Hiking

Like to live in the wilds, or just camp? This is the board for you. All things survival and bushcraft related here.
BIGC
Has liked: 14 times
Been liked: 3 times

Hiking

Post by BIGC » Wed Mar 07, 2012 8:42 pm

Figured I would post up and see if anybody likes to hike. Where you like to hike. What you carry with you etc...

I managed to get out with some friends in Jefferson Memorial Forrest yesterday. Not quite sure the trail we took but it was 3.1 miles starting at the campground on top of Mitchell Hill Road.

Next time I get out I am going to try and get some pictures on the trail.

The other area I have hiked lately is the Paul Yost recreation area also in Jefferson Memorial Forrest..
1 Corinthians 13:13

And now these three remain: faith, hope and love. But the greatest of these is love.

http://stores.ebay.com/Big-Cs-Survival-Store?_rdc=1

renovatio
KAC Member
KAC Member
Has liked: 0
Been liked: 0

Re: Hiking

Post by renovatio » Wed Mar 07, 2012 8:48 pm

Knobstone trail up in IN is awesome and intense. I've only hiked a small section of it, I'd like to see more of it. Red River Gorge is beautiful if you don't mind the drive, I've hiked most of that.
We have learned better than that, and know it more, for it is waking that understands sleep and not sleep that understands waking. -C.S. Lewis

scorpionmain
KAC Member
KAC Member

Post by scorpionmain » Wed Mar 07, 2012 9:05 pm

I enjoy hiking and usually just hit up the trails that are local to me in the Pine Mountain State Resort Park and surrounding areas.
I prefer to go on trails with the less human traffic and I usually wear Vibrams Five Fingered shoes.
I always take my dog, a handgun, & water.
"Among the natural rights of the colonists are these: First a right to life, secondly to liberty, and thirdly to property; together with the right to defend them in the best manner they can."
–Samuel Adams

scorpionmain
KAC Member
KAC Member

Post by scorpionmain » Wed Mar 07, 2012 9:08 pm

I would like to upgrade my hiking carry piece to a 10mm, sometime.
"Among the natural rights of the colonists are these: First a right to life, secondly to liberty, and thirdly to property; together with the right to defend them in the best manner they can."
–Samuel Adams

justang1997
KAC Member
KAC Member

Post by justang1997 » Wed Mar 07, 2012 11:51 pm

I did a 20 miler in one day at knobstone. From start to 10 mile marker and back on a horse trail. The one and only time I went to Jefferson memorial Forrest (from here on known as JAY MOFO) I got lost and had to hike up to a house and ask directions. LOL, buddy and I emerged from the woods in army pt gear and rucks looking like a couple of a holes.

BIGC

Post by BIGC » Wed Mar 07, 2012 11:52 pm

I have been meaning to pick up one of the maps from the recreation center or whatever that place is... so far knock on wood I havent been lost in there, but that is because I always know how to backtrace my previous path...

And now these three remain: faith, hope and love. But the greatest of these is love.

justang1997
KAC Member
KAC Member

Post by justang1997 » Wed Mar 07, 2012 11:58 pm

It was middle of summer and trails were overgrown and we were more or less running up and down with rucks on trying to get in shape for that marijuana eradication team that ksp does with certain national guard units. It didn't take long go get tired and lost.

BIGC

Post by BIGC » Fri Mar 09, 2012 9:52 pm

hiked a little portion of land out in Cecilia today.. Nice hike, JSI showed led us to a cave and quite a few other cool places...

jmeister
KAC Member
KAC Member
Has liked: 3 times

Post by jmeister » Sat Mar 10, 2012 4:29 pm

We try to go as often as possible. Hiked Pine Mt and Cumberland Gap last weekend, going to the Gorge tomorrow

samb.

Post by samb. » Sun Jan 04, 2015 11:35 pm

Bumping it up cause I got some hiking gear for xmas.

Whootsinator
Little Butthole

Post by Whootsinator » Sun Jan 04, 2015 11:45 pm

You can't just say that without talking about it or posting a single picture!
"I don't retreat; I kick ass in the other direction."

ssracer
KAC Member
KAC Member
Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 55 times

Post by ssracer » Mon Jan 05, 2015 12:38 am

Hitting Hoosier National Forest next weekend Friday-Sunday

Rescue9
Been liked: 4 times

Post by Rescue9 » Mon Jan 05, 2015 12:16 pm

ssracer wrote:Hitting Hoosier National Forest next weekend Friday-Sunday
Family outing or solo? I don't mind soloing every now and then, but rather hike with others. Problem is, finding like-minded hikers in western Kentucky is somewhat difficult.

samb.

