Looking for advice on short barreled AR9

SBR goes here. Have questions about trusts, gas systems, draco's, etc, ask away.
Deadwing
Has liked: 0
Been liked: 0

Looking for advice on short barreled AR9

Post by Deadwing » Fri Oct 21, 2016 2:39 am

Posted this on another kentucky forum but it didn't get much traction..so lets try again :)

Hey guys i've been building ARs for awhile, and I really like the platform. They're easy to build, accurate, mostly reliable and you can make them in almost any flavor. I've built uppers as short as 10.3" in 556 and 8.5" in 300BO. However even with an SBR, the OAL (overall length) is still fairly long, I mean hell a 16.5" tavor is the same length as my 10.3" AR SBR. I really want something that can easily pack up into something like a small backpack or could easily stow away in the truck.

With the suppressor on our 8.5" SBR the OAL is exactly 30" & 24" sans suppressor. Honestly I'm not sure why, but I expected that this 300 BO upper would be shorter than it is. With the suppressor on it's completely useless as a PDW, and even without the suppressor I still find myself wishing it was a shorter OAL even though it's an effective rifle round. In my opinion, in this situation, i would be better served moving down to a pistol round and gain portability and ultra compactness.

While this is awfully tiny in the world of ARs its big in terms of a PDW. I'm thinking the only way i can shorten the OAL while still using the AR platform is going to be a 9mm in the 3-5" barrel range, with some kind of folding stock system (yes even for the AR) like the law folder system.
http://www.lawtactical.com/ar_folding_s ... /99312.htm

heres kind of what I'm thinking

if my math is correct the OAL length on a setup like that very short barrel 9mm sbr would be 19.5"-21" with stock extended or roughly 13-15" with the stock folded. My question is, does anyone have experience with 9mm ARs? What types of magazines should I try and use? Glock, uzi, colt smg? Who makes good 9mm ar components? What type of buffer spring and buffer will i need for a 9mm? Will the buffer system have to change if it will see suppressed/unsuppressed use as well? I've got a pretty good idea of what I want to build, now I just need to figure out the logistics and which parts are going to make the best sense. Any input would be appreciated on this long term project. Am I wrong to consider the AR platform? Are they reliable when going to a super short 3" barrel? or are they just a range toy that's better left to the range? Would I be better off just moving to a different platform like a HK MP5 (semi) or other SMG? Just looking for suggestions and options. What do you guys use for truck guns if any at all?

For comparison the new CZ scorpion evo 3 SBR'd is 26.37 in with the stock unfolded, and 16.14 in with the stock folded. So quite a bit bigger even with the stock folded than the 9mm AR.
Sig's Mpx is really expensive, and the mags are hard as hell to find, and at 70$ a pop when you do find them it's a little painful. But wow.. the stock in my opinion is cool as hell. 18.1" with the stock retracted, 22.8" out.

And then theres LWRC's unicorn gun the SMG45

Probably the nicest of the AR pattern sub caliber guns I've seen, but after releasing the concept of it at shot in 2014 and then finally bringing one to shot 2015 it's still no where to be seen. But at 15" folded it's right there in running of ultra compact PDW's.
I've admittedly got very little time on SMG's, so any input would be appreciated.

Here's a 3" barrel + can. This obviously defeats the purpose of what I'm after as the can pictured adds like 11" lol. But i'm just assuming that you can go that short with a 9mm AR and have the gun still function reliably. Maybe he needs that big of a can to have enough back pressure to cycle?

Found this amazing 9mm SBR on ARF, not sure of it's specifics but it looks like it's maybe a 3-4" barrel and tucking a SilencerCo Omega 9k under the rail. While this is an amazing build, for my use I would still add the law folding stock if possible for storage. Probably the best pdw style build that that i've seen so far thats still using the AR platform and familiar controls. Can anyone tell what parts he's using?
Or am I over thinking it? FN already took a crack at this problem awhile ago, its called the P90 (no, not the PS90). At 19.9" in it's SBR form it's an amazing PDW system, but the armor defeating ammo is expensive and hard to find, and the neutered ammo is still expensive, but those 50 round mags are the tits.

