BOB/GHB pic thread

Like to live in the wilds, or just camp? This is the board for you. All things survival and bushcraft related here.
justang1997
KAC Member
KAC Member
Has liked: 0
Been liked: 0

BOB/GHB pic thread

Post by justang1997 » Wed Sep 19, 2012 10:58 am

Just wanna see pics with gear descriptions. Not really a how to thread, but just see what everyone is rocking.

ChopperDoc
KAC Member
KAC Member
Been liked: 1 time

Re: BOB/GHB pic thread

Post by ChopperDoc » Wed Sep 19, 2012 1:18 pm

Just repacked and inventoried my GHB (and getting ready to do it again and add cold weather stuff) the other day.

No pics of my actual bag, but here is what I put it in:

FOX Tactical Field Ops Pack.

has plenty of room for a 3 day pack. I have a MOLLE butt pack that I attach to it with all the cold weather extras I need, so 'repacking' for winter is pretty easy.

The pack is tough. I was pleasantly surprised. I have put a lot of stress on the zippers to see if I could get them to fail, and so far no issues even when filling compartments to their limit. Not as comfortable as an external frame pack, but easier to get in the truck or the trunk of the car and not take up too much space. If I had to use it, I think I would be less worried about those things than just getting home and keeping alive. My GHB is also my 'stay alive' bag if we are stranded, say, in a blizzard on the side of the road waiting for help.

Contents:

My bag is just under 60lbs right now, but some of the gear in there (close to 16lbs of it) comes out of the bag and goes on my body if I am having to use that bag. Stuff like guns, magazines, knives, etc.

I have gear ready to go in layers. Level 1 is MANDATORY stuff. It is stuff I cannot do without. If I lost everything BUT that I could survive. I would not be moving very quickly, but I would survive. Everything in Level 1 is secured to my belt or self with paracord lanyards Level 2 is almost as important as Level 1. It includes the rifle mags, etc. Level 3 is gear that would be last to come out of the pack. Typically at a secure encampment site. It won't be as comfortable living without it, but it can be done.

If you notice in my list I have paracord woven into many of my carry items (like my hat). Paracord is light weight and one of the most versatile things in my pack. I have lots of it so it goes at ALL levels of gear (1, 2 & 3)

I suppose I have a Level 4 gear set as well. There is stuff in the truck or car depending on the season. (Wool blankets in winter, etc). I may not be able to get this stuff or carry this stuff but if we just get stranded somewhere and are staying with the car it is nice to have. I have something to siphon with in there as well as a small container to carry fuel in. I figure if I am going to walk away from a car I might as well take some gas with me. Could come in handy.

I use the 'roll up' style Space Bags. No vacuum cleaner needed, you seal then roll the air out via the one way valve. Can be had at China Mart in various sizes. This keeps clothing dry and also compresses it for space. Can be resealed and compresses in the field environment.

All magazines are loaded as well as the additional loose ammo listed.

Weapons & Tools

BFK (Big F**king Knife) - can be used as a hammer as well (I have an M16 bayonet for this tool). Not efficient but can be used for chopping as well as digging.
MORA knife (attached to the drop leg holster)
Sub2k in 40 S&W with four 25 rd mags (will have 3 15rd mags on me for EDC). paracord braid sling
Swiss Army Knife
SOG multi-tool
Sharpening stone
oil wipes for guns
(2) 50 round 'food saver' packages of 40 S&W ammo
fire starter pack (spark maker, strike anywhere/windproof matches, lighter and Vaseline soaked cotton balls)
compass (I have a full sized one and a couple of the little ones attached to various levels of gear)
map of the State(s) I have a one of all 50 and I could just tear out the ones I need if I start walking.
(2) LED flashlights 1 w/ red lens (so if I need to use it at night I don't screw up my night vision too bad)
VS-17 panel (high visibility panel - let's face it, not all emergencies are you going to want to be stealthy.)
heavy ZIP Ties - approx 30 (1 pack)

Clothing

Winter

XPS gear under garments (top & bottom), mid weight (http://www.basspro.com/RedHead-XPS-Expe ... 164/136932)
wool socks (6 pair)
baklava
waterproof boots (replaced with lightweight hikers in summer)
Mittens (opens to allow for fingers free for working / shooting)
wool scarf
hand / toe warmers
(I should always have a jacket in the car/truck)

