Sales vs bulk buying

Like to live in the wilds, or just camp? This is the board for you. All things survival and bushcraft related here.
ChickenLady
KAC Member
KAC Member
Has liked: 0
Been liked: 0

Sales vs bulk buying

Post by ChickenLady » Mon Nov 19, 2012 9:49 am

Figured I'd make this thread for others to update and add to as you find the good deals and stock up. Most of you know I pretty much buy everything in multiples.

So far for this week:

Meijer:

Flour 1.50 for 5lbs
Sugar 2.60 for 5lbs
Sweet Potato's: .25/lb

I buy flour 25lbs at a time so this makes it cheaper than Costco! Also buy sugar 10lbs at a time and this makes it cheaper than Costco as well.
Livewire wrote:CL, the most sought after chicken farming insurance agent in kentucky
Livewire wrote:You're cooking has bought you a team of body guards wiling to follow you around at school

nemo
KAC Member
KAC Member
Has liked: 36 times
Been liked: 164 times

Sales vs bulk buying

Post by nemo » Mon Nov 19, 2012 9:53 am

Big bulk box stores are not always cheaper, I found that out last week.
Oh, how so high they fly........ only further to fall.

-Life

ChickenLady
KAC Member
KAC Member

Re: Sales vs bulk buying

Post by ChickenLady » Mon Nov 19, 2012 9:56 am

nemo wrote:Big bulk box stores are not always cheaper, I found that out last week.
Exactly. Always comparison shop. ALWAYS. Some stuff I can only buy in bulk.. like they will have 3lb bags of brussel sprouts for 3.99, 2 big logs of goat cheese for 5 bucks, 45lbs of good quality dog food for 25 bucks, always cheaper to get plastic wrap, alum foil, and stuff like that in bulk.
Livewire wrote:CL, the most sought after chicken farming insurance agent in kentucky
Livewire wrote:You're cooking has bought you a team of body guards wiling to follow you around at school

Looksdeadtome

Post by Looksdeadtome » Mon Nov 19, 2012 10:40 am

When I buy in bulk I have been trying to do the "price per pound" method. I was buying some stuff and over paying for it. I think the last thing I figured out I was over paying for sugar in the 25 pd bags. Was cheaper buying the 4 pd bags at save alot vs the 25 pders at Sam's. My wife was extremely happy she got to call me out on that one.

Kadnine
KAC Member
KAC Member

Post by Kadnine » Mon Nov 19, 2012 2:26 pm

Yes. Teach yer non-survival-mentality peeps the value of comparison shopping. I always explain it this way and wait for the light-bulb moment:

In ANY transaction there are three parties. 1)You, the buyer, 2)him, the seller, and 3)them, the seller's competition. Guess what? It's not the seller's job to tell what the competition is charging for the same goods and services. That's on you.

Heard on the radio today that, for once, gas in Louisville is the lowest in the state. Avg $3.13, so fill 'em if ya got 'em!

- Keith
~~~

"'...what it is to be a bondservant thou knowest full well, but of freedom thou hast never yet made trial, to know whether it be a sweet thing or not. For if ever thou hadst experience thereof, thou wouldest counsel us to fight for it not with spears only but with axes.' Thus the Spartans answered Hydarnes." - Herodotus

~~~

Kadnine
KAC Member
KAC Member

Post by Kadnine » Mon Nov 19, 2012 2:37 pm

Also, not a traditional survival item, but it IS a bulk priced deal of a lifetime:

Preston Arts Store at Gardiner Lane Shopping Center is closing out some NICE bulk paper DIRT CHEAP! Heavy weight, acid-free, archival quality, 30"x35" for $2.00 a sheet. 100 sheets for $147! Suitable for watercolor, or pretty much anything, really. This is quality stuff.

I've seen paper like this retail for up to $9 per sheet. Any artists out there may wanna stock up. I did.

- Keith
~~~

"'...what it is to be a bondservant thou knowest full well, but of freedom thou hast never yet made trial, to know whether it be a sweet thing or not. For if ever thou hadst experience thereof, thou wouldest counsel us to fight for it not with spears only but with axes.' Thus the Spartans answered Hydarnes." - Herodotus

~~~

ChickenLady
KAC Member
KAC Member

Post by ChickenLady » Mon Nov 26, 2012 8:11 am

Nothing of interest in the ads this week that are calling out to me as far as bulk vs regular stores.

I did buy 30lbs of flour last week and 10lbs of sugar. And more corn starch because I thought I lost my bag of it.. only to find it yesterday. Hehe!

If you eat avocado's they are 10 for 10 at Meijer right now. Good healthy delicious fruits

Winner
KAC Member
KAC Member

Post by Winner » Mon Nov 26, 2012 9:59 pm

Most of the time on the lower left of the price sticker on the shelf,it tells you how much per ounce,pound or each of a multi pack.But they mess with you like at Sam's ,the two different peanut butters are broken down different so you still have to figure it in your head or carry a calculator.

ChickenLady
KAC Member
KAC Member

Post by ChickenLady » Tue Nov 27, 2012 8:42 am

Winner wrote:Most of the time on the lower left of the price sticker on the shelf,it tells you how much per ounce,pound or each of a multi pack.But they mess with you like at Sam's ,the two different peanut butters are broken down different so you still have to figure it in your head or carry a calculator.
Yep. I usually just whip out my phone for such things. Makes it easier.

Kadnine
KAC Member
KAC Member

Post by Kadnine » Tue Nov 27, 2012 7:34 pm

Mrs. Kadnine just scored us a free Costco membership. Regular membership 55 + 55 for executive status (guaranteed back if we don't save at least 55) and then signed up for a charge card that gift 55 after first purchase!

Can't beat free. Check out the Costco site, scope out what you may need, PM me. We'll be there on Friday evening, if you wanna tag along. :)

- Keith
~~~

~~~

ChickenLady
KAC Member
KAC Member

Post by ChickenLady » Tue Nov 27, 2012 8:17 pm

Kadnine wrote:Mrs. Kadnine just scored us a free Costco membership. Regular membership 55 + 55 for executive status (guaranteed back if we don't save at least 55) and then signed up for a charge card that gift 55 after first purchase!

Can't beat free. Check out the Costco site, scope out what you may need, PM me. We'll be there on Friday evening, if you wanna tag along. :)

- Keith
Costco IS the only bulk store I'll use here in the metro. They pay their employees well, the Costco brand never disappoints, and I have not paid for a membership in 4 years due to the Executive membership giving cash back in Feb.

They also issue coupons once a month.. there is always something in them that is too good to pass up.

ChickenLady
KAC Member
KAC Member

Post by ChickenLady » Mon Dec 03, 2012 8:31 am

Flour is on sale at Valumarket this week for 1.50 a 5lb bag. If I had some place to store another 30lbs I would get more but I don't :(

Return to “Survival/Bushcraft”