Chainsaws

Like to live in the wilds, or just camp? This is the board for you. All things survival and bushcraft related here.
Toddstang
Global Mod
Global Mod
Has liked: 147 times
Been liked: 102 times

Chainsaws

Post by Toddstang » Sat Nov 24, 2012 12:13 pm

Looks like I will be needing to invest in a chainsaw soon. I have a shit load of downed trees to cut up and move off some trails. I know very little about what to look for as far as size and brand to get.
Let me know what I should invest in.
Thanks!

Frailer
KAC Member
KAC Member
Has liked: 0
Been liked: 0

Re: Chainsaws

Post by Frailer » Sat Nov 24, 2012 1:53 pm

I'm a big Husqvarna fan. Second choice would be a Stihl--not because they're not as good, but they tend to be a bit pricier. I think Husky hits the peak of the price/value curve. Size depends on what you're cutting, but an 18" bar is a good compromise, as it's not too bulky for trimming work. If you're cutting big trees you'll want something longer.

ETA: be *CAREFUL* when using a chainsaw by yourself out in the woods. We heated with wood when I was a kid, so I've been using a chainsaw for decades, but I've still come close to hurting myself on one or more occasion. When you get tired you start rushing to get finished, and that's when the trouble starts. Take breaks, and *think* before you do anything remotely risky.

Not trying to lecture you--just sharing.

Toddstang
Global Mod
Global Mod
Has liked: 147 times
Been liked: 102 times

Post by Toddstang » Sat Nov 24, 2012 2:13 pm

Frailer wrote:I'm a big Husqvarna fan. Second choice would be a Stihl--not because they're not as good, but they tend to be a bit pricier. I think Husky hits the peak of the price/value curve. Size depends on what you're cutting, but an 18" bar is a good compromise, as it's not too bulky for trimming work. If you're cutting big trees you'll want something longer.

ETA: be *CAREFUL* when using a chainsaw by yourself out in the woods. We heated with wood when I was a kid, so I've been using a chainsaw for decades, but I've still come close to hurting myself on one or more occasion. When you get tired you start rushing to get finished, and that's when the trouble starts. Take breaks, and *think* before you do anything remotely risky.

Not trying to lecture you--just sharing.
Thanks Frailer!

Next
KAC Member
KAC Member
Has liked: 8 times
Been liked: 43 times

Post by Next » Sat Nov 24, 2012 3:08 pm

We have used Stihls for years they start in just a few pulls if you follow the steps. I like the 16 inch saws.

guncrank1
KAC Member
KAC Member
Has liked: 3 times
Been liked: 15 times

Post by guncrank1 » Sat Nov 24, 2012 5:09 pm

Toddstang wrote:Looks like I will be needing to invest in a chainsaw soon. I have a shit load of downed trees to cut up and move off some trails. I know very little about what to look for as far as size and brand to get.
Let me know what I should invest in.
Thanks!
Ha me too
As I am burnig wood now
To reduce electric heat bill
But then I am burning old pallets.

Shineybore
KAC Member
KAC Member
Has liked: 1 time

Post by Shineybore » Sat Nov 24, 2012 5:29 pm

Check pawn shops, I bought a Sthil months after the ice storm. It's a 16" bar, looked like it was used once. Came with a Sthil bar cover and 30 day warranty for $99.00 out the door. Best chainsaw I've ever had. I found mine at Cash America on Preston beside Fern Valley road.

Craftsman chainsaws used to be made by Poluan. Not sure if they still are or not. Had one of those and pulled my guts out everytime I tried to start it.

Rem700
KAC Member
KAC Member
Has liked: 112 times
Been liked: 57 times

Post by Rem700 » Sat Nov 24, 2012 5:37 pm

IMO thy are like gun safes....always buy bigger than u think u will need. Stihl would be my choice, but huscaverna(sp?) is good as well.

son of liberty
KAC Member
KAC Member

Post by son of liberty » Sat Nov 24, 2012 6:47 pm

Here is my .02 after 20 years in the treecare/logging industry. Get what you can get parts for! I have used plenty of saws that outcut a sthil but parts are so darn hard to find you may never get them.

Sthil makes a great saw, and parts are always easy to find.

Husky makes some good saws but they are hit or miss due to some of them being outsourced to other places. Some are junk in an orange case.

SOLO, DAMN GOOD SAWS, IMO they beat out nearly all others.

Echo makes a good saw as well.

There are a few Jap made and named saws that are very good as well but again think parts replacment.

Safety and all that crap, dumb asses get cut, dont be a dumb ass.

Keep the thing sharp, sharp saws cut better, sharp saws last longer, sharp saws stay cool, saws cut wood, not dirt, keep it out of the dirt.

Go to Beards in crestwood and see if they got any used sthil 026, 028, 036.

Rem700
KAC Member
KAC Member
Has liked: 112 times
Been liked: 57 times

Post by Rem700 » Sat Nov 24, 2012 7:13 pm

^^^^beards is GTG. My dad has been using hem for years and I have recently started as well.

JustShootIt
Founding Father
Founding Father
Has liked: 3 times

Post by JustShootIt » Sat Nov 24, 2012 9:25 pm

Stihl gets my vote.....I own alot of their equipment and had great luck with them

That said bigger doesn't =better IMO....clearing brush and laps a smaller saw is better. Running a saw all day isn't as easy as one might think. No matter big a fella you are you can get whooped quick.

I think a 16 in is a good general purpose saw to get.....
"All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing."(Edmund Burke)

mtmetzger
KAC Member
KAC Member

Post by mtmetzger » Sat Nov 24, 2012 10:25 pm

My vote is for Stihl too. I've got the smallest one they make just for around the yard and the small amount I burn in my fire pit. It's been great! I got it on my father's recommendation who was a logger for a good while back in the day. He said be sure you always run the stihl oil in it because it is the lifeblood of the saw.

Return to “Survival/Bushcraft”