergency kit that we should carry with us any time we are going out into the bush or in our vehicles. We were lectured on the what and why of each of the 10 pieces in the kit. We then turned in for the night about 9:30 or 10:00. We were told that class would start at 0800 in the morning so be through with our morning hygiene and breakfast by that time.
Class started at 0800 Saturday morning by Jason telling us to make fire any way we could. He did this to get a baseline on our fire building skills. All of us failed to get a sustainable fire going within 16 minutes. Then came the instruction again on fire building and the why and how to build a fire quickly. Why having the opossum mentality to gather fire building supplies when you see them and have them with you is so important. We built a few more fires with natural tinder and quick fire methods. We then took a test to build a sustainable fire, meaning to be burning a 1” diameter piece of wood or bigger within 5 minutes using natural tinder and a fire steel. We all passed that test rather easily after the instruction from Jason.
We then went into shelter building and different types of shelters using a tarp or survival blanket and cordage. We all practiced the shelter building and knot tying. This was not a problem for me as I have always liked tying knots and practice often. We then tested on building a shelter within 5 minutes which again, everyone passed.
We then talked about natural shelters and how to use the different features found in the woods to make a shelter. We did tree identification and how different trees could provide for us in a survival situation. Discussed and demonstrated game tracking, traps and triggers and how to catch wild game through the use of game trails and pieces of our 10 piece kit. We were then told to build a fire which some students did not have their 10 piece kit or their fire building supplies with them. This reinforced the need to carry your kit with you at all times.
Jason has been involved in martial arts for many years and is a Krav Maga instructor. He gave us some very basic moves and how to use them to fend off an attacker with a knife and even a gun. This is something that I want to pursue further; I found it very interesting and informative. We then started on land navigation and compass use. The ways of determining direction without a compass was discussed as well. We then set out on the 15 point navigation course as a team of 3 of us. I found the course fairly easy but someone without any or very much experience following an azimuth could find it very challenging. Upon returning from the course we were given a test to start fire, build shelter and boil water, all within 15 minutes. Again we all passed fairly easily. Remember earlier that day we had failed to build a sustainable fire within 16 minutes. We had come a long way.
After a supper of dear steaks and potatoes prepared over the community fire by Jason, which were excellent by the way. We began discussing ways to navigate in the dark and move in the dark. We talked about security again and made and fire hardened a spear/ walking stick. We then were sent out to do the navigation course in the dark, with an added twist. We were required to carry fire a piece of our campfire in a can and keep it going while we navigated the course as a team of 2. Oh with only one head lamp or flashlight. Yes this took some thought and a change of plans. My partner was a young lady who was a teacher at a university and originally from Czechoslovakia. Who spoke very good English. This young lady had no experience upon coming to the course, but had come a long way in just 2 days. We worked as a team to carry our fire through the course and only fell a couple of times. Upon returning from the course we were then required to build a fire, shelter and boil water within 15 minutes as a team. This we or actually I failed to boil the water within the allotted 15 minutes. I had not gathered enough fuel for the fire, I had enough tinder and kindling but not enough fuel. Our fire did not get hot enough to boil the water. So we were sent out again and gathered more material this time and the second time around we got the water to boil in less than 9 minutes. Lesson learned!
Sunday brought signal fires and how to signal for help through smoke generators and other means. Also we went into when to “stay put” and be rescued and when to get out and “self rescue”. The class concluded with a certificate and patch. We took some photos and packed up our gear.
I did learn a lot in this course and reinforced a lot of other skills that I had not used in several years. The cost of the course was $150 which is a bargain in the survival school world. Jason is very knowledgeable and well schooled with a long resume with some of the bigger schools out there too. I highly recommend this or any of KY. River Bushcraft classes to anyone no matter the skill level. Remember that one youth gets to go to the class with a paying adult for free. What could be better than getting some dirt time with your kids and teaching them some valuable skills that will stay with them for a lifetime? Who knows when they or you may need to use them? I will be returning to KY. River Bushcraft to take some of the advanced classes from Jason for sure.

HUNT SURVIVAL, INC.

ChopperDoc
KAC Member
KAC Member
Has liked: 0
Been liked: 1 time

Re: Survival course review

Post by ChopperDoc » Mon Dec 03, 2012 10:21 am

Very nice write up.

This is the course I had planned to take, but could not work it out with the family calendar.

My son will be a good age to do this with next year, so I am going to plan on that.

Glad you had a good time.
"You rarely rise to the occasion, you usually just sink to your lowest level of training."

Niceguy
KAC Member
KAC Member
Has liked: 336 times
Been liked: 92 times

Survival course review

Post by Niceguy » Mon Dec 03, 2012 10:41 am

I'm not a happy camper so to speak but would love to take this for the knowledge regardless of liking to camp or not. It's a good skill to learn, especially for someone like me that doesn't enjoy camping. Lots of basic camping skills to learn and even more of the more advanced survival skills. Also in my neck of the woods, just the other side of the county. Even better...

Return to “Survival/Bushcraft”