Anyone using a tankless water heater???

Snakes, mowers, baseball cards, random stuff you want to offer up for sale or trade.... Put it here.
BK Meyers
KAC Member
KAC Member
Has liked: 0
Been liked: 0

Anyone using a tankless water heater???

Post by BK Meyers » Sun Feb 22, 2015 8:23 am

We're having some work done on our house and part of that is moving the water heater inside into the laundry room (it is currently in the garage).

A friend suggested a tankless water heater. Would definitely take up less space.

Anyone using one??

BK
God made man.
Samuel Colt made all men equal.
John M. Browning and the 1911 made some men more equal than others.

rustynuts
KAC Member
KAC Member
Has liked: 47 times
Been liked: 81 times

Re: Anyone using a tankless water heater???

Post by rustynuts » Sun Feb 22, 2015 9:37 am

Great question, since I'm in exactly the same situation except mine is in the kitchen now. Awaiting replies.

Dustin
KAC Member
KAC Member
Has liked: 4 times
Been liked: 40 times

Post by Dustin » Sun Feb 22, 2015 9:42 am

I have been wanting one so my wife will stop using all the hot water.
"What country can preserve its liberties if their rulers are not warned from time to time that their people preserve the spirit of resistance. Let them take arms." Thomas Jefferson

ssracer
KAC Member
KAC Member
Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 57 times

Post by ssracer » Sun Feb 22, 2015 9:48 am

Mine is also in the garage and I've thought about relocating it back to inside with a tankless. Interested to hear opinions

Niceguy
KAC Member
KAC Member
Has liked: 331 times
Been liked: 92 times

Post by Niceguy » Sun Feb 22, 2015 9:56 am

My mom's husband used to install them. He said they were definitely badass when I was asking about them, but I have no personal experience. I probably will when time comes for a new water heater though.

Robert Paulson
KAC Member
KAC Member

Post by Robert Paulson » Sun Feb 22, 2015 10:13 am

We have a very small electric one at the factory. It works well.

BK Meyers
KAC Member
KAC Member

Post by BK Meyers » Sun Feb 22, 2015 12:50 pm

Niceguy wrote:My mom's husband used to install them. He said they were definitely badass when I was asking about them, but I have no personal experience. I probably will when time comes for a new water heater though.
If you happen to talk to him could you ask about brands he preferred or recommended??

Unit would be going in a bi-level home. 2 adults, no children.

BK
God made man.

nemo
KAC Member
KAC Member
Has liked: 36 times
Been liked: 162 times

Post by nemo » Sun Feb 22, 2015 1:42 pm

I need to face that dilemma SOON! My water heater is 23 years old. I would love to go tankless to regain the floor space.
Oh, how so high they fly........ only further to fall.

-Life

Livewire
Founding Father
Founding Father
Has liked: 11 times
Been liked: 19 times

Post by Livewire » Sun Feb 22, 2015 2:50 pm

I looked into the propane ones a while back. I couldn't use one because it required a dedicated vent for the exhaust and couldn't be tied to the existing line for my furnace. I wasn't willing to put another vent through the ceiling so I nixed it.

I installed a small electric one at work under a kitchen sink and it wasn't that great. The water never really got warm it only knocked the chill off. The unit could have been undersized but it's what the rep recommended.

86 slo-vo
KAC Member
KAC Member

Post by 86 slo-vo » Sun Feb 22, 2015 3:05 pm

Haven't heard much good about them. Everyone I've came upon the owner has been pretty dissatisfied especially if they switched from a standard water heater.
Marcus wrote:KAC, marrying above their league since 2012.

BK Meyers
KAC Member
KAC Member

tankless

Post by BK Meyers » Sun Feb 22, 2015 3:33 pm

Check out a couple at Lowes just now. Looks like to install one will require a possible upgrade to our existing wiring/fuse panel due to current draw. Looks like without the proper current draw the unit will underperform as stated above. Will try to talk to an electrician and see what all is involved.

BK
God made man.

JustShootIt
Founding Father
Founding Father
Has liked: 3 times

Post by JustShootIt » Sun Feb 22, 2015 3:51 pm

"All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing."(Edmund Burke)

Wyldman
KAC Member
KAC Member

Post by Wyldman » Sun Feb 22, 2015 4:14 pm

Sportsman's Guide has them on sale in different sizes/capacities from time to time.
IN GOD WE TRUST

"That boy's paradigm don't always add up to four nickels...."

jackalo626
Global Mod
Global Mod
Has liked: 20 times
Been liked: 22 times

Post by jackalo626 » Sun Feb 22, 2015 6:38 pm

JustShootIt wrote:.
You don't say?

