Egg Hatch Thread

Like to live in the wilds, or just camp? This is the board for you. All things survival and bushcraft related here.
JustShootIt
Founding Father
Founding Father
Has liked: 3 times
Been liked: 0

Egg Hatch Thread

Post by JustShootIt » Fri Jan 17, 2014 4:11 am

Decided to try my hand at hatching some of my chicken eggs. I threw together an incubator using a wood ammo crate I had laying in the shop. Nothing fancy....guess I'll find out in about 21 days how well it works, lol........

Started incubating these eggs on 1-15-2013

Let the waiting begin.....
"All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing."(Edmund Burke)

ChickenLady
KAC Member
KAC Member
Has liked: 0

Re: Egg Hatch Thread

Post by ChickenLady » Fri Jan 17, 2014 9:07 am

Cute. I'm curious how well this will work.

Almost all incubators have insulation in them so this is interesting.

Watching.

Waiting.
Livewire wrote:CL, the most sought after chicken farming insurance agent in kentucky
Livewire wrote:You're cooking has bought you a team of body guards wiling to follow you around at school

Mike
KAC Member
KAC Member
Been liked: 5 times

Post by Mike » Fri Jan 17, 2014 10:01 am

Eggs??

:llama:

Rem700
KAC Member
KAC Member
Has liked: 110 times
Been liked: 56 times

Post by Rem700 » Fri Jan 17, 2014 10:03 am

Mutant chickens!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! RUNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNN!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

son of liberty
KAC Member
KAC Member

Post by son of liberty » Fri Jan 17, 2014 10:30 am

My chickens would eat the hell out of them baby snakes.

rustynuts
KAC Member
KAC Member
Has liked: 47 times
Been liked: 80 times

Post by rustynuts » Fri Jan 17, 2014 12:37 pm

Not baby snakes, that's a beardie. A lizard.

WLJ
KAC Member
KAC Member
Has liked: 11 times
Been liked: 110 times

Post by WLJ » Fri Jan 17, 2014 12:39 pm

Mike wrote:Eggs??

Image[/url]
Coming soon to a KFC near you and it even tastes like chicken!
There are criminals among us who are both homicidal and incorrigible. Their parents took a shot at civilizing them and failed. Their school teachers took a shot at them and failed. The odds are overwhelming that government welfare programs and penal institutions took a shot at them and failed. If it ever becomes your turn to take a shot at them, don’t fail.

JustShootIt
Founding Father
Founding Father

Post by JustShootIt » Fri Jan 17, 2014 4:15 pm

ChickenLady wrote:Cute. I'm curious how well this will work.

Almost all incubators have insulation in them so this is interesting.

Watching.

Waiting.
Keyword....almost....

Lol

I have a sheet of insulation that I planned on using, but decided against it once I tested it out and it maintained a consistent temp without it...The wood actually absorbs the heat and seems to be working well (fingers crossed)....guess thats the main thing. Probably helps that its in a warm closet....

Already know a few things I'll change next go around...but that's what its all about...live, learn, trial and error.
"All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing."(Edmund Burke)

ChickenLady
KAC Member
KAC Member

Post by ChickenLady » Fri Jan 17, 2014 4:21 pm

I've been wanting to incubate for awhile. My problem is I won't be able to get a consistent all females product out of the deal lol
Livewire wrote:CL, the most sought after chicken farming insurance agent in kentucky
Livewire wrote:You're cooking has bought you a team of body guards wiling to follow you around at school

JustShootIt
Founding Father
Founding Father

Post by JustShootIt » Fri Jan 17, 2014 4:28 pm

son of liberty wrote:My chickens would eat the hell out of them baby snakes.

JustShootIt
Founding Father
Founding Father

Post by JustShootIt » Fri Jan 17, 2014 5:26 pm

Thought I would add:

Bulbs pictured are 50 watts each.