Any season

Frogg Toggs Rain gear-poncho and suit *
extra under garments
sun glasses (these are smoked safety glasses)
Clear safety glasses **
boonie hat (with paracord braided into band)
earth tone khaki pants & shirt (LA Police Gear)
Riggers belt
2 pr nomex aviator gloves
2 bandanas
camo hunting face cover ***

Warm weather

warm weather hiking boots (replaced with heavier boots for winter)
neck cooling rag (the ones you soak, forget what they are called)
6 pr sports socks

Sustenance

2 days of water for 1 person (pre-packaged, 5 yr shelf life packets) - if you are moving quick don't waste time boiling water.
Katadyn backpack water filter system and small container of pool shock to purify water I find.
~20 coffee filters (pre-filtering water if necessary)
6000 calories of food bars (not tasty but easy to eat on the move and light weight)
~ 20 bullion cubes or season packets from Ramen noodle packets.
small bag of spices (if I am going to eat bugs they are going to taste good!)
gatorade powder mix
5 hour energy drinks (3)
15 packets of MRE peanut butter

Other Gear

Mylar emergency shelter
Emergency blanket
Poncho liner
~ 200' coiled 550 cord
Small flat bungee cords (4 pack)
Fuel tabs - 5 pack (easy to heat water in a canteen without a full fire)
2 Chemlites
extra batteries (AA, AAA, and CR123)
1 UVPaqLite (http://www.uvpaqlite.com/uvpaqlite.html)
1 'neck kit' with fire stick, button compass, wire saw, waterproof matches, small 1st aid stuff, snare wire, fishing wire, sinkers and hooks, micro flashlight, and a space blanket.
Duty Belt
  • (2) M16 ammo pouchs (for food bars and other 1st line gear stuff)
    utility pouch - holds Glock Hi Cap mags
    utility pouch - holds poncho, liner and some other misc small stuff from the list here
    Drop leg holster
    2 canteen carriers with canteens and 1 cup (empty until I need them)
100MPH tape / duct tape
Toilet paper / baby wipes
small pencil and notepad
a couple of caribiner clips
there is a 100 ounce bladder with straw/bite tube in the backpack
(still need to add a small solar charger for the cell phone possibly. I have one that will charge the car battery in the car but I don't have attachments to connect it direct to the phone charger)

First Aid Kit

This stuff is in an Army issue IFAK attached to my belt (first line gear)
Bandages
Tourniquet
mold-able splint
ace bandage
tylenol
any req'd meds - (i.e. the wife may need an emergency inhaler)
bandaids, several sizes
bug juice (individual wipe packets, unscented)
snake bite kit
triple antibiotic ointment
small soap bar
small toothbrush (used for scrubbing under fingernails in case I need to dress a wound and have no gloves)
floss
sterile pads
surgical tape
butterfly wound closures
6 surgical masks
3 pr latex gloves
hand sanitizer
anti-diarreha pills
Celox and quikclot (kaolin) bandages
Nasopharyngeal airway

* Frogg Toggs - I did have Gortex stuff packed for rain gear, but it takes up 2x the space and weighs 3x as much as the Frogg Togg suit. The Toggs weigh 26 ounces. Nice use of space and weight. they are durable and keep body heat in. Good in any climate.

** having walked through the woods on 1 or 10 occasions I know it can be hazardous to your eyes moving through thick vegetation. Now add to that the complications of moving through thick vegetation at night. You need some eye protection...

*** At first I had camo paint in the pack instead of the lightweight face cover. Then I started thinking, what if I needed to go through, or into, a populated area and mingle? Harder to wash off the war paint than just take off a piece of clothing.
"You rarely rise to the occasion, you usually just sink to your lowest level of training."

BIGC
Has liked: 14 times
Been liked: 3 times

Post by BIGC » Wed Sep 19, 2012 5:12 pm

Any comments/opinions on the fox tactical pack doc? I have a dealer acct through them haven't tried much of their gear yet
1 Corinthians 13:13

And now these three remain: faith, hope and love. But the greatest of these is love.

http://stores.ebay.com/Big-Cs-Survival-Store?_rdc=1

ChopperDoc
KAC Member
KAC Member

Post by ChopperDoc » Wed Sep 19, 2012 5:40 pm

BIGC wrote:Any comments/opinions on the fox tactical pack doc? I have a dealer acct through them haven't tried much of their gear yet

yeah, I was skeptical, seeing the price. But I have some of their other smaller stuff and it seems well made.

The pack is built well. Like I stated above, I was worried about the zippers, as most cheap gear I have seen this has been a weak point. I overstuffed several pockets and forced the zippers closed to see if I could get them to blow out. Did not happen.