Niceguy
KAC Member
KAC Member
Has liked: 327 times
Been liked: 92 times

Re: Looking for advice on short barreled AR9

Post by Niceguy » Fri Oct 21, 2016 3:44 am

If you want a 3-5" barrel, why not just sbr a Glock 19, 17, 34, 17L? Cheap, easy, reliable... Building an AR9 is expensive in comparison to your normal AR15 in 5.56/300blk. And tack another $200 for the folding stock adaptor and you're at the CZ/SIG 9mm carbine prices or higher now. I have a AR9 pistol with 10.5 barrel and it's definitely not small with my Octane 45 can. Or for that matter even without it. It is fun as hell though.
uploadfromtaptalk1477035466261.jpg

Deadwing

Post by Deadwing » Fri Oct 21, 2016 4:00 am

Niceguy wrote:If you want a 3-5" barrel, why not just sbr a Glock 19, 17, 34, 17L? Cheap, easy, reliable... Building an AR9 is expensive in comparison to your normal AR15 in 5.56/300blk. And tack another $200 for the folding stock adaptor and you're at the CZ/SIG 9mm carbine prices or higher now. I have a AR9 pistol with 10.5 barrel and it's definitely not small with my Octane 45 can. Or for that matter even without it. It is fun as hell though.
Screenshot_20161021-033314.png
This isn't for me. Its for my wife. Without being mean she can't shoot a pistol well at anything past say 4-5 yards lol... doesn't matter how much we shoot etc. Just got a bad case of the flinches lol. But no problems with the ARs we got. Familiar controls. Fun. Needs to be super compact because it'll travel with us, and i don't want a hassle or it'll never come with, small backpack or easily fold up in the truck. If you get toys, make em cool right? Will most likely get an Omega 9k to compliment this build for ultra compactness..

Awesome post though! I like the out of box thinking! Hadn't thought of a SBR g19. Another local friend mentioned a Keltec Sub2k with glock mags. And honestly if I didn't want a project gun, that'd be the one for THIS situation.

Deadwing

Post by Deadwing » Fri Oct 21, 2016 5:48 am

Seen these floating around at KYGUNCO my local cash black hole. Anyone know if that rail will tuck a Silencerco Omega 9k?

Stole these from Sully Photos On instragram. All photo credit goes to him... but here's a SUPER shorty sig. Looks great.

he's a bit of a showoff ;) but the one on the end, the super shorty with folding stock SBR is about the smallest PDW I've seen floating around the inter webs

ssracer
KAC Member
KAC Member
Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 55 times

Post by ssracer » Fri Oct 21, 2016 9:26 am

9mm ARs have been all the rage lately. A lot have been built on this forum. I love mine, but even as a pistol and not an SBR I could have bought and SBR'd a Scorpion for less than I have in it, but I wanted to use Glock mags.

KY Gunco was actually running a sale on the SIG SBRs for $1699 and they pay for your stamp. The advantage the SIG and Scorpion have over an AR pattern is that they can actually be used while the stock is folded.

I got to fondle that LWRC at the NRA show this year and fell in love. They are supposed to be somewhere above $2k and who knows when they will hit shelves.

This is the one I builtin it's current form. Wishing I had gone with a shorter barrel, but that may be an update in the future.
IMG_7504.JPG
IMG_7491.JPG

ssracer
KAC Member
KAC Member

Post by ssracer » Fri Oct 21, 2016 9:36 am

Just saw this on FB

Dave1965
KAC Member
KAC Member
Been liked: 23 times

Post by Dave1965 » Fri Oct 21, 2016 9:37 am

need a non-stock thingie for my scorpion

waiting on HK to re-release the SP94 or whatever they designate it.

samb.

Post by samb. » Fri Oct 21, 2016 10:15 am

Why not a pdw stock that uses your 9mm bcg and whatever small barrel you wanted? Wont be as small when collapsed but when firing will get you smallest possible in a standard ar platform. https://www.rainierarms.com/mvb-industr ... ition-ar15

son of liberty
KAC Member
KAC Member

Post by son of liberty » Fri Oct 21, 2016 5:09 pm

The handgun plaform is my vote as well. Dont think of it as a handgun, with a stock and forward drop grip its an Sbr with an exposed bolt. The benifit of 9mm is the mags can go in to the grip greatly reducing the length of the weapon.

