Hog hunt. Go

Like to live in the wilds, or just camp? This is the board for you. All things survival and bushcraft related here.
Whootsinator
Little Butthole
Has liked: 0
Been liked: 0

Re: Hog hunt. Go

Post by Whootsinator » Mon Nov 24, 2014 4:30 pm

Yep, if it's day hunting things get a lot simpler. Take whatever you can find good ammo for and be done.
"I don't retreat; I kick ass in the other direction."

bigelowe
KAC Member
KAC Member
Has liked: 1 time

Post by bigelowe » Mon Nov 24, 2014 7:30 pm

uncle in florida use to use 30-30 from a platform on swamp buggy until he got introduced to 30-06 while up here in ky hunting deer . bought his own 30-06 after that hunt and never looked back. use the 7mm and remove most of the doubt for 0ne shot kills.
Not everyone can be a winner or get a trophy, we are raising a society full of pu**ies

2nd place is the 1st place loser.

Currently looking for that unicorn.

guncrank1
KAC Member
KAC Member
Has liked: 3 times
Been liked: 15 times

Post by guncrank1 » Mon Nov 24, 2014 7:53 pm

Yeah like I said feral hogs are varmints , that happen to make fine sausage and delicious tender loins.
If you can eat em, do if you shoot them and not a major problem.

We introduced them to the nature and we need to take care if iur problem.

Did I mention love pork? , trouble is that Mrs Cranky says it is bad for my gote.

Fate0n3

Post by Fate0n3 » Tue Nov 25, 2014 10:14 pm

You guys are killing me i have been wanting to hunt hog for almost two years and this thread has me talked into it. In KY where are some good places id any to go? Seems like info online is really sketchy. Equipment wise i am good with everything minus NV.

baknblack

Post by baknblack » Tue Nov 25, 2014 10:30 pm

Fate0n3 wrote:You guys are killing me i have been wanting to hunt hog for almost two years and this thread has me talked into it. In KY where are some good places id any to go? Seems like info online is really sketchy. Equipment wise i am good with everything minus NV.
They are pretty thick around Lockport, KY up and around 6 mile Creek. Getting permission to hunt up in that area I wouldn't have a clue. Drive up that way and stop at the local store and ask the owner there if he could point you to somewhere you might hunt hogs. That's what I would do if I wanted to kill a pig.

Sent from my EVO using Tapatalk

son of liberty
KAC Member
KAC Member

Post by son of liberty » Tue Nov 25, 2014 10:56 pm

baknblack wrote:
Fate0n3 wrote:You guys are killing me i have been wanting to hunt hog for almost two years and this thread has me talked into it. In KY where are some good places id any to go? Seems like info online is really sketchy. Equipment wise i am good with everything minus NV.
They are pretty thick around Lockport, KY up and around 6 mile Creek. Getting permission to hunt up in that area I wouldn't have a clue. Drive up that way and stop at the local store and ask the owner there if he could point you to somewhere you might hunt hogs. That's what I would do if I wanted to kill a pig.

Good Luck with that! You got to know someone, I have a bunch of buddies in lockport and getting permission to hunt down there is as hard as walking up to some random farm and asking. Give it a few years when the hogs become a real big problem, but as of now ...... they all look like bacon.

shelbygoat
KAC Member
KAC Member

Post by shelbygoat » Tue Nov 25, 2014 11:00 pm

I'm starting to get into the hog hunting game out here. Working on contacts right now. Now just need an IR laser device for the AR and I'll be set.

baknblack

Post by baknblack » Wed Nov 26, 2014 6:27 am

son of liberty wrote:
baknblack wrote:

Good Luck with that! You got to know someone, I have a bunch of buddies in lockport and getting permission to hunt down there is as hard as walking up to some random farm and asking. Give it a few years when the hogs become a real big problem, but as of now ...... they all look like bacon.
I do know a few people up that way. I spent all my young life in Henry County. Haven't tried to get permission to hog hunt though. Barely got time to deer hunt. I know of one fellow that is trapping some for the state.

guncrank1
KAC Member
KAC Member

Post by guncrank1 » Wed Nov 26, 2014 2:31 pm

My dad and brother got premision to hunt hogs at Bierhham Forest , a,couple of times.

baknblack

Post by baknblack » Wed Nov 26, 2014 2:59 pm

guncrank1 wrote:My dad and brother got premision to hunt hogs at Bierhham Forest , a,couple of times.
They see any?

guncrank1
KAC Member
KAC Member

Post by guncrank1 » Wed Nov 26, 2014 3:03 pm

:lol:
baknblack wrote:
guncrank1 wrote:My dad and brother got premision to hunt hogs at Bierhham Forest , a,couple of times.
They see any?

That was a couple of years ago and they saw damage but no hogs.
They killed more hogs in Trigg county than around here.

george

Post by george » Wed Dec 17, 2014 7:56 am

I have bought and slaughtered many pigs in my day and I quit shooting them between the eyes with a 22 long rifle because I have had 2 occasions the bullet bounced off the skull. I now use a 22 wmr angled behind the ear.

george

Post by george » Wed Dec 17, 2014 7:57 am

You will never respectfully understand how tough a hog is until you have hung one up and quartered it. Their hide is very tough and thick and you will dull knives quickly

guncrank1
KAC Member
KAC Member

Post by guncrank1 » Wed Dec 17, 2014 8:52 am

This will kill any hog alive feral or domestic.
And the pole axe it projects and the shells that power it.
Attachments
image.jpg
image.jpg

Rem700
KAC Member
KAC Member
Has liked: 109 times
Been liked: 55 times

Post by Rem700 » Wed Dec 17, 2014 9:10 am

son of liberty wrote:
baknblack wrote:

Lol exactly. I went hunting near Lockport this year and stopped in lockport for gas.....dude at the store wouldnt even look at me let alone talk to me. Took him 5 mins to ring up $10 in gas. I dont get why you would be a dick to someone you dont know that is trying to pay you, but thats the locals for ya. My hunting spot has feral hogs on it. The guy i went with has killed some but says there are a bunch around.

baknblack

Post by baknblack » Wed Dec 17, 2014 1:29 pm

Rem700 wrote:
son of liberty wrote:
baknblack wrote:

Lol exactly. I went hunting near Lockport this year and stopped in lockport for gas.....dude at the store wouldnt even look at me let alone talk to me. Took him 5 mins to ring up $10 in gas. I dont get why you would be a dick to someone you dont know that is trying to pay you, but thats the locals for ya. My hunting spot has feral hogs on it. The guy i went with has killed some but says there are a bunch around.
I know the guy that runs that store. It's not just you. Damn near anyone has to force a conversation out of him. I've only seen him once in the last 20 yrs. When younger we were friends but, not close. I stopped by there a few years ago and could barely get him to speak to me.

george

Post by george » Thu Dec 18, 2014 9:28 am

I've hunted the wma in Lockport multiple times this year and never saw a hog

Rem700
KAC Member
KAC Member
Has liked: 109 times
Been liked: 55 times

Post by Rem700 » Thu Dec 18, 2014 11:10 am

george wrote:I've hunted the wma in Lockport multiple times this year and never saw a hog
Did you harvest anything?

baknblack

Post by baknblack » Fri Dec 19, 2014 10:42 am

For anyone that doesn't keep up with such things. F&W is having a quota hunt on the Kentucky River WMA the first weekend of November. I'd like to get a chance at the new 1000 acre Boone tract. But, will go where I get sent if drawn.

Return to “Survival/Bushcraft”