Pistons and mounts, which do i use?

NFA suppressor discussion goes on here. Silencers, cans, the wonderful things that make it our firearms quiet.
Vividia
KAC Member
KAC Member
Has liked: 0
Been liked: 1 time

Pistons and mounts, which do i use?

Post by Vividia » Wed Nov 04, 2015 9:13 am

I re-read my reply on the suppressor picture thread regarding end caps and fixed spacers and such. I think it needed more clarity, so I thought I would pass along the information I received awhile back from Silencerco about what mounts and springs work with what on fixed and movable barrels (rifles and pistols).

Silencerco initial reply to my question
The Octane Fixed Mount will replace the Piston, Back Cap, and Booster Spring/Fixed Barrel Spacer. It is designed to replace all three parts, with just the one. The Fixed Barrel Spacer, is designed to work with a 5/8x24 Piston, and replaces the Booster Spring in assembly.

my summary for clarity
Thanks for your reply.
OK then, here is what I gather from your reply
If I use the fixed mount, I do NOT use EITHER a piston OR fixed spacer, just the fixed mount – it stands alone.

If I use the spacer, I should be using a 5/8x24 piston AND the “standard” back cap.

Does this sum it up properly? If so, it sounds like I can just use the Octane with the fixed mount on the rifles.
Also, is one method preferred, or does one perform better, over the other?

Silencerco further explanation
You are correct in your understanding. As for one over the other, it comes down most to convenience. The Octane Fixed Mount will be dedicated to said thread pitch; while the Fixed Barrel Spacer will work for not only a 300BLK Subsonic host, but also serve with a 1/2x28 Piston, for .22LR, or a 1/2x36 Piston for a 9mm carbine.

I thought others of you might benefit from my exchange. The guy I was conversing with is Tyler Rockey in customer service.

I have used my octane on 300BLK AR 15 and Rem 700, M&P9, 1911, Sig 226 for starters. Have all the needed pistons, end caps, fixed adapters and front caps. Love it.
Mexican Kerry wrote:Except for Viv. I predict she will be the leader of a group that roams the countryside pillaging for survival.
It is hardly too strong to say that the Constitution was made to guard the people against the dangers of good intentions. There are men in all ages who mean to govern well, but they mean to govern. They promise to be good masters, but they mean to be masters. - Daniel Webster

DDgunslinger
Has liked: 0
Been liked: 0

Re: Pistons and mounts, which do i use?

Post by DDgunslinger » Wed Nov 04, 2015 9:22 am

Good info, thanks for posting this up, Viv

Niceguy
KAC Member
KAC Member
Has liked: 327 times
Been liked: 92 times

Post by Niceguy » Wed Nov 04, 2015 9:35 am

Very good info! Thanks!

ssracer
KAC Member
KAC Member
Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 56 times

Post by ssracer » Wed Nov 04, 2015 9:46 am

Nice. Good info

guncrank1
KAC Member
KAC Member
Has liked: 3 times
Been liked: 15 times

Post by guncrank1 » Wed Nov 04, 2015 10:37 am

Nice so others know this.

Tyler
KAC Member
KAC Member
Has liked: 2 times
Been liked: 3 times

Post by Tyler » Wed Nov 04, 2015 12:19 pm

I've dealt with Tyler on a customer service/QA issue in the past and he more than took care of the situation. Good people at silencerco.
Height Supremacist

Niceguy
KAC Member
KAC Member
Has liked: 327 times
Been liked: 92 times

Post by Niceguy » Wed Nov 04, 2015 12:29 pm

Just hung up with them and The Silencer shop and both told me I was good to go with a $40something spacer. Both have FANTASTIC customer service all of the times of dealt with either of them... Always helpful and always very nice.

Return to “Suppressors”