Camping Thread

Like to live in the wilds, or just camp? This is the board for you. All things survival and bushcraft related here.
ChickenLady
KAC Member
KAC Member
Has liked: 0
Been liked: 0

Camping Thread

Post by ChickenLady » Thu Sep 04, 2014 11:27 am

My husband and I have recently started camping more. I figured I would start a thread about it and if anyone wants to join in on a planned trip I will post where we are, site we are at, and dates we are going. If any of you like camping and would like to join us come on down. We have a laundry list of places to go to here in KY that are less than 3 hrs away.

About our camping style:

We are car campers. Our tent weighs 75lbs, we aren't lugging that very far. We are pretty easy going and right now are hitting bodies of water in KY with boat ramps that are easily accesible. We have a 14' aluminium fishing boat so we are using that for recreation. (obviously)

We do have one kiddo that goes with us and 3 boxers. They are well behaved dogs.

Our next trip is being planned out now. We are torn between Zilpo @ Cave Run Lake or Rough River. It will be the weekend of the 26th.
Livewire wrote:CL, the most sought after chicken farming insurance agent in kentucky
Livewire wrote:You're cooking has bought you a team of body guards wiling to follow you around at school

Toddstang
Global Mod
Global Mod
Has liked: 145 times
Been liked: 98 times

Re: Camping Thread

Post by Toddstang » Thu Sep 04, 2014 11:49 am

Here is the link that you forgot to add;
http://higbee.cots.net/KCNR/

ChickenLady
KAC Member
KAC Member

Post by ChickenLady » Thu Sep 04, 2014 12:09 pm

Yeah ummm.... Yeah....
Livewire wrote:CL, the most sought after chicken farming insurance agent in kentucky
Livewire wrote:You're cooking has bought you a team of body guards wiling to follow you around at school

Toddstang
Global Mod
Global Mod
Has liked: 145 times
Been liked: 98 times

Post by Toddstang » Thu Sep 04, 2014 12:24 pm

Sammich, no shoes

Wyldman
KAC Member
KAC Member

Post by Wyldman » Thu Sep 04, 2014 12:25 pm

Rayray will get the sammiches! Now, woman! GO!
Last edited by Wyldman on Thu Sep 04, 2014 8:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.
IN GOD WE TRUST

"That boy's paradigm don't always add up to four nickels...."

Jakob
KAC Member
KAC Member

Post by Jakob » Thu Sep 04, 2014 6:03 pm

Careful when choosing Rough River sites. There are some REALLY bad ones, I know through experience. We've scouted out all of North Fork and about half of the other section.
Livewire wrote:I remember when this was a free country and not a fascist one filled with limp wristed, tender hearted, liver lipped bunch of whiny ass cry babies.

Mike
KAC Member
KAC Member
Been liked: 5 times

Post by Mike » Thu Sep 04, 2014 7:49 pm

Hmmm...Isn't that my off weekend???
:llama:

ChickenLady
KAC Member
KAC Member

Post by ChickenLady » Thu Sep 04, 2014 9:18 pm

Dunno... is it Mike

1fastmach1

Post by 1fastmach1 » Thu Sep 04, 2014 9:41 pm

I camped at nolin a few weeks back and had a nice site. Our site was right on the water less than 50ft away from our tent. Only problem was the slope to get down to the water. It wasn't that bad. We hung a poll with a laterrn on it halfway down. No problems.

ChickenLady
KAC Member
KAC Member

Post by ChickenLady » Tue Oct 21, 2014 9:45 am

This has taken me a while to get around to updating this thread. First up, two weekends ago we went to Zilpo out on Cave Run Lake. This is in Bath County, KY.

Let me start by saying this place is GORGEOUS. It's situated in the Daniel Boone National Forest north of Red River Gorge. The lake itself was clean and had some shallow areas that were well marked on the map the ranger station provides. The boat ramp we used was a two ramp launch system with a side tie up dock for your boats. The parking lot had spaces with enough room for a full size truck and average size boat trailer to park in each space at the ramp. Large turn around area and waiting area for the ramps as well.

The beaches are also SAND. Which make me and my child super excited. There are some rocks so don't expect FL or anything, but all the beaches are sand. Geologically this makes sense, but I won't bore you with the details.

The road up to the campsites is heavy in switchbacks and narrow. We did it at night during a rainstorm. Be aware that you are going UP the entire trip to the campgrounds. Some of the edges have safety rails while others... just don't get too close to the edge.

The campsite itself is divided into 6 I think seperate site areas. We used Loop H site 12. Primitive site with a dumpster directly across from our site. This was my choosing since I wanted to be able to immediatly throw away trash to stave off bears if there were any. (you are in bear country)
All the sites have a 12x12 or larger tent pad. We had more than enough space to back the boat in, park the Jeep, and have a camp area. All campsites are seperated so you are not right next to your neighbors. Know you'll hear them but at least you can talk about how much you hate them without them hearing lol

Every site comes with two lantern posts, your pad, fire rings with grill, and a sturdy picnic table. There were 4 water spigots in the loop we were in with potable water. The bathhouses were very clean and nice warm showers were welcome after a cold night.

We did not get to hiking on this trip, but there is a large expanse of hiking trails that we are def coming back for.

In all, this is my favorite campground in KY so far. I could spend a week here.. something we are planning out now :)

ChickenLady
KAC Member
KAC Member

Post by ChickenLady » Tue Oct 21, 2014 9:56 am

We did Green River SP for Labor Day weekend.

The lake itself is on the smaller side of lakes and our 14' aluminum boat was perfect for the water ways. There is one large dock for houseboats but the lake cannot accomodate a large number of boats so I wouldn't be too concerned with the houseboats on the water. The beaches were typical gravel that is seen in much of KY waterways. This lake has long shallow shorelines, just a note if you have a boat that is fiberglass. We didn't care in the aluminum boat. The boat ramp at the campsite is easily used and has a small turnaround. No parking. It is a one launch at a time ramp, no tie ups for boats.

The campsite run by the state is small. There is a RV/Camper side and a primitive side. We are tent campers so we stayed on the primitive side. There is NO privacy between sites. You are almost right on your neighbor, no shade, no tent pads, and no promise you will have a fire ring or grill. To compensate they have scattered a few camp grills around the campgrounds, but you will have to impose on somebodies site should you want to use it if the site is taken. Also note there is nowhere to park but the grass.

All the sites have a slope to them for the most part. The sites closer to the woods and the bathhouses are the most level. There is almost no shade at all sites. There is also no potable water available.

We chose a site right on the water. Which was nice because the kid did a ton of swimming and the dogs had instant access to water which they enjoyed. The shorelines were clean.

The bathhouse was kind of gross. It's outdated, which is normally not a issue, but the cleaning crew needed to hit it way more than what was done. I wouldn't go in without shoes on the walls and floors were slimy. The amount of people there using it was large, but it still shouldn't have been "don't dare touch anything" gross. Shower was hot though, that's a plus.

In all, I'd go back but its not high on my list.

Return to “Survival/Bushcraft”