Backpack suggestions

Like to live in the wilds, or just camp? This is the board for you. All things survival and bushcraft related here.
Marcus
Founding Father
Founding Father
Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 63 times

Backpack suggestions

Post by Marcus » Mon Dec 02, 2013 9:47 pm

Ok gear monkeys, I'm looking for advice. I carry a backpack almost every day. It goes every where I go. It's primary function is a work bag. I carry a change of clothes (usually shoes included), toiletries, emergency kit (medicines, first aid, etc), often it has drinks and a days worth of food in it. It also has a couple nonfirearm weapons in it.
Now the humorous part, for the last 15 years, I have carried a LLBean backpack. It's not attention drawing, it's high quality, it's big enough for what I needed and I already owned it.
Finally, a couple of the zippers are getting cantankerous, its getting a little wore, it has too few compartments and it has my freaking name embroidered on it.
I looked at replacing it with another LLBean product, which I'm not opposed to, but I'm really not that yuppie. So, what would be a suitable replacement that would fit my needs? I prefer a nontactical look, something that will last and do what I need it to do. I don't mind paying for quality, but I don't want to waste money or pay for "a name". Help me out!
Mandy wrote:I meant Marcus post, he's like ninja slicer, he's nice he's nice he's nice, ....SWISH... he cuts your effin head off ;)

Whootsinator
Little Butthole
Has liked: 0
Been liked: 0

Re: Backpack suggestions

Post by Whootsinator » Mon Dec 02, 2013 10:27 pm

Until midnight (unknown what time zone, so assume Eastern) REI gives you 30% off one item in your cart, including stuff from their outlet store. Head over there and pick up a decent daypack.

Outlet Daypacks:
http://www.rei.com/outlet/search/?cat=2 ... ADay+Packs

Regular REI Daypacks:
http://www.rei.com/search?page_size=29& ... Waistpacks

Nearly anything there will be the ultimate in blending in and if you make the right choice, maybe a medium sized internal frame hiking daypack or even 3-day pack, it will hold up to anything you throw at it from day-to-day.
"I don't retreat; I kick ass in the other direction."

Dave1965
KAC Member
KAC Member
Been liked: 23 times

Post by Dave1965 » Mon Dec 02, 2013 10:33 pm

Its gonna have to be BIG to carry your change of clothes and food :llama:

Whootsinator
Little Butthole

Post by Whootsinator » Mon Dec 02, 2013 10:34 pm

I'm a fan of Mountain Hardwear. Though I haven't used their packs I like the looks of this one as an every-day pack. Looks to have plenty of space and organization without being cumbersome, and isn't in cool-guy Kryptek or dick-licker teal.

http://www.rei.com/product/863975/mount ... 3-closeout

Marcus
Founding Father
Founding Father

Post by Marcus » Mon Dec 02, 2013 10:46 pm

I like the looks of that mountain hardware one.

I'm looking at this one too: http://m.llbean.com/llbean/product.html#79241
Mandy wrote:I meant Marcus post, he's like ninja slicer, he's nice he's nice he's nice, ....SWISH... he cuts your effin head off ;)

Whootsinator
Little Butthole

Post by Whootsinator » Mon Dec 02, 2013 10:49 pm

That one shows 'Not Available' for me, but it looks like a functional pack... ALICE's little brother.

Frailer
KAC Member
KAC Member

Post by Frailer » Mon Dec 02, 2013 11:01 pm

I, too, carry a daypack every day, and I've spent 30 years looking for the perfect model--without success.

Believe it or not, the closest I've come is a freebie that was given to me as an Army promotional item. I have no idea who made it (probably Chinese slave labor), but it has put up with seven years of moderate abuse so far. It is starting to show wear, though, and I'm leaning toward doing what this guy did:

http://sustainingliberty.com/2012/06/09 ... ator-pack/

Whootsinator
Little Butthole

Post by Whootsinator » Mon Dec 02, 2013 11:21 pm

I really dig the Urban Operator Pack, and would have recommended it if I could find it in inconspicuous colors. All I found was multicam, ranger green, and coyote brown.

Marcus
Founding Father
Founding Father

Post by Marcus » Mon Dec 02, 2013 11:42 pm

Digging that tactical tailor urban operator too. Trying to decide if its worth double what I'd pay for the other ones I've liked. I'd definitely prefer no Velcro and would have to get the black.

86 slo-vo
KAC Member
KAC Member

Post by 86 slo-vo » Mon Dec 02, 2013 11:47 pm

My current EDC pack is a maxpedition Sitka, probably too small for your needs but they make one bigger.

Mine is black and doesn't look too tactical. Worth looking into.
Marcus wrote:KAC, marrying above their league since 2012.

Whootsinator
Little Butthole

Post by Whootsinator » Mon Dec 02, 2013 11:54 pm

Velcro is easy enough to remove.

Toecutter1978
KAC Member
KAC Member
Been liked: 14 times

Post by Toecutter1978 » Tue Dec 03, 2013 5:36 am

Tactical tailor equipment is top notch, only a very small amount of companies can outperform the quality. It does come with a price however. Used their gear while active. That pack is great, seen one firsthand from a bud. He used it for all sorts of stuff, and school too. I've been eyeing one for myself and I think the lady might have one under the Christmas tree for me( fingers crossed!!)

richief
Has liked: 2 times
Been liked: 1 time

Post by richief » Tue Dec 03, 2013 2:10 pm

I got the US Marines, Marpat, Arcteryx packs that are being sold surplus currently. Both large and 3 day, good quality. hey if everyone sported marpat it would be inconspicuous, right? lol

Marcus
Founding Father
Founding Father

Post by Marcus » Tue Dec 03, 2013 3:00 pm

Good thinking richief!