Not shown in above picture, but I did close off the cracks in the lid with duct tape. Prior to doing so it was maintaining a temp of 90 degrees...Simply closing off cracks in lid had it staying at a consistent 100 degrees. As mentioned above, that's in a warm closet, next to utility room where the furnace is. Just turned the eggs and temp was just shy of 102 degrees. Cracked the lid open slightly and it's running exactly 100 degrees again. I plan to add a dimmer switch...this should make it easier to regulate.

Seems everyone that hatches (after talking to folks and reading tons of crap on interwebz) keeps their incubator at temps of 99.5-101.5....I decided to split the difference and try to keep mine at 100....

Livewire
Founding Father
Founding Father
Has liked: 11 times
Been liked: 19 times

Post by Livewire » Fri Jan 17, 2014 8:01 pm

Have you thought of adding a process thermostat to cycle your lamps off and on?

Would run the cost up of your incubator but would save some energy costs if you were planning on hatching on a regular basis.

Might save you time checking and regulating your temps if you want less maintenance on your project.

JustShootIt
Founding Father
Founding Father

Post by JustShootIt » Fri Jan 17, 2014 11:05 pm

Livewire wrote:Have you thought of adding a process thermostat to cycle your lamps off and on?

Would run the cost up of your incubator but would save some energy costs if you were planning on hatching on a regular basis.

Might save you time checking and regulating your temps if you want less maintenance on your project.
This is a cool idea....

I tried to come up with a way to incorporate a thermostat, but honestly didn't think of it from this angle.

Like I stated above....I thought about a dimmer switch....and I used a chain switch on one light so I could turn one off and leave other on.....

Basically threw this one together using stuff I had on hand and easy to grab out of the shop, lol. Figured I would throw one together and improve on it as I went along.

I'm thinking of building one out of a small/medium Coke fridge (with glass door....nice viewing glass) Or a med size dorm fridge that's no longer working. Use thermostat like you suggested, and install an auto turner....cheap and easy to make and I can use this old programmable timer I have.

Mike
KAC Member
KAC Member

Post by Mike » Fri Jan 17, 2014 11:11 pm

I have made incubators out off all sorts of things. My current one is a mini fridge that has been gutted. I have two feet of 12" heat tape in it hooked to a Helix DBS-1000 thermostat. I keep it set at 85 degrees. I also have two computer fans hooked up in there to circulate the air.

Some people put "heat sinks" by adding bottles of water to the bottom. That way when you open it it doesn't lose all the heat right away.

JustShootIt
Founding Father
Founding Father

Post by JustShootIt » Fri Jan 17, 2014 11:28 pm

Mike wrote:I have made incubators out off all sorts of things. My current one is a mini fridge that has been gutted. I have two feet of 12" heat tape in it hooked to a Helix DBS-1000 thermostat. I keep it set at 85 degrees. I also have two computer fans hooked up in there to circulate the air.

Some people put "heat sinks" by adding bottles of water to the bottom. That way when you open it it doesn't lose all the heat right away.

Do you think the heat tape(s) you have could/would maintain temp of 100 degrees?

Do you leave fans running at all times or do they cut out via thermostat?

I've seen people use heating pads...but for some reason I don't trust them enough....Heat tape is something I haven't thought of or seen used for chicken eggs....Might be worth a try.

JustShootIt
Founding Father
Founding Father

Post by JustShootIt » Sat Jan 18, 2014 8:12 pm

Pics aren't real clear, but I candled a few eggs tonight (day 3) to see what they looked like. Showing signs of development.

Red, spider like veins, means they are developing

Egg pictured is white egg from a Leghorn

Next
KAC Member
KAC Member
Has liked: 8 times
Been liked: 43 times

Post by Next » Sat Jan 18, 2014 8:34 pm

I would love to do Quail and then release them on our farm, but I keep hearing they won't survive.

