Future SBR project / technical question

SBR goes here. Have questions about trusts, gas systems, draco's, etc, ask away.
Gunsmokin
KAC Member
KAC Member
Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 20 times

Future SBR project / technical question

Post by Gunsmokin » Sat May 14, 2016 11:44 am

My intention is to do a form 1 sbr with a sig 556 style weapon. I currently own a sig 556 classic swat rifle that I originally considered as the base for the sbr project. However, after a fair amount of research I am considering a couple different avenues to bring the project to fruition. The list is in no particular order, just possible routes.

1. Find short barrel and associated parts to convert the Classic Swat to a SBR. My initial searches of the inter webs have not been too promising as far as an available supplier of spare Sig parts.

2. Purchase a Sig 556 pistol, submit form 1, purchase a buttstock adapter after stamp approved. Add buttstock to pistol. Voila, sbr. The new 556xi pistols get wildly varying reviews, so I want to steer away from this and stay with the older 556 version, like my carbine.

C. Purchase a significantly more expensive, yet more desirable, 553 pistol, submit form 1, add buttstock. SBR. This is very high on my wish list. It's expensive, but, not any more so that an MP5 clone. And, it's a 556. It would be something that isn't on every table at the range and damn, it's just cool as hell. My way of thinking about this is quality over quantity. The following is where I get stuck with regards to the 553. I guess it should stop me from purchasing the weapon, since it is obviously legal to sell/possess.

The question I have is mainly about the 553 route. Being a 100% Swiss made weapon, I have questions about 922r compliance. Do I need to swap out a bunch of the Swiss parts for American parts to make the SBR 922r compliant? If it needs the American parts, I have the 556 Classic Swat that could possibly be used as the donor, as I think many of the parts are interchangeable. I have read several threads on other forums and have found that there are as many opinions about 922r compliance relating to the 553 as there are colors in a rainbow. According to several of the responses I have read elsewhere, getting a definitive written response from the ATF is unlikely. Also, it appears they're not super responsive when it comes to written questions/answers. One I read took 22 months and didn't unambiguously answer the question.

Examples of the different weapon configurations.

553 pistol

553 SBR

556 Swat Pistol
jackalo626 wrote:Skibble dee dibbledy

Gunsmokin
KAC Member
KAC Member
Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 20 times

Re: Future SBR project / technical question

Post by Gunsmokin » Sat May 14, 2016 11:46 am

Sig 556 Swat SBR

jackalo626 wrote:Skibble dee dibbledy

guncrank1
KAC Member
KAC Member
Has liked: 3 times
Been liked: 15 times

Re: Future SBR project / technical question

Post by guncrank1 » Sun May 15, 2016 4:13 pm

Get the pistol and put a stock on it, that one with the most expense.
You can fart around with the other two but I think you would've better off and satisfied with that one.

Return to “Short-barreled Rifles”