That pack is a little too high speed for me, but I do like it.

The LLBean packs are all made in Vietnam and China. The Tactical Tailor is made right here in the USA.

Whootsinator
Little Butthole

Post by Whootsinator » Tue Dec 03, 2013 3:05 pm

Really? I thought LLBean was still US made for some reason... shame.

I wouldn't mind picking up an ILBE pack. Arcteryx-designed, Propper-built. Plenty of molle though, so not very discreet.

Marcus
Founding Father
Founding Father

Post by Marcus » Tue Dec 03, 2013 3:12 pm

The mountain hardware pack only says "imported". :-/

Toecutter1978
KAC Member
KAC Member
Been liked: 14 times

Post by Toecutter1978 » Tue Dec 03, 2013 3:22 pm

Whootsinator wrote:Really? I thought LLBean was still US made for some reason... shame.
I dated a woman that was(is still?)a quality control inspector for LL Bean. The facilities that she was over were in turkey. They fed, clothe the workers, and gave them a living wage and provided health care for them. If I can buy American I will, but if not, I look at how the company is on the human rights. Now I can't check everything, but word of mouth is good to know also.

Marcus
Founding Father
Founding Father

Post by Marcus » Tue Dec 03, 2013 3:32 pm

Toecutter1978 wrote:
Whootsinator wrote:Really? I thought LLBean was still US made for some reason... shame.
I dated a woman that was(is still?)a quality control inspector for LL Bean. The facilities that she was over were in turkey. They fed, clothe the workers, and gave them a living wage and provided health care for them. If I can buy American I will, but if not, I look at how the company is on the human rights. Now I can't check everything, but word of mouth is good to know also.
True. Appreciate the info.

justang1997
KAC Member
KAC Member

Post by justang1997 » Tue Dec 03, 2013 7:10 pm

I was under the impression the ll bean bags had lifetime unconditional warrenty. You just return it and they send you a new one.

Now Yall can laugh if you want but I like the walmart "outdoor" brand bags. They are cheap and durable. No one will want to steal it. AND they have unconditional replacement for the life of the pack. Even if you bought it back in 1982.

Sent from my Q10 using Tapatalk 2

JustShootIt
Founding Father
Founding Father
Has liked: 3 times

Post by JustShootIt » Tue Dec 03, 2013 8:56 pm

justang1997 wrote:I was under the impression the ll bean bags had lifetime unconditional warrenty. You just return it and they send you a new one.

Now Yall can laugh if you want but I like the walmart "outdoor" brand bags. They are cheap and durable. No one will want to steal it. AND they have unconditional replacement for the life of the pack. Even if you bought it back in 1982.

Sent from my Q10 using Tapatalk 2
I got a camo one I bought years ago that I throw misc hunting stuff...don't use it everyday, but had it a while and couldn't ask for more out of a cheap pack.....zippers are a small issue from time to time...but it hasn't ripped or torn...in fact I used this week on my trip up north....had it shoved full of clothes and crap...

But, the bag I carry daily...ie...my Fag bag...is one I got from shelbygoat a couple/few years ago....I believe he got it from the PX...and I think I gave him $40/50 bucks for it new....it's a "bug out gear" brand but very ordinary looking...solid black, several pockets and compartments...I've carried it daily since buying it...and it's loaded to the max, weighs a ton...zippers are tough, has heavy straps...far from tactical tailor or ll bean I'm sure, but well worth the money.
"All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing."(Edmund Burke)

Marcus
Founding Father
Founding Father

Post by Marcus » Tue Dec 03, 2013 9:45 pm

Ugh. LLBean has $10 off, $10 gift certificate with purchase and I found a 15% off coupon.

Any other ideas? American made preferred.

Marcus
Founding Father
Founding Father

Post by Marcus » Wed Dec 04, 2013 8:04 am

I'm liking this one too. With the 20% off it's about the same price as the tactical tailor. It doesn't scream tactical, but it talks it pretty loudly.

http://www.mountainridgegear.com/mrg-alpha-pack/

GPtuners
KAC Member
KAC Member

Post by GPtuners » Thu Dec 05, 2013 4:49 pm

Okay, since no one has mentioned GoRuck, I am now. Their rucks are the shit, so I think their "lesser" backpacks would be equally awesome. No MOLLE though. ;)

Check the Shadow Ruck series.... that is actually affordable compared to their rucks.

http://www.goruck.com/en/shadow-rucks

Marcus
Founding Father
Founding Father

Post by Marcus » Thu Dec 05, 2013 5:26 pm

GPtuners wrote:Okay, since no one has mentioned GoRuck, I am now. Their rucks are the shit, so I think their "lesser" backpacks would be equally awesome. No MOLLE though. ;)

Check the Shadow Ruck series.... that is actually affordable compared to their rucks.

http://www.goruck.com/en/shadow-rucks
I do like the biggest one. The only things I can come up with to be concerned about are the lack of compartments and lack of "structure". Meaning they are designed to be rolled up and stuffed inside another bag. I would think it would be "saggy" if it wasn't filled.

But, for $70 and made in the USA, it may be my new front runner.

Return to “Survival/Bushcraft”