JustShootIt
Founding Father
Founding Father

Post by JustShootIt » Sat Jan 18, 2014 9:09 pm

Next wrote:I would love to do Quail and then release them on our farm, but I keep hearing they won't survive.
We have raised a bunch of quail...hard to say for sure how many survive once released, but we have a bunch of now wild quail on our place.

My BIL is a pro....he was hatching several thousand a year. They do require some special care and facilities when kept captive...but pretty resilient once released.

Next
KAC Member
KAC Member
Has liked: 8 times
Been liked: 43 times

Post by Next » Sat Jan 18, 2014 10:18 pm

JustShootIt wrote:
Next wrote:I would love to do Quail and then release them on our farm, but I keep hearing they won't survive.
We have raised a bunch of quail...hard to say for sure how many survive once released, but we have a bunch of now wild quail on our place.

My BIL is a pro....he was hatching several thousand a year. They do require some special care and facilities when kept captive...but pretty resilient once released.

Where is the best place to get info on setting up everything and getting eggs etc? I am a rookie....

JustShootIt
Founding Father
Founding Father

Post by JustShootIt » Sat Jan 18, 2014 11:25 pm

Next wrote:
JustShootIt wrote:

Where is the best place to get info on setting up everything and getting eggs etc? I am a rookie....
I would be glad to put you in contact with my BIL...like I said, he's the expert.

My FIL and I had a small quail operation, but we didn't hatch them...just raised them in fly pens.

Fly pens are really a must IMO...but they can be easy to make. Raised floor in their pens is also needed. When young and in large groups, they susceptible to disease...All "birds" seem to be to an extent, but quail more so than others.

My BIL and his family still raise quail...they could hook you and give you much better info...

Mike
KAC Member
KAC Member

Post by Mike » Sun Jan 19, 2014 1:27 am

JustShootIt wrote:
Mike wrote:I have made incubators out off all sorts of things. My current one is a mini fridge that has been gutted. I have two feet of 12" heat tape in it hooked to a Helix DBS-1000 thermostat. I keep it set at 85 degrees. I also have two computer fans hooked up in there to circulate the air.

Do you think the heat tape(s) you have could/would maintain temp of 100 degrees?

I've seen people use heating pads...but for some reason I don't trust them enough....Heat tape is something I haven't thought of or seen used for chicken eggs....Might be worth a try.

Probably would work if you had enough of it in there. It keeps my incubator at 85 without even getting hot to the tough. I keep the thermostat temp sensor right there in my egg box usually. Makes it simple.

My fan are on non stop. They are small so not a lot going on with them.

JustShootIt
Founding Father
Founding Father

Post by JustShootIt » Sun Jan 19, 2014 1:31 am

Mike wrote:
JustShootIt wrote:

Probably would work if you had enough of it in there. It keeps my incubator at 85 without even getting hot to the tough. I keep the thermostat temp sensor right there in my egg box usually. Makes it simple.

My fan are on non stop. They are small so not a lot going on with them.
Thanks...

May get some heat tape to experiment with for next go around.

JustShootIt
Founding Father
Founding Father

Post by JustShootIt » Thu Jan 23, 2014 7:43 pm

Quick update...

The white eggs are easy to candle and see thru....the light Brown and dark brown are a little harder.

I can positively identify that at least half of them are "growing"

Pic isn't real clear, but if you look you can see some development ie some veins and dark stop that will eventually be the chick....

8 days down....13 to go....

JustShootIt
Founding Father
Founding Father

Post by JustShootIt » Tue Feb 04, 2014 12:08 am

Checking my eggs earlier today and the kids said they heard chirping...

Looked closer and sure enough, one egg had peeped and couple others were doing a lot of moving and rockin...

Its going on day 20, so we should have some chicks anytime....

(Knocks on wood)

Pic below....you can see peep on eggs #5

JustShootIt
Founding Father
Founding Father

Post by JustShootIt » Tue Feb 04, 2014 9:26 am

Chick #1 hatched sometime early this morn:

Return to “Survival/Bushcraft”