Deadwing

Post by Deadwing » Fri Oct 21, 2016 8:07 pm

ssracer wrote:9mm ARs have been all the rage lately. A lot have been built on this forum. I love mine, but even as a pistol and not an SBR I could have bought and SBR'd a Scorpion for less than I have in it, but I wanted to use Glock mags.

KY Gunco was actually running a sale on the SIG SBRs for $1699 and they pay for your stamp. The advantage the SIG and Scorpion have over an AR pattern is that they can actually be used while the stock is folded.

I got to fondle that LWRC at the NRA show this year and fell in love. They are supposed to be somewhere above $2k and who knows when they will hit shelves.

This is the one I builtin it's current form. Wishing I had gone with a shorter barrel, but that may be an update in the future.
IMG_7504.JPG
IMG_7491.JPG
Adore that QC10 lower. How you liking it? Mags seat and eject easy? How's the bolt catch work? Love your build just want mine like 6-7" shorter and tucking a can. Thank you for posting. I might PM you for exact build sheet if you don't mind sharing :)
son of liberty wrote:The handgun plaform is my vote as well. Dont think of it as a handgun, with a stock and forward drop grip its an Sbr with an exposed bolt. The benifit of 9mm is the mags can go in to the grip greatly reducing the length of the weapon.
Bro you make sense. No doubt. You don't understand though. This isn't for me. Your logic doesn't work here :llama:

She will not be happy if I break out a 1xxx$ glock. No matter how nice. That's a "pistol" and she doesn't like pistols. It's gotta be a small lw carbine or might as well not do it.

Deadwing

Post by Deadwing » Fri Oct 21, 2016 8:15 pm

What your old lady don't pack a suppressed SMG? What's wrong with y'all?? ;P

ssracer
KAC Member
KAC Member

Post by ssracer » Fri Oct 21, 2016 9:12 pm

Deadwing wrote:
ssracer wrote:9mm ARs have been all the rage lately. A lot have been built on this forum. I love mine, but even as a pistol and not an SBR I could have bought and SBR'd a Scorpion for less than I have in it, but I wanted to use Glock mags.

IMG_7504.JPG
IMG_7491.JPG
Adore that QC10 lower. How you liking it? Mags seat and eject easy? How's the bolt catch work? Love your build just want mine like 6-7" shorter and tucking a can. Thank you for posting. I might PM you for exact build sheet if you don't mind sharing :)
son of liberty wrote:The handgun plaform is my vote as well. Dont think of it as a handgun, with a stock and forward drop grip its an Sbr with an exposed bolt. The benifit of 9mm is the mags can go in to the grip greatly reducing the length of the weapon.
Bro you make sense. No doubt. You don't understand though. This isn't for me. Your logic doesn't work here :llama:

She will not be happy if I break out a 1xxx$ glock. No matter how nice. That's a "pistol" and she doesn't like pistols. It's gotta be a small lw carbine or might as well not do it.
Mags eject fine. ETS and Glock factory mags were good with the bolt catch before adding the LAW adapter. Think the spacer in the bolt may have added too much weight, haven't had a chance to troubleshoot. Magpul mags never worked the bolt catch. Too weak of a spring I think.

Deadwing

Post by Deadwing » Fri Oct 21, 2016 9:21 pm

Thank you ssracer. What bolt and buffer system you using? Any problems shooting suppressed and then unsurprised on the same buffer? 115g-148/160s (subs) all run np? HPs cool?

Dave1965
KAC Member
KAC Member
Been liked: 23 times

Post by Dave1965 » Fri Oct 21, 2016 9:29 pm

Get your woman under control and back in the kitchen making you sammiches is what I say :)

ssracer
KAC Member
KAC Member

Post by ssracer » Fri Oct 21, 2016 9:29 pm

Haven't shot suppressed and I've only been running 115gr FMJ so far. No running issues.
I used the new frontier bolt. Had to have the weight in the end of it milled to accept the LAW spacer. Used a spikes stainless 9mm buffer that turned out to be too heavy and too long. Used my drill press to hollow it out to reduce weight and bench grinder to reduce the size of the bumper on the end. All of that was necessary to get the bolt catch to work.