They have various levels / sizes of packs that I have seen on the net. For the money, I would say this is a good one. Has the spot for the bladder, decent padding on the back and the straps, MOLLE everywhere, and a good choice of colors. You could easily pack more in this thing than you could carry reasonably. I had to exercise some restraint about putting in more stuff just because there was room.

It's always in my truck. Feel free to check it out next time you are up this way.
"You rarely rise to the occasion, you usually just sink to your lowest level of training."

justang1997
KAC Member
KAC Member

BOB/GHB pic thread

Post by justang1997 » Thu Sep 20, 2012 12:48 pm

Wow. Thanks for the healthy write up. I was thinking about my ghb set up yesterday because I am driving a new car now and it has a larger trunk. I was using a large camelback pack in my convertable mustang trunk. All I had room for.
With winter getting close I'm not gonna just add my winter stuff, I'm gonna add more of what you called your 4th line gear. Another problem I had in the stang is the trunk would leak. So now I can throw my stuff into a milk crate like I prefere doing instead of the smaller tool box I used in the stang to keep stuff dry.

Robert Paulson
KAC Member
KAC Member

Post by Robert Paulson » Sat Sep 22, 2012 4:53 pm

opsec

325MOUTguru
Location: Currently conducting operations in Chuck Norris' nightmares.

Post by 325MOUTguru » Sat Sep 22, 2012 8:04 pm

My GHB is a North Face Heckler.
Figure if I'm trying to get home, I would do best to "blend" with the crowd.

ChopperDoc
KAC Member
KAC Member

Post by ChopperDoc » Sat Sep 22, 2012 8:08 pm

325MOUTguru wrote:My GHB is a North Face Heckler.
Figure if I'm trying to get home, I would do best to "blend" with the crowd.
I kind of thought that as well, but then I changed my mind as i figured I am more than likely going to try and avoid people in many scenarios where I am walking away from a vehicle and everyone else is too.

If it was jut because I am broken down somewhere, then yeah, my military style stuff is not as advantageous.

Bama

Post by Bama » Sat Sep 22, 2012 11:01 pm

So I am unfamiliar with this stuff. Can somebody lay out the basics as far as scenarios and things like...what is GHB, etc. Maybe thread jacking. My apologies if so
Kingdom Concealment
Matthew 23:12 - And whosoever shall exalt himself shall be humbled; and whosoever shall humble himself shall be exalted.

ChopperDoc
KAC Member
KAC Member

Post by ChopperDoc » Sun Sep 23, 2012 12:29 am

Bama wrote:So I am unfamiliar with this stuff. Can somebody lay out the basics as far as scenarios and things like...what is GHB, etc. Maybe thread jacking. My apologies if so

Sorry for the acronym use, often we forget others do not speak that lingo...

GHB = Get Home Bag.

It is a personal preference, and should be commensurate to your survival skill level, as to what you carry in it.

I try to plan for a worst case scenario with me being 3 days WALK away from home and plan from there. The goal is to get home alive.

Food. Water. navigation. self defense. snivel gear (stuff that keeps you warm in winter or cool in the summer or just plain comfortable). Clothing. something to make a fire. Something to keep the rain off of you. Something to carry all that stuff in that you can stand to have on your back for the next 3 days to a week or so. You will also need to consider a means to acquire clean water and food if your 3 days of gear runs out.

This bag can also be your break down bag... i.e you are traveling home to Louisville from St Louis MO and you get stuck in a blizzard out there in God's country and you have not seen headlights other than your own for about an hour. This stuff can keep you alive until you can get rescued.

My GHB is a continual work in progress. Assess the 'threat level' and adjust the items in the bag. If I am traveling a long distance, obviously there are mods to the stuff in the car, even if the bag contents do not change. The bag is always in the car (well, I don't leave it there at night, it's in the house.)

I layer my gear in 3 basic layers. 1st line gear is on me no matter what. That gear is in pockets, around my neck, on the same belt my pants are held up with. It is the bare minimum I need to survive.

2nd Line gear is stuff that makes it easier to survive, but it is still is not living in comfort.

3rd line gear is everything in the pack and all 1st / 2nd line gear combined and on me. It ain't no Lazy-Boy recliner, but I should be pretty comfortable considering the circumstances.

My worst case scenario is that there is some event where everyone around me is in the same boat. Stranded. Car is dead and they have just what I have: whatever they planned to bring with them in the car. For most of them, probably very little. Panic, thirst and hunger will be setting in on those folks quickly, so that means, at least initially, I will want to be moving quickly and avoiding contact with other humans. Hence the food and water I can eat on the move.

