Light weight sleeping bag

Like to live in the wilds, or just camp? This is the board for you. All things survival and bushcraft related here.
Dashammer
Has liked: 0
Been liked: 0

Post by Dashammer » Tue Oct 14, 2014 4:05 am

Any body have experience with the military issue patrol bag. I have the Gortex bivy and was wondering and what if anything do you all use in conjunction with it, poncho liner, wool blanket, patrol bag and so on and so forth. About got my light weight 100 mile kit together all LBE based. So what is your 100 mile kit look like.

ssracer
KAC Member
KAC Member
Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 55 times

Re: Light weight sleeping bag

Post by ssracer » Tue Oct 14, 2014 9:41 am

I have the whole military sleep system. Bivy, patrol bag, heavy bag and compression sack. I just take whatever parts i need depending on what I'm doing

Toecutter1978
KAC Member
KAC Member
Been liked: 14 times

Post by Toecutter1978 » Tue Oct 14, 2014 9:45 am

I have plenty of experience with the patrol bag. Enough to tell you it's heavy, and bulky. It's a great mummy sack, but there are others on the market that are smaller, warmer and snap right in the gortex outer shell. The three piece setup takes up a bunch of room in the ruck, to help offset this, a better compression sack can be utilized. Also, don't leave your bags stuffed in the compression sacks, it breaks down the fill faster and they do not keep the warmth in as well. I have mine laid out under our bed to be able to breath and not become flat.

Aloha Snack-bar!!!

justang1997
KAC Member
KAC Member

Post by justang1997 » Tue Oct 14, 2014 10:03 am

What's the weather going to be like on that 100 miles. My experience has been a good ground pad plus the gortex is fine for summer/fall. Just wear warm clothes to sleep in.
If it were winter I'd use the gortex with a snugpac bag and a poncho liner inside. Plus the ground pad.

Sent from my Q10 using Tapatalk 2

Frailer
KAC Member
KAC Member

Post by Frailer » Tue Oct 14, 2014 10:17 am

I hated that damn GoreTex bivy bag; felt like I was sleeping in a garbage bag. 90% of the time I used a sleeping mat and the green inner bag.

Whootsinator
Little Butthole

Post by Whootsinator » Tue Oct 14, 2014 11:47 am

Personally I would look at civilian bags and not limit myself to the military sleep system.
"I don't retreat; I kick ass in the other direction."

Toecutter1978
KAC Member
KAC Member

Post by Toecutter1978 » Tue Oct 14, 2014 12:32 pm

REI has a bunch of great bags on their outlet store.

Aloha Snack-bar!!!

ssracer
KAC Member
KAC Member
Been liked: 55 times

Post by ssracer » Tue Oct 14, 2014 12:49 pm

Whootsinator wrote:Personally I would look at civilian bags and not limit myself to the military sleep system.
This...lots of good options out there. The main reason I went with the mil system is because me and two buddies got three sets in very good shape on eBay pretty cheap...much cheaper than a good new civi bag. I don't use the compression sack it came with, I've got one that packs it down a lot smaller for my backpack. But it is definitely the heaviest single item in my pack.

Toecutter1978
KAC Member
KAC Member

Post by Toecutter1978 » Tue Oct 14, 2014 1:03 pm

http://www.steepandcheap.com

I check this site all the time for great deals on gear. They run one item till it's all gone. It gets stupid inexpensive sometimes.

Aloha Snack-bar!!!

Rescue9
Been liked: 4 times

Post by Rescue9 » Tue Oct 14, 2014 1:21 pm

As Toecutter mentioned, steepandcheap is a great site. You might also post to the backpackgearswap yahoo forum. Also, check the bag reviews on backpackgeartest.org prior to shopping around. I've done multiple reviews for them and have found that sometimes what you read in the magazines aren't exactly representative of the products actual rating.

Dashammer

Post by Dashammer » Wed Oct 15, 2014 5:21 am

Climate zone I am thinking is any where in the world except deep artic or really high alpine. What I have right now is bivy bag, no name el cheapo light weight sleeping bag, and a couple of mil-ponchos snaped together for over head cover. Useing natural on hand stuff for ground cover. The el-cheapo sleeping bag is just so dam big when rolled for transport. Bivy, and 2 ponchos rolled and stowed fit perfect under butt pack with alittle room to spare for a sleeping bag that will compress better. Right now I have too Roman roll bivy and sleeping bag over a shoulder.

Rescue9
Been liked: 4 times

Post by Rescue9 » Wed Oct 15, 2014 6:29 am

If you can keep it dry, down is definitely the way to go both for packability and warmth

Return to “Survival/Bushcraft”