Deadwing

Post by Deadwing » Sat Oct 22, 2016 4:41 am

Dave1965 wrote:Get your woman under control and back in the kitchen making you sammiches is what I say :)
maybe so

But sure sandwiches lol Love em
ssracer wrote:Haven't shot suppressed and I've only been running 115gr FMJ so far. No running issues.
I used the new frontier bolt. Had to have the weight in the end of it milled to accept the LAW spacer. Used a spikes stainless 9mm buffer that turned out to be too heavy and too long. Used my drill press to hollow it out to reduce weight and bench grinder to reduce the size of the bumper on the end. All of that was necessary to get the bolt catch to work.
Anyway now that we got THAT out the way lol. Thanks bro. Good post. I figured you was putting in some work to make the law work. How you liking the folder aspect? Does it lock solid in extended position (folded in fire mode) and also how easy is it to deploy from folded? Glad you've got it dialed in and working :)

Do you know of a side charger system that works with the qc10 stuff? At least they lower like urs + another brand upper/bcg system? I'll have to do some research. I'm just afraid your nose would constantly be smashed into a CH... Plus I've found the ch area leaks gas bad , and really bad when you add can. Not sure about in 9mms but in my other calibers at least
Last edited by Deadwing on Sat Oct 22, 2016 8:55 am, edited 1 time in total.

ssracer
KAC Member
KAC Member

Post by ssracer » Sat Oct 22, 2016 8:14 am

Deadwing wrote:
Dave1965 wrote:Get your woman under control and back in the kitchen making you sammiches is what I say :)
Just gonna take a shot in the dark here buuuut... I'm guessing that's why you not married, sleeping alone

Sure I gotta sacrifice a lil ( like a 9mm sbr is sacrifice!! Lol) but it's worth it to sleep next to a 23year old dime piece every night ;). Can you even remember what 20 year old pussy feels like Dave? :twisted:

But sure sandwiches lol. Love em
ssracer wrote:Haven't shot suppressed and I've only been running 115gr FMJ so far. No running issues.
Anyway now that we got THAT out the way lol. Thanks bro. Good post. I figured you was putting in some work to make the law work. How you liking the folder aspect? Does it lock solid in extended position (folded in fire mode) and also how easy is it to deploy from folded? Glad you've got it dialed in and working :)

Do you know of a side charger system that works with the qc10 stuff? At least they lower like urs + another brand upper/bcg system? I'll have to do some research. I'm just afraid your nose would constantly be smashed into a CH... Plus I've found the ch area leaks gas bad , and really bad when you add can. Not sure about in 9mms but in my other calibers at least
i have a can on my SBR...I know all about CH gas blowback. No can on the 9 and I haven't had any issues with the CH on it. There are a couple of guys on here that used side chargers on their 9s. None of them used the qc10 lower, but I don't see why they wouldn't work with it.

The LAW works great. It's solid as can be when extended for firing and plenty ridged when folded so it doesn't move. Easy to grab it and slap it into extended. And she whole thing fits in a backpack, which was my main reason for doing it.
IMG_3958.JPG

Deadwing

Post by Deadwing » Sat Oct 22, 2016 8:53 am

ssracer wrote:
Deadwing wrote:
Just gonna take a shot in the dark here buuuut... I'm guessing that's why you not married, sleeping alone

Sure I gotta sacrifice a lil ( like a 9mm sbr is sacrifice!! Lol) but it's worth it to sleep next to a 23year old dime piece every night ;). Can you even remember what 20 year old pussy feels like Dave? :twisted:

But sure sandwiches lol. Love em

i have a can on my SBR...I know all about CH gas blowback. No can on the 9 and I haven't had any issues with the CH on it. There are a couple of guys on here that used side chargers on their 9s. None of them used the qc10 lower, but I don't see why they wouldn't work with it.

The LAW works great. It's solid as can be when extended for firing and plenty ridged when folded so it doesn't move. Easy to grab it and slap it into extended. And she whole thing fits in a backpack, which was my main reason for doing it.
IMG_3958.JPG
Awesome man. Sorry for all the ?'s but I'd rather ask guys who's running them then people who are just speculating lol. Looks like I'll be picking up a LAW soon it seems :)

Return to “Short-barreled Rifles”