Now this kind of event is going to be unlikely, but I figure with my luck, if I don't plan for it my chances of seeing it go up exponentially. I don't typically plan for Zombies, Vampires or Aliens, so if one of those things happens you can all just blame me for not preparing for that.

I based my 3 days more off of what I can carry in food, ammo and water and other gear for the 'mission' than anything else (although I was always taught that if you plan on moving at your best speed/distance capability do not plan to carry over 1/3 of your body weight, obviously this varies with level of fitness as well). I will need to move pretty fast and that is not possible, even if you are in great shape, with a heavy pack. The gear is layered so that if I have to make a split second decision to move faster and drop some gear I can do so quickly without having to cross load something and waste time that might get me killed.

Hope this helped answer a few questions.

justang1997
KAC Member
KAC Member

Post by justang1997 » Sun Sep 23, 2012 12:50 am

My worst case scenario is that I would have to walk home from work due to a catastrophe, natural or man made. Being that I live 45 miles from work, I have my on set of problems that most people don't have. I have tested my ability to walk/run that distance in various weather. Yeah, I'm kinda crazy. So for me with a 40lbs pack it takes me about 12 hours in rough terrain to go half the distance. In easy terrain, with 15lbs I can do it in a full day of about 15 hours.

The scenario I plan for is another winter ice storm, civil unrest/rioting, or something like that train derailment that happened in shepherdsville about 6 years ago and caused me to be in traffic for 5 hours. So whether I'm hoofing it on foot, or just living in my car overnight, I like to have gear for those scenarios.

jackalo626
Global Mod
Global Mod
Has liked: 20 times
Been liked: 22 times

Post by jackalo626 » Sun Sep 23, 2012 1:12 pm

I will be checking in on this thread an reading others inventory as I have been thinking for the past few weeks of what I need to have starting by the most important and building my own ghb and adding the more "comfort/comfort" items.

Dave1965
KAC Member
KAC Member
Been liked: 23 times

Post by Dave1965 » Sun Sep 23, 2012 4:03 pm

Have gun, take someone else's GHB

ChopperDoc
KAC Member
KAC Member

Post by ChopperDoc » Sun Sep 23, 2012 6:30 pm

Dave1965 wrote:Have gun, take someone else's GHB
This is the EXACT reason that if there is an event where others are stranded as well as myself I plan on avoiding other people.

I know yo are joking Dave, but this mindset will take over within hours for the panic stricken. If you are carrying a backpack walking past stranded folks on the highway, your life span is likely measured in minutes.

325MOUTguru
Location: Currently conducting operations in Chuck Norris' nightmares.

Post by 325MOUTguru » Sun Sep 23, 2012 7:41 pm

Make no mistake, I plan on avoiding people as best I can.
However I work in an area of Louisville chock full of fucktards.
Best I can do is remain "hidden in plain sight" until I can escape that AO.

Robert Paulson
KAC Member
KAC Member

Post by Robert Paulson » Sun Sep 23, 2012 8:29 pm

325MOUTguru wrote:Make no mistake, I plan on avoiding people as best I can.
However I work in an area of Louisville chock full of fucktards.
Best I can do is remain "hidden in plain sight" until I can escape that AO.

Ditto.

ChopperDoc
KAC Member
KAC Member

Post by ChopperDoc » Mon Sep 24, 2012 12:43 pm

Adding a pack of these to my GHB and IFAK

http://www.bravocompanyusa.com/SearchRe ... 100&page=1

justang1997
KAC Member
KAC Member

Post by justang1997 » Fri Sep 28, 2012 11:25 pm

This guy. Man, I don't know what to say. I'd laugh but it's just too sad. Poor guy don't have a clue. Well, I guess he has a clue but that's about it. SMH at 5 (FIVE!!!) "cheap" knives and 3 shitty flashlights. Won't even comment on the gun scenario he has going on there.

[youtube]c9aUa_S3ANI[/youtube]

justang1997
KAC Member
KAC Member

Post by justang1997 » Sat Sep 29, 2012 12:01 am

ok, ok, ok... this guy's kit features 6 containers of gatoraid, 3 cans of spam and... drumroll please.... A TWISTED UP HANGER!!!!

