ATF to streamline SBR process?

SBR goes here. Have questions about trusts, gas systems, draco's, etc, ask away.
fromkentucky
Has liked: 0
Been liked: 0

Re: ATF to streamline SBR process?

Post by fromkentucky » Wed Jul 24, 2013 2:16 pm

DDgunslinger wrote:If you have a government security clearance that is valid, I think your paper work should be pushed forward and approved. There really shouldn't be a wait time cause you've already cleared everything.
How about if you're just an American citizen?
"A citizen may not be required to offer a 'good and substantial reason' why he should be permitted to exercise his rights. The right's existence is all the reason he needs."

-U.S. District Judge Benson Everett Legg

Rext
KAC Member
KAC Member

Post by Rext » Wed Jul 24, 2013 3:01 pm

I deal with it on a daily basis. I think they should be able to be transferred simply by doing the forms and sending in the money,no waiting.Do a NICs. Thats if they werent to be exempt all together. The only other thing is to hire more examiner to crank these forms out. I realize the current examiners are overwhelmed with paperwork. So just bring in some temporary help to get the backlog cleared out and then let them go? The electronic stuff would be fine but in reality how hard is it to get a money order or an official check from your bank? That would do nothing to speed it up because the check cashing isnt the problem.
Or, have a special NICs section when you call it in. Then let us (FFL)give all the details to the NICs operator for the approval,then we send it in for them to record in the registry. Do away with the actual stamp and just write in an approval number or something.All the paperwork stays the same and everyone still has their copies. This would be the best way.
Kentucky Firearms
Kentucky's class three dealer
..When you just want to shhhoot!

DDgunslinger

Post by DDgunslinger » Wed Jul 24, 2013 5:14 pm

fromkentucky wrote:
DDgunslinger wrote:If you have a government security clearance that is valid, I think your paper work should be pushed forward and approved. There really shouldn't be a wait time cause you've already cleared everything.
How about if you're just an American citizen?
Listen Highspeed, trust me I got it. The fact that we cant just own SBRs/Supressors/full auto toys and have to pay tax stamps is bullshit to begin with. The paperwork, the background checks and the 6 month wait all sucks, but it aint gonna change. However, my point is that if you hold a security clearance which requires a wait to begin with and is a more extensive process than you shouldn't be held up by a secondary background check period... And yes I think military veterans who have served and hold a secret clearance shouldn't have to wait at all. Send in a check and the form and be done with it. Anyway, that was just my suggestion to help streamline/speed up the process.

Toddinlou
KAC Member
KAC Member

Post by Toddinlou » Sun Jul 28, 2013 9:40 am

OK so I understand that the process is left intimidating on purpose but here's what I don't get....... There's talk of CLEO signature going away. Why are examiners really needed? Given today's technology it would sure seem like the whole process could be automated. Lets automate the process on suppressors, SBR, AOW, and SBS oh yah and dealer to dealer transfers. Then we leave the current examiners to check over the full auto applications.

jackalo626
Global Mod
Global Mod
Has liked: 20 times
Been liked: 22 times

Post by jackalo626 » Sun Jul 28, 2013 11:57 am

Nobody can afford to shoot full auto anyways lol.

WLJ
KAC Member
KAC Member
Has liked: 11 times
Been liked: 110 times

Post by WLJ » Sun Jul 28, 2013 12:06 pm

jackalo626 wrote:Nobody can afford to shoot full auto anyways lol.
If they can afford the gun they can afford the ammo as a rule. There are people who spend more on socks a year than we do on avg for ammo.
There are criminals among us who are both homicidal and incorrigible. Their parents took a shot at civilizing them and failed. Their school teachers took a shot at them and failed. The odds are overwhelming that government welfare programs and penal institutions took a shot at them and failed. If it ever becomes your turn to take a shot at them, don’t fail.

jackalo626
Global Mod
Global Mod
Has liked: 20 times
Been liked: 22 times

Post by jackalo626 » Sun Jul 28, 2013 12:37 pm

WLJ wrote:
jackalo626 wrote:Nobody can afford to shoot full auto anyways lol.
If they can afford the gun they can afford the ammo as a rule. There are people who spend more on socks a year than we do on avg for ammo.
Tell that philosophy to all of the guys with European cars that find out the monthly payment doesn't include the $200 month maintenance they have to pay to own a European car. :llama: ps my comment was joking btw.

Return to “Short-barreled Rifles”