Post by samb. » Mon Jan 05, 2015 12:17 pm

Tarptent Contrail for my upcoming 2016 thru hike. Can't wait to get out of the USMC to start hiking and prepping for it again.

ssracer
KAC Member
KAC Member

Post by ssracer » Mon Jan 05, 2015 12:32 pm

Rescue9 wrote:
ssracer wrote:Hitting Hoosier National Forest next weekend Friday-Sunday
Family outing or solo? I don't mind soloing every now and then, but rather hike with others. Problem is, finding like-minded hikers in western Kentucky is somewhat difficult.
Me and a buddy are going.

ssracer
KAC Member
KAC Member

Post by ssracer » Mon Jan 05, 2015 3:47 pm

Gonna be F'n COLD on Friday night...lol

Whootsinator
Little Butthole

Post by Whootsinator » Mon Jan 05, 2015 4:53 pm

I'm good for cold. 0 degree down bag by Sierra Designs.

ssracer
KAC Member
KAC Member

Post by ssracer » Mon Jan 05, 2015 7:49 pm

Gotta get me a good bag eventually. I've got a surplus mil sleep system I use. Works but it's bulky and heavy. My brother got me a Coleman bag for Christmas but it's only good to 25 degrees

Toddstang
Global Mod
Global Mod
Has liked: 145 times
Been liked: 96 times

Post by Toddstang » Mon Jan 05, 2015 8:05 pm

I grew up hiking those trails in Jefferson Memorial before it was considered a forest. Yea, I know Im old.

We ran those trails from Bullitt County brick yards all the way to Dixie Highway.

ChickenLady
KAC Member
KAC Member

Post by ChickenLady » Tue Jan 06, 2015 12:06 pm

Jeff forest is my favorite for horse trails. Ever since they redid them they are much nicer, although I worry about the edges since they did not set up erosion blocks very well. Which makes me nervous about the edges with a frisky horse. Other than that great place. Looking forward to exploring Obannon Woods and the old Wyandotte system this summer.
Livewire wrote:CL, the most sought after chicken farming insurance agent in kentucky
Livewire wrote:You're cooking has bought you a team of body guards wiling to follow you around at school

baknblack

Post by baknblack » Tue Jan 06, 2015 2:10 pm

ChickenLady wrote:Jeff forest is my favorite for horse trails. Ever since they redid them they are much nicer, although I worry about the edges since they did not set up erosion blocks very well. Which makes me nervous about the edges with a frisky horse. Other than that great place. Looking forward to exploring Obannon Woods and the old Wyandotte system this summer.
I'm going to try to check it out this summer. The wife and I finally got to Taylorsville in October last year. Real nice over there. Only met one group of 4 horses and one hiker with 2 young boys and a dog in about 5 hrs.

ChickenLady
KAC Member
KAC Member

Post by ChickenLady » Tue Jan 06, 2015 3:25 pm

baknblack wrote:
ChickenLady wrote:Jeff forest is my favorite for horse trails. Ever since they redid them they are much nicer, although I worry about the edges since they did not set up erosion blocks very well. Which makes me nervous about the edges with a frisky horse. Other than that great place. Looking forward to exploring Obannon Woods and the old Wyandotte system this summer.
I'm going to try to check it out this summer. The wife and I finally got to Taylorsville in October last year. Real nice over there. Only met one group of 4 horses and one hiker with 2 young boys and a dog in about 5 hrs.
Tville lake is on my list of places to go explore. Last I heard the horse trails were iffy, so I may wait till somebody else goes first :lol:
Livewire wrote:CL, the most sought after chicken farming insurance agent in kentucky
Livewire wrote:You're cooking has bought you a team of body guards wiling to follow you around at school

baknblack

Post by baknblack » Tue Jan 06, 2015 5:45 pm

ChickenLady wrote:
baknblack wrote:
Tville lake is on my list of places to go explore. Last I heard the horse trails were iffy, so I may wait till somebody else goes first :lol:
The trails are awesome. Just don't go into the bottoms during wet weather. And, if you're not with someone who knows the trails, take a GPS. We got lost and had to use Google maps to point us to the parking lot. Leaves had fallen and the trails don't have enough markers. Still was an awesome day.

Whootsinator
Little Butthole

Post by Whootsinator » Tue Jan 06, 2015 10:13 pm

The forest is a completely different place when those leaves drop. Some things get easier, others are suddenly foreign.

Just make sure you have a map.

Return to “Survival/Bushcraft”