Land Nav fundamentals made easy

Like to live in the wilds, or just camp? This is the board for you. All things survival and bushcraft related here.
Kadnine
KAC Member
KAC Member
Has liked: 0
Been liked: 0

Land Nav fundamentals made easy

Post by Kadnine » Mon Nov 05, 2012 12:09 pm

Bookmark this link. Harb got me to thinking and this! This is a perishable skill. Use it or lose it, folks. Print out the manuals before the grid goes down.
Anyone out there that know of any other land nav resource or maybe some geocaching training clubs?

- Keith
~~~

"'...what it is to be a bondservant thou knowest full well, but of freedom thou hast never yet made trial, to know whether it be a sweet thing or not. For if ever thou hadst experience thereof, thou wouldest counsel us to fight for it not with spears only but with axes.' Thus the Spartans answered Hydarnes." - Herodotus

~~~

ChopperDoc
KAC Member
KAC Member
Been liked: 1 time

Re: Land Nav fundamentals made easy

Post by ChopperDoc » Mon Nov 05, 2012 12:16 pm

good link.
"You rarely rise to the occasion, you usually just sink to your lowest level of training."

ChopperDoc
KAC Member
KAC Member

Post by ChopperDoc » Mon Nov 05, 2012 12:25 pm

If you are a SG member they have the Tritium compass a little cheaper than I have seen most places.

http://www.sportsmansguide.com/net/cb/g ... x?a=287022

Have 2 of these and they are the issue compass for sure, not some cheap imitation.
"You rarely rise to the occasion, you usually just sink to your lowest level of training."

325MOUTguru
Location: Currently conducting operations in Chuck Norris' nightmares.

Post by 325MOUTguru » Mon Nov 05, 2012 8:41 pm

Good topo maps are a must.
Most of the time, you can terrain associate your way to a location.

ChopperDoc
KAC Member
KAC Member

Post by ChopperDoc » Mon Nov 05, 2012 8:43 pm

325MOUTguru wrote:Good topo maps are a must.

I got used to terrain association at 100 knots and 100 feet AGL. Have to work on a new perspective.

ChopperDoc
KAC Member
KAC Member

Post by ChopperDoc » Mon Nov 05, 2012 8:44 pm

printable maps (free)

http://www.digital-topo-maps.com/

Kadnine
KAC Member
KAC Member

Post by Kadnine » Mon Nov 05, 2012 10:37 pm

Good stuff guys. Keep it coming.

I live literally (and I know what "literally" means beyond mere exaggeration) a stone's throw from a rail road trax that run North through Cincinnati and South around the outskirts of Louisville. This is my doomsday map. If necessary, I could hike up-trax to stay with friends, or hike down-trax to friends and family. I have a sketch (laminated, with distances between fresh water sources clearly marked) in my BOB. It's not a sub for the real deal, tho. Just a last ditch guide. Even if I was injured, hurting bad, and couldn't think clearly, I could STILL drag myself and my family up or down this easily marked route.

Time to get topographical. Time to keep up the skills.

I was surprised to learn how many people in my area use http://www.geocaching.com/

- Keith
~~~

"'...what it is to be a bondservant thou knowest full well, but of freedom thou hast never yet made trial, to know whether it be a sweet thing or not. For if ever thou hadst experience thereof, thou wouldest counsel us to fight for it not with spears only but with axes.' Thus the Spartans answered Hydarnes." - Herodotus

~~~

325MOUTguru
Location: Currently conducting operations in Chuck Norris' nightmares.

Post by 325MOUTguru » Tue Nov 06, 2012 5:03 am

The tracks are what we call a linear danger area.
Basically it is an easily traveled route and because of that is essentially no different than a road.
If things ever do get shitty, I would highly advise you to only use the tracks when absolutely necessary.
Now if you make you way 15-20m into the wood line and travel parallel to the tracks, that is better but still not optimal.

Kadnine
KAC Member
KAC Member

Post by Kadnine » Tue Nov 06, 2012 6:33 am

325MOUTguru wrote:The tracks are what we call a linear danger area.
Basically it is an easily traveled route and because of that is essentially no different than a road.
If things ever do get shitty, I would highly advise you to only use the tracks when absolutely necessary.
Now if you make you way 15-20m into the wood line and travel parallel to the tracks, that is better but still not optimal.
Good catch! Even with proper adhesion to patrol protocols (parallel travel thu the woods, bounding overwatch, due tactical diligence when crossing,) IT IS STILL A ROAD AFTER ALL and should be treated as such. This is my LAST resort, but perhaps I didn't make it clear that I would never skyline myself or family on what is, essentially, just another road.

