Battery storage methods

Like to live in the wilds, or just camp? This is the board for you. All things survival and bushcraft related here.
BIGC
Has liked: 14 times
Been liked: 3 times

Battery storage methods

Post by BIGC » Sun Sep 23, 2018 8:31 pm

Anyone have any suggestions on the best methods for battery storage?

I have thrown out several Duracell this weekend that were supposed to be good till 2024 or better. I keep them stored in my bedroom in a dresser right now in their standard packages they are purchased in. Several had corroded in the packaging.

I also had to throw out several I had in a pill bottle in my bug out bag for the same reason.
1 Corinthians 13:13

And now these three remain: faith, hope and love. But the greatest of these is love.

http://stores.ebay.com/Big-Cs-Survival-Store?_rdc=1

Toddstang
Global Mod
Global Mod
Has liked: 145 times
Been liked: 98 times

Re: Battery storage methods

Post by Toddstang » Sun Sep 23, 2018 8:37 pm

Call the 800 # on the packaging. Should be covered if still sealed.

WLJ
KAC Member
KAC Member
Has liked: 11 times
Been liked: 110 times

Post by WLJ » Sun Sep 23, 2018 8:42 pm

Chance they were counterfeit?
There are criminals among us who are both homicidal and incorrigible. Their parents took a shot at civilizing them and failed. Their school teachers took a shot at them and failed. The odds are overwhelming that government welfare programs and penal institutions took a shot at them and failed. If it ever becomes your turn to take a shot at them, don’t fail.

BIGC

Post by BIGC » Sun Sep 23, 2018 8:54 pm

WLJ wrote:Chance they were counterfeit?

only if lowe's was selling counterfeits..

And now these three remain: faith, hope and love. But the greatest of these is love.

BIGC

Post by BIGC » Sun Sep 23, 2018 8:56 pm

Toddstang wrote:Call the 800 # on the packaging. Should be covered if still sealed.
unfortunately they were open. I changed all my flashlight batteries a couple weeks ago.

I will say it seems to be only AAA batteries doing it.

WLJ
KAC Member
KAC Member

Post by WLJ » Sun Sep 23, 2018 9:13 pm

BIGC wrote:
WLJ wrote:Chance they were counterfeit?

only if lowe's was selling counterfeits..
After googleing Duracell aaa counterfeit it would appear walmart got a bunch. I would be willing to bet they often use the same vendors.
I just find it hard to believe legitimate duracels would do that in the package
There are criminals among us who are both homicidal and incorrigible. Their parents took a shot at civilizing them and failed. Their school teachers took a shot at them and failed. The odds are overwhelming that government welfare programs and penal institutions took a shot at them and failed. If it ever becomes your turn to take a shot at them, don’t fail.

BIGC

Post by BIGC » Sun Sep 23, 2018 9:49 pm

Doing some research and several people say that one of the best ways to store batteries is the MTM ammo boxes that loader use. The say the one for the 500 S&W fits AA batteries pretty good. I may invest in a few boxes and give it a try.

I have about 200 batteries (or more) put up right now so I am trying to figure out good storage methods.

Dave1965
KAC Member
KAC Member
Has liked: 0
Been liked: 23 times

Post by Dave1965 » Mon Sep 24, 2018 12:35 pm

I always heard the refrigerator was the best place.

Niceguy
KAC Member
KAC Member
Has liked: 327 times
Been liked: 92 times

Post by Niceguy » Mon Sep 24, 2018 1:07 pm

Dave1965 wrote:I always heard the refrigerator was the best place.
Same here. Mine are usually in the freezer. Not sure if that's best, but never remember having an issue. I usually let them warm up a little before I put them in anything, but even the few times I couldn't wait and used them immediately I've never had an issue.

BIGC

Post by BIGC » Mon Sep 24, 2018 1:50 pm

Niceguy wrote:
Dave1965 wrote:I always heard the refrigerator was the best place.
Same here. Mine are usually in the freezer. Not sure if that's best, but never remember having an issue. I usually let them warm up a little before I put them in anything, but even the few times I couldn't wait and used them immediately I've never had an issue.

I've heard that before, but I have something like 300 batteries on the shelf. Not sure I want to take up that much freezer space lol... I bought some of the larger MTM sealed ammo boxes a while back, I may try and line out the batteries in there and see if that works.

Rem700
KAC Member
KAC Member
Has liked: 110 times
Been liked: 56 times

Post by Rem700 » Mon Sep 24, 2018 2:00 pm

I keep mine in my shop freezer. Never had an issue, even with the cheap Amazon brand batteries

Toecutter1978
KAC Member
KAC Member
Has liked: 0
Been liked: 14 times

Post by Toecutter1978 » Wed Sep 26, 2018 7:19 am

Rem700 wrote:I keep mine in my shop freezer. Never had an issue, even with the cheap Amazon brand batteries
You have success with those batteries? I have been skeptical due to the quality of other azon branded items.

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

BIGC

Post by BIGC » Wed Sep 26, 2018 9:10 am

Toecutter1978 wrote:
Rem700 wrote:I keep mine in my shop freezer. Never had an issue, even with the cheap Amazon brand batteries
You have success with those batteries? I have been skeptical due to the quality of other azon branded items.

Wranglerstar (sp?) on YouTube seems to think the amazon batteries are made by eneloop, I haven't tried them yet but I'm thinking about ordering some.

WLJ
KAC Member
KAC Member

Post by WLJ » Wed Sep 26, 2018 9:16 am

Eneloops are Sanyo which is ownd by panasonic if I recall right

Rem700
KAC Member
KAC Member
Has liked: 110 times
Been liked: 56 times

Post by Rem700 » Wed Sep 26, 2018 10:26 am

Toecutter1978 wrote:

Normally i would agree with you, the amazon brand stuff is generally crap. But i bought some AAA and some AA of their brand of batteries about a year ago and have had zero problems. I throw them in the freezer and pull some out when needed and they work. Have not noticed having to change batteries out either, so they are still working.

BIGC

Post by BIGC » Wed Sep 26, 2018 12:02 pm

I ordered a couple different battery storage solutions from Amazon to try out but I just got a notification that the package was damaged in shipment and that they refunded my money if I would like to reorder and try again......

jackalo626
Global Mod
Global Mod
Has liked: 20 times
Been liked: 22 times

Post by jackalo626 » Wed Sep 26, 2018 12:54 pm

Never had any do that except when in my Howard Leight ear pro. They always bust and corrode regardless brand. I buy aaa and aa batteries in bulk (usually duracell) off amazon from reputable places and they are in a bedroom drawer and no issues like that.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

BIGC

Post by BIGC » Wed Sep 26, 2018 2:08 pm

jackalo626 wrote:Never had any do that except when in my Howard Leight ear pro. They always bust and corrode regardless brand. I buy aaa and aa batteries in bulk (usually duracell) off amazon from reputable places and they are in a bedroom drawer and no issues like that.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

All of my batteries came from lowes while I was working there. Since we got to see the sales before they came out I would watch for the good markdowns and stock up.

Return to “Survival/Bushcraft”