Niceguy
KAC Member
KAC Member
Has liked: 331 times
Been liked: 92 times

Post by Niceguy » Sun Feb 22, 2015 7:44 pm

jackalo626 wrote:
You don't say?
If nothing else, he gets to the point. haha

Gunsmokin
KAC Member
KAC Member
Been liked: 20 times

Post by Gunsmokin » Sun Feb 22, 2015 11:22 pm

Direct and to the point.
jackalo626 wrote:Skibble dee dibbledy

guncrank1
KAC Member
KAC Member
Has liked: 3 times
Been liked: 15 times

Post by guncrank1 » Mon Feb 23, 2015 1:58 am

My buddy has one , let me ask him

Rext
KAC Member
KAC Member

Post by Rext » Wed Feb 25, 2015 9:11 am

The problem with tankless water heaters is that you have to restrict the flow somewhat to be able to heat the water to the desired temp. Also the temperature rise and temperature fall is relevant to the flow. So just like with the tank type heater, you have to heat the water from say 50 degrees to 130 or more in the winter. Less in the summer. This means the tankless heater has the same amount of time with the same flow all year to achieve the same result. It might be great in the summer but not so great in the colder months because of the temperature rise. So now you have to think about flow/usage. Most of the heaters wont support multiple showers at the same time. Or washer,dishwasher,whatever? That's why they say a certain temp rise at a certain degree with so many GPM use. Its a delicate balance in most cases. Most of the time you use multiple heaters, not necessarily one to accommodate the flow/demand for hot water. They are usually pretty expensive and require their own vent and gas lines. Electric tankless water heaters use a shitload of power and some houses might not have enough amperage to run one. The small ones under the sink that operate just that opening have flow restrictors on the faucet usually cutting the water flow in half to give it time to heat. They can work for some people but not for most. They are generally found in Europe and Japan. I personally don't think you can beat the good old tank type heaters that hold a reserve of hot water. But, some may be happy with the tankless heaters,many are. You will get on average 10-12 years out of a tank type heater. I always think about replacement parts too. The tank type parts can usually be found anywhere. The tankless type you will have to order which means you will be without hot water at some point.
Some of you know I am a plumber as my "day job". We don't usually do many installations of tankless heaters although to be fair we primarily do commercial plumbing. But we have installed a few tankless heaters in restaurants before,some in houses. Hope this helps but do your own research.
Kentucky Firearms
Kentucky's class three dealer
..When you just want to shhhoot!

ssracer
KAC Member
KAC Member

Post by ssracer » Wed Feb 25, 2015 9:22 am

My biggest problem with a tank heater is whoever remodeled my house decades ago. They added an attached garage that has no direct access to the house and no insulation and then ran the water lines through the attic and put the water heater in the garage. Every issue I've had with the cold has been related to this. I've get everything wrapped, but it would be really nice to be able to go tankless and just mount a box on the wall by the furnace (where the water lines are and I'm guessing the water heater used to be) and eliminate all that.

Rem700
KAC Member
KAC Member
Has liked: 110 times
Been liked: 56 times

Post by Rem700 » Wed Feb 25, 2015 11:24 am

ssracer wrote:My biggest problem with a tank heater is whoever remodeled my house decades ago. They added an attached garage that has no direct access to the house and no insulation and then ran the water lines through the attic and put the water heater in the garage. Every issue I've had with the cold has been related to this. I've get everything wrapped, but it would be really nice to be able to go tankless and just mount a box on the wall by the furnace (where the water lines are and I'm guessing the water heater used to be) and eliminate all that.
Why not just move your water heater back inside?

ssracer
KAC Member
KAC Member

Post by ssracer » Wed Feb 25, 2015 11:45 am

Rem700 wrote:
ssracer wrote:My biggest problem with a tank heater is whoever remodeled my house decades ago. They added an attached garage that has no direct access to the house and no insulation and then ran the water lines through the attic and put the water heater in the garage. Every issue I've had with the cold has been related to this. I've get everything wrapped, but it would be really nice to be able to go tankless and just mount a box on the wall by the furnace (where the water lines are and I'm guessing the water heater used to be) and eliminate all that.
There's not a place for it. I'm guessing there used to be a closet that contained the water heater and washer/dryer. They are now out in the open in the kitchen so the only option would be to have the water heater sitting out in the open or lose space and box it all back in.

rustynuts
KAC Member
KAC Member
Has liked: 47 times
Been liked: 81 times

Post by rustynuts » Wed Feb 25, 2015 12:46 pm

ssracer wrote:
Rem700 wrote:
There's not a place for it. I'm guessing there used to be a closet that contained the water heater and washer/dryer. They are now out in the open in the kitchen so the only option would be to have the water heater sitting out in the open or lose space and box it all back in.
Given the poor performance of the tankless, I think I'm just going to box mine in, sort of a large broom closet open at the top for ventilation.

Return to “Everything else”