Cheapest magnesium fire starters

Like to live in the wilds, or just camp? This is the board for you. All things survival and bushcraft related here.
justang1997
KAC Member
KAC Member
Has liked: 0
Been liked: 0

Cheapest magnesium fire starters

Post by justang1997 » Wed May 07, 2014 7:50 pm

I saw a boatload of magnesium firestarters at the Harbor Freight store on Hikes Ln. They were $3 and I'm sure there are discount coupons that could make them cheaper than that.

Sent from my Q10 using Tapatalk 2

RecoilSensitive
KAC Member
KAC Member
Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 2 times

Re: Cheapest magnesium fire starters

Post by RecoilSensitive » Thu May 22, 2014 10:55 pm

About every 5 months they run a coupon in the mailer and email for them to be free. I have prolly 10 I didnt pay a dime for. I have several of their screwdriver sets and flashlights too
"But now," he said, "take your money and a traveler's bag. And if you don't have a sword, sell your cloak and buy one" -Jesus (Luke 22:36 NLT)

BIGC
Has liked: 14 times
Been liked: 3 times

Post by BIGC » Fri May 23, 2014 6:51 am

I have bought a ton of their cheap mag blocks in the past. My only complaint is the cheap rod they attach to spark it after you shave the mag.... Anymore I just use them for the magnesium and then strike with one of my ferro rods..
1 Corinthians 13:13

And now these three remain: faith, hope and love. But the greatest of these is love.

http://stores.ebay.com/Big-Cs-Survival-Store?_rdc=1

KYgundude
KAC Member
KAC Member
Has liked: 90 times
Been liked: 72 times

Post by KYgundude » Fri May 23, 2014 8:29 am

BIGC wrote:I have bought a ton of their cheap mag blocks in the past. My only complaint is the cheap rod they attach to spark it after you shave the mag.... Anymore I just use them for the magnesium and then strike with one of my ferro rods..

Is a "fero" rod the rod with my Kershaw fire starter? It's just a striker and a metal rod.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk 2

BIGC
Has liked: 14 times
Been liked: 3 times

Post by BIGC » Fri May 23, 2014 8:52 am

KYgundude wrote:
BIGC wrote:I have bought a ton of their cheap mag blocks in the past. My only complaint is the cheap rod they attach to spark it after you shave the mag.... Anymore I just use them for the magnesium and then strike with one of my ferro rods..

Is a "fero" rod the rod with my Kershaw fire starter? It's just a striker and a metal rod.

Probably.. Just a very hot sparking rod, i like fero rods better than most of the other strike style starters
1 Corinthians 13:13

And now these three remain: faith, hope and love. But the greatest of these is love.

http://stores.ebay.com/Big-Cs-Survival-Store?_rdc=1

KYgundude
KAC Member
KAC Member

Post by KYgundude » Fri May 23, 2014 9:14 am

BIGC wrote:
KYgundude wrote:

Probably.. Just a very hot sparking rod, i like fero rods better than most of the other strike style starters
would the rod on the striker I have be suitable for igniting magnesium?

justang1997
KAC Member
KAC Member
Has liked: 0
Been liked: 0

Post by justang1997 » Fri May 23, 2014 9:22 am

KYgundude wrote:

Probably.

Sent from my Q10 using Tapatalk 2

KYgundude
KAC Member
KAC Member

Post by KYgundude » Fri May 23, 2014 9:30 am

Thanks guys. Gonna pick up a couple of those.. Magnesium probably works better then dryer lint

Return to “Survival/Bushcraft”