[youtube]aQsTtLVAIvc[/youtube]

ben_p

Post by ben_p » Sat Sep 29, 2012 12:44 am

I have a little kelty pack I got at Sams club with a 3 liter bladder in it. I keep a kabar, fishing gear, some jerky, a fire starter, a mylar blanket, and a frontier pro water purifier. I mostly use it for camping, but it could serve as an emergency bag if I had to get out and go somewhere on short notice. I guess I could always toss a few pmags in there and grab my rifle if needed, but I don't really foresee any circumstances where that would be necessary.

I mostly just like to camp, fish, and hike around the woods in my free time.
"Can you feel the tension? I can! I can feel it... down in my plums. They're getting a nice bluish hue, gettin' ready to take 'em to the farmer's market." -Ashley Schaeffer

Bama

Post by Bama » Sat Sep 29, 2012 11:37 pm

Deffinently learning some things on this site. Gonna start putting together one of these. Wife already thinks I'm crazy for my thought process, hell this can't hurt it anymore.
Sometimes it sucks (for lack of a better word) not having a lot of military background. Seems most of you guys are current/former military and have been trained to think like this. I just fix shit that has and engine, or is a computer.
Kingdom Concealment
Matthew 23:12 - And whosoever shall exalt himself shall be humbled; and whosoever shall humble himself shall be exalted.

JustShootIt
Founding Father
Founding Father
Has liked: 3 times

Post by JustShootIt » Sun Sep 30, 2012 11:38 am

ben_p wrote:I have a little kelty pack I got at Sams club with a 3 liter bladder in it. I keep a kabar, fishing gear, some jerky, a fire starter, a mylar blanket, and a frontier pro water purifier. I mostly use it for camping, but it could serve as an emergency bag if I had to get out and go somewhere on short notice. I guess I could always toss a few pmags in there and grab my rifle if needed, but I don't really foresee any circumstances where that would be necessary.

That's like "I don't carry a gun because I'm not going anywhere I'll need it"
"All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing."(Edmund Burke)

ben_p

Post by ben_p » Sun Sep 30, 2012 11:52 am

JustShootIt wrote:
ben_p wrote:I have a little kelty pack I got at Sams club with a 3 liter bladder in it. I keep a kabar, fishing gear, some jerky, a fire starter, a mylar blanket, and a frontier pro water purifier. I mostly use it for camping, but it could serve as an emergency bag if I had to get out and go somewhere on short notice. I guess I could always toss a few pmags in there and grab my rifle if needed, but I don't really foresee any circumstances where that would be necessary.

No, I can foresee realistic circumstances where I will need a handgun. Why would I be walking around with a pack on my back and a rifle in hand? Zombies? Also, I work 5 minutes from home at a military base and I have a stockpile of MREs, firearms, and ammo at home. The only time I would consider evacuation is in the event of a hurricane, which gives me plenty of time to get my things together and leave.
"Can you feel the tension? I can! I can feel it... down in my plums. They're getting a nice bluish hue, gettin' ready to take 'em to the farmer's market." -Ashley Schaeffer

ChopperDoc
KAC Member
KAC Member

Post by ChopperDoc » Sun Sep 30, 2012 12:09 pm

5 minutes driving is not 5 minutes walking, especially if folks are panicked and the world is going to hell in Gucci Bag.

If you work on a military base, you are limited anyway, you will have to have other options.

A GHB has to be tailored to you, your eval of METT-T, etc. Mine will not be the same if I am going to be heading out of State as it is when driving around here.At one point I was driving downtown every day. I started building my bag assuming that I would have to walk through at least part of that area to get home. I'll be honest, "blending in" did not cross my mind in pack selection because unless I have a master disguise kit in my bag the color of my skin would likely make me a target of opportunity in any kind of panic/riot/meltdown.

I thought about one of those afro wigs from the Halloween store, but opted for more ammo instead.

JustShootIt
Founding Father
Founding Father
Has liked: 3 times

Post by JustShootIt » Sun Sep 30, 2012 12:18 pm

ben_p wrote:
JustShootIt wrote:

No, I can foresee realistic circumstances where I will need a handgun. Why would I be walking around with a pack on my back and a rifle in hand? Zombies? Also, I work 5 minutes from home at a military base and I have a stockpile of MREs, firearms, and ammo at home. The only time I would consider evacuation is in the event of a hurricane, which gives me plenty of time to get my things together and leave.
Calm down Nancy......I never said to walk around with a pack and a rifle in hand.....I could elaborate, but I'll pass.....I really wasnt busting your balls, just making a point that I felt was relevant to the integrity of the threar
"All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing."(Edmund Burke)

Return to “Survival/Bushcraft”