1st can?

NFA suppressor discussion goes on here. Silencers, cans, the wonderful things that make it our firearms quiet.
Pitbullcrazyinky
KAC Member
KAC Member
Has liked: 0
Been liked: 0

1st can?

Post by Pitbullcrazyinky » Sat Sep 15, 2012 11:20 am

What would be ideal for your first can, .22, 9mm, or 45?

How much quieter is a 22 vs 9mm vs 45?

Also would a dedicated 9 be quieter then a 45 used on a 9?

Toddinlou
KAC Member
KAC Member

1st can?

Post by Toddinlou » Sat Sep 15, 2012 11:32 am

Pitbullcrazyinky wrote:What would be ideal for your first can, .22, 9mm, or 45?

How much quieter is a 22 vs 9mm vs 45?

Also would a dedicated 9 be quieter then a 45 used on a 9?
If you want a pistol can get a 45 with changeable pistons like a Osprey or Tirant. As for 22, yes with subs it's a good deal more quiet. Feel free to hot me up sometime to try them and see what you think. As for dedicated 9 being much quieter than 9 through 45 it depends on the can but it's hardly noticeable

scorpionmain
KAC Member
KAC Member

Re: 1st can?

Post by scorpionmain » Sat Sep 15, 2012 11:39 am

"Among the natural rights of the colonists are these: First a right to life, secondly to liberty, and thirdly to property; together with the right to defend them in the best manner they can."
–Samuel Adams

guncrank1
KAC Member
KAC Member
Has liked: 3 times
Been liked: 15 times

Post by guncrank1 » Sat Sep 15, 2012 11:45 am

Yes a 9mm in a .45 can is louder than a 9mm in a 9mm can.

JustShootIt
Founding Father
Founding Father

Post by JustShootIt » Sat Sep 15, 2012 12:49 pm

scorpionmain wrote:.22
+1
"All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing."(Edmund Burke)

Toddinlou
KAC Member
KAC Member

Post by Toddinlou » Sat Sep 15, 2012 1:19 pm

[youtube]a0cMuEpVOuQ[/youtube]

guncrank1
KAC Member
KAC Member

Post by guncrank1 » Sat Sep 15, 2012 1:29 pm

Toddinlou wrote:[youtube]a0cMuEpVOuQ[/youtube]
Thanks Todd that proved my point

guncrank1
KAC Member
KAC Member

Post by guncrank1 » Sat Sep 15, 2012 1:30 pm

Oh Todd I said it was louder I did not say it would not be suppressed :llama:

Wyldman
KAC Member
KAC Member

Post by Wyldman » Sat Sep 15, 2012 1:33 pm

A good starting point is a .22 can. The SilencerCo SS Sparrow is most probably the most popular can on the market. It is super easy to clean, has very little first round pop, and being stainless steel, will easily last a lifetime. The one downside is that it is a bit pricey compared to some of the competition (ie: the Huntertown Arms Kestrel .22, also a stainless can). There are many aluminum cans available that are cheaper, the Tactical Innovations Stratus for example, and some even work as well, but they are just not as durable. Considering that the tax stamp is a "forever" purchase that you will never be able to recover, I suggest getting the best value for your money that you can, and not concentrate too heavily on getting the lowest price. In this game, you most definitely get what you pay for.

As for 9mm through a .45 can, my Osprey mounted on my G19 is no louder than the 9mm Bowers can that I have for my M11/9 (and the Bowers can is much larger, volume-wise). Either the Osprey or the Ti-rant would be an outstanding choice, but the Ti-rant does have the advantage of being user servicable, where the Osprey is not. Had the user servicable Ti-rant been available when I bought the Osprey, I probably would have gone with it instead. I am not at all unhappy with my Osprey, though. It has served me very well and will continue to do so for many years to come.
IN GOD WE TRUST

"That boy's paradigm don't always add up to four nickels...."

Pitbullcrazyinky
KAC Member
KAC Member

Post by Pitbullcrazyinky » Sat Sep 22, 2012 11:16 pm

Thanks wyldman, just what i wanted to here.
What kinda price should i be paying for a Sparrow or ti-rant?

JustShootIt
Founding Father
Founding Father

Post by JustShootIt » Sat Sep 22, 2012 11:51 pm

Wyldman knows more about the suppressors than I do, but I think the GemTech Outback llD is worth a look.

It's a very nice suppressor and "llD" comes apart for cleaning....I don't recall the price I paid right off (have to find receipt) but I believe it was $249.....

Very nice suppressor and very quiet....and great price point
"All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing."(Edmund Burke)

JustShootIt
Founding Father
Founding Father

Post by JustShootIt » Sat Sep 22, 2012 11:58 pm

One more thing to consider is a 5.56 can IF you plan to shoot alot of 22 from a rifle.

If you want to shoot 22 pistol suppressed a 5.56 can isn't going to be very cool due to size etc...

5.56 can suppresses my 22 rifles very nicely.....and it'll work on the ARs.....

Just a thought....but if you want a can that you can use on pistol and rifle stick with dedicated 22 can

Suppressed 22 is some of the most fun I've had.....never gets old!