The beauty of the tracks is that they're designed to last a good twenty+ years before Mother Nature obliterates them. They don't wash away in floods, (usually,) are immune to wild fire, (generally,) are a visible land marker from the air in case of air rescue ("We're on the tracks just South of town between where Highway X and Interstate Y... um... USED TO BE.... over"), no carwreck jams blocking yer way, etc.

And there's a psychological component to seeing two, straight, parallel lines, made by man, that lead to friends and family. That's a comforting sight. And if I ever need use them to abandon my Castle for refugee living elsewhere? We're well past the point of taking such benefits for granted.

Still, a good catch, and one which needs stressing. Treat it like a road. And roads are NOT your first, best or only plan. Get a map. Get a compass. Learn them both. It's sort of a package deal, the two great tastes that go great together.

- Keith
~~~

~~~

Kadnine
KAC Member
KAC Member

Post by Kadnine » Tue Nov 06, 2012 10:23 am

ChopperDoc wrote:I got used to terrain association at 100 knots and 100 feet AGL. Have to work on a new perspective.
Heh. Never envied your mid-air map conversions when sending you a call for close air support in this strange thing we ground mammals call "meters." Frankly, I was just glad you were there at all! Soooo... Thanks!

- Keith
~~~

~~~

Harb

Post by Harb » Wed Nov 07, 2012 12:56 pm

Thanks Kandnine!

ChopperDoc
KAC Member
KAC Member

Post by ChopperDoc » Wed Nov 07, 2012 2:02 pm

Kadnine wrote:
ChopperDoc wrote:I got used to terrain association at 100 knots and 100 feet AGL. Have to work on a new perspective.
Heh. Never envied your mid-air map conversions when sending you a call for close air support in this strange thing we ground mammals call "meters." Frankly, I was just glad you were there at all! Soooo... Thanks!

- Keith

usually we cheated. GPS and all...

But I will tell you that I put a lot of effort into not using the GPS and using the map. It is a skill that is perishable and I could tell when someone had been relying on the GPS too much. Used to aggravate copilots by not letting them use the GPS and nav by dead reckoning and terrain association.

ben_p

Post by ben_p » Thu Nov 08, 2012 7:48 pm

This. Once you can utilize terrain association correctly you really don't need much else, as long as you can do it properly.
"Can you feel the tension? I can! I can feel it... down in my plums. They're getting a nice bluish hue, gettin' ready to take 'em to the farmer's market." -Ashley Schaeffer

ChopperDoc
KAC Member
KAC Member

Post by ChopperDoc » Thu Nov 08, 2012 11:40 pm

ben_p wrote:
This. Once you can utilize terrain association correctly you really don't need much else, as long as you can do it properly.
How does that terrain association work from ground level inside a forest again...

learn it all, cause you never know when you are going to need it.

ben_p

Post by ben_p » Fri Nov 09, 2012 3:00 pm

ChopperDoc wrote:
ben_p wrote:
How does that terrain association work from ground level inside a forest again...

Pretty well for me. I'm not saying to ignore fundamentals and go straight to terrain association, but once you learn to terrain associate you can move a lot faster. You might not have the precision, but if you aren't looking for coded ammo boxes in the woods it doesn't really matter.

Also, Ranger Joes sells some pretty good protractors for anyone that's interested in them. They are a good addition to anyone's map gear.
"Can you feel the tension? I can! I can feel it... down in my plums. They're getting a nice bluish hue, gettin' ready to take 'em to the farmer's market." -Ashley Schaeffer

ChopperDoc
KAC Member
KAC Member

Post by ChopperDoc » Fri Nov 09, 2012 3:21 pm

ChopperDoc wrote:
ben_p wrote:

Actually this was supposed to say:

How does that terrain association work from ground level inside a forest in the middle of the night again...

ben_p

Post by ben_p » Sat Nov 10, 2012 1:17 pm

ChopperDoc wrote:

How does that terrain association work from ground level inside a forest in the middle of the night again...
With or without NVGs? LOL I get what you are saying man, but I think you are taking my comment to the extreme a bit. The only point I was trying to get across was that I agreed with 325MOUTguru about the usefullness of terrain association with proper training.

ChopperDoc
KAC Member
KAC Member

Post by ChopperDoc » Sat Nov 10, 2012 3:49 pm

ben_p wrote:
ChopperDoc wrote:

With or without NVGs? LOL I get what you are saying man, but I think you are taking my comment to the extreme a bit. The only point I was trying to get across was that I agreed with 325MOUTguru about the usefullness of terrain association with proper training.

nope I understand, Not calling you out just trying to hit home that you should be proficient with all aspects of it. Once you learn to terrain associate you will use that a majority of the time, no doubt.

Return to “Survival/Bushcraft”