[youtube]vlzqRb-FaRY[/youtube]
http://m.youtube.com/#/watch?v=vlzqRb-FaRY

JustShootIt
Founding Father
Founding Father

Post by JustShootIt » Sun Sep 23, 2012 12:04 am

[youtube]zRK0Q7qXanQ[/youtube]
http://m.youtube.com/#/watch?feature=re ... RK0Q7qXanQ

Sound reduction isn't as impressive on videos, but it gives u an idea

GunningBadger
KAC Member
KAC Member

Post by GunningBadger » Sun Sep 23, 2012 8:49 am

Id honestly recommend not using a 5.56 can on a .22. I'm sure the suppression won't be bad the only problem you can get into is filling up your can. Rifle cans are usually sealed to deal with higher pressures while the bulk of .22 cans are user serviceable and for good reason. Open up a .22 can after 1500-2000 rounds and you're going to be scrapping lead or putting it in the dip for a while. I'd agree with the above that starting with a .22 can is a great way to go. I have the silencerco sparrow and love it. The only other .22 can I'd consider buying is the SWR spectre 2. I've not shot one but this is supposed to be stupid quiet.

Mike
KAC Member
KAC Member
Been liked: 5 times

Post by Mike » Sun Sep 23, 2012 10:15 am

I bought my first can from Shooter's Supply. I picked up a Tactical Solutions Cascade for $129 on sale. Add the tax and you are under $350 total. Not bad and a great can. It's small enough to not block sights on my P22(even though I still can't hit anything with it).

:llama:

Nolan
KAC Member
KAC Member

Post by Nolan » Sun Sep 23, 2012 10:39 am

I am going to have to get a can--shooting JSI's plus seeing these pics is to much
"To disarm the people... was the best and most effectual way to enslave them."

-- George Mason, speech of June 14, 1788

Wyldman
KAC Member
KAC Member

Post by Wyldman » Sun Sep 23, 2012 11:11 am

Pitbullcrazyinky wrote:Thanks wyldman, just what i wanted to here.
What kinda price should i be paying for a Sparrow or ti-rant?
To get an accurate number for either of those cans, I'd suggest you contact RexT, he is my NFA pusher & keeps current on the prices of the various items he carries.

There are lots of different cans available from different companies, and they each have folks who would reccomend them for one reason or another. Anything I reccomend is going to be the best value I could find at the time, not neccissarily the cheapest. The Sparrow is the most popular .22 can on the market, suitable for use on any rimfire cartridge plus the .17 caliber stuff and the 5.7 used in the P90, either rifle or pistol, makes no difference. There aren't many cans that versatile in the .22 catagory. Along with the toughness of the can, the ease of take down & maintenance, makes it my first choice in a rimfire can.

There are a couple of drawbacks to the Sparrow, though. The first is the FRP, or first round "pop", which makes the first round through the can in any shooting session a bit louder than the successive shots. A dab, of water or wire pulling gel will eliminate this issue entirely. Another way I get away from it is to shoot a Colibri round as the first shot. This purges the O2 from the can so the FRP isn't an issue.

The 2nd is the price. Being in the neighborhood of $400, it is certainly not the cheapest thing going, by far. The new Huntertown Arms cans are much cheaper, and some perform nearly as well, though take down & cleaning isn't as easy. The Spectre cans mentioned are also great cans, but they are in same price catagory as the Sparrows. The greatest advantage of the Spectre, especially the Spectre II is the lack of FRP, though they don't meter any quieter than the Sparrow, overall.

Both the Ti-rant & the Osprey are in the $750.00+ price range, but worth every dime, IMO.

There is a world of information out there and a lot of research should be done, checking out as many cans as possible before a decision is made. A great place to get a free education is the Suppressor forum on AR15.com in the Armory section. Understanding, of course, that a great many keyboard commandos are out there and their opinions should be taken with a grain of salt as they just spew what they read in the forums, many of them never having seen or held a can IRL. It doesn't take long to weed them out & figure out who you should be listening to.

Another manufacturer of cans is Tactical Innovations. They don't get a lot of exposure or press, but they make some nice cans that are reasonbly priced. Companies like Surefire and some of AAC's products are high qualty stuff that they are excessively proud of, especially price wise. If you can afford thier product, and can wait for them to be produced (can companies are much like Kel-Tec, great products, but they can't get enough built anywhere near fast enough), then great! These companies have gov't contracts that must be satisfied before the civilian market, exacerbating the availibilty and price issues further.

If I can be of any help to any of you, feel free to shoot me a PM, I'll be happy to share what I have learned. If I don't know an answer, I'll say so, and either help find the answer or refer you to higher authority, but I'll never bullshit you. This is a serious and expensive subject and bullshit will never get you anywhere.
IN GOD WE TRUST

"That boy's paradigm don't always add up to four nickels...."

Toddinlou
KAC Member
KAC Member

1st can?

Post by Toddinlou » Sun Sep 23, 2012 1:20 pm

Wyldman is dead on. The only other thing is try before you buy whenever possible. See what the differences are with the higher dollar cans in person. Videos can't tell you most the story. Pitch and volume really depends on what the video was made with.

Return to “Suppressors”