7.62 can

NFA suppressor discussion goes on here. Silencers, cans, the wonderful things that make it our firearms quiet.
shaggy1392
KAC Member
KAC Member
Has liked: 0
Been liked: 1 time

7.62 can

Post by shaggy1392 » Wed Jun 03, 2015 2:52 pm

I have been doing my research for a few weeks and am getting close to pulling the trigger on a 7.62 can. There are two that I'm considering but curious if anyone has any other recommendations before I make my final decision. I'm currently considering a silencerco omega and a dead air sandman but am heavily leaning towards the omega for several reasons. Honestly there is not enough info or first hand user reviews about the sandman but I see a lot of people on the Mike Pappas band wagon so it makes me curious. Anyone have any helpful opinion on these two cans other 7.62 can i should consider? It's going to see use on a 308 and 223 bolt guns, 300 blackout sbr, and a few other ARS in 5.56.

Tyler
KAC Member
KAC Member
Has liked: 2 times
Been liked: 3 times

Re: 7.62 can

Post by Tyler » Wed Jun 03, 2015 10:30 pm

I don't think you can go wrong either way, but SilencerCo is more of a safe bet for longevity in customer support/repair. I believe the Specwar matches up pretty well in terms of performance and is much cheaper.
Height Supremacist

samb.
Been liked: 0

Post by samb. » Wed Jun 03, 2015 10:44 pm

I have a specwar 7.62 and a hta 7.62ak. Hands down the specwar is a much better can but at 2x the cost. Havent shot an omega but if its anything like the specwar you will be happy with it.
Last edited by samb. on Thu Jun 04, 2015 8:32 am, edited 1 time in total.

Whootsinator
Little Butthole

Post by Whootsinator » Thu Jun 04, 2015 7:48 am

I only say this because you mentioned a .300BLK SBR, but make absolutely sure that you don't use your can on a barrel shorter than what the can is rated for.

The Omega is what everyone I trust seems to be looking at the closest.
"I don't retreat; I kick ass in the other direction."

shaggy1392
KAC Member
KAC Member

Post by shaggy1392 » Fri Jun 05, 2015 4:39 pm

I checked out the specwar and the price difference between it and the omega is only $160. Considering it comes with a direct thread mount as well seems like the price difference is minimal. I also like how much shorter/lighter it is and the ability to change end caps. I think for a multi purpose 7.62 can the omega is what I'm going to go with. Thanks for the input.

shelbygoat
KAC Member
KAC Member

Post by shelbygoat » Fri Jun 05, 2015 8:12 pm

Have you considered building a suppressor on a Form 1? Just throwing out an option. I am building a Titanium one for well under what commercial ones go for, but you won't have the backing of a big company for warranty or something like that. Just something to consider, SD Tactical Arms is where I procured most of my parts from.

Vividia
KAC Member
KAC Member

Post by Vividia » Fri Jun 05, 2015 9:55 pm

I have both the specwar and the saker in 7.62.

The specwar is a very good can, but is limited in mounting choices, only QD mounts - flash hider and brake. It uses the ASR quick on/off, and I like it. It does not have the direct thread mount option. It is longer and heavier than the saker, and the front end is fixed, too. I really like the can, it is quiet. I have pretty much dedicated it to threaded 700s due to the length and weight.

The Saker has multiple mounting options, QD flash hider or brake, direct thread mount, also has an ASR mount so can be used on rifle that has that mount (like my 700 LOL). The front cap can be exchanged, several choices including a 556 which makes it a tad quieter on those. The QD mount does not have to be changed between 556 and 762, back end is same for both. If you have cans from other companies, they have a 51T mount for the AAC system, and a Y mount for YHM. I very much like this can, especially the versatility.

The Omega is a conglomeration of what is good about saker and specwar. It uses the ASR mounting system, but it DOES have exchangeable mounts and front caps, though not as many as the saker. It is a little shorter but a tiny bit wider than the saker, and a third less the weight, no small thing. It is quieter than the saker by a bit. It is an excellent can, and I am considering adding one to my collection.

If you are considering mounting to an SBR or pistol length rifle round - you MUST consider which is best with the shortest barrel. The saker will go on shorter barrels than the omega. Saker will go down to 7" with both 556 and 300 blk, while the omega will only go down to 8" 556 and 12" with 300 blk. If you are going to SBR a 308, the difference is greater - 12" for saker and 16" for omega. The lightness comes at a cost in barrel length. The specwar has the same barrel specs as the saker.

So, as usual it comes down to whatever mission you want to satisfy, and buy the can that fits the mission best. As I said, I very much like the saker and its versatility. Its size is nice. It's heavier than the omega, but it will go on shorter barrels because of it. The Omega is quieter, lighter and has a tad fewer mounting options. The specwar is really nice but has the fewest mounting options, and is the longest and heaviest.

At some point I am sure I will have an omega in my collection, but for now the saker and specwar do me nicely. YMMV
Mexican Kerry wrote:Except for Viv. I predict she will be the leader of a group that roams the countryside pillaging for survival.
It is hardly too strong to say that the Constitution was made to guard the people against the dangers of good intentions. There are men in all ages who mean to govern well, but they mean to govern. They promise to be good masters, but they mean to be masters. - Daniel Webster

Mike
KAC Member
KAC Member
Been liked: 5 times

Post by Mike » Fri Jun 05, 2015 11:49 pm

Or you could go with a Hunter Town Arms and have you one by 2017
:llama:

shaggy1392
KAC Member
KAC Member

Post by shaggy1392 » Sat Jun 06, 2015 11:20 am

Mike wrote:Or you could go with a Hunter Town Arms and have you one by 2017

It took me months to get a response from them about sending my guardian 22 in to upgrade baffles. Even after they finally responded I'm scared to send it in. I'm afraid I won't get it back and I'll never be able to get a hold of them again. They will never see another dollar of mine.

mtchbrian
KAC Member
KAC Member
Has liked: 2 times
Been liked: 8 times

Post by mtchbrian » Wed Aug 19, 2015 10:39 am

i just noticed the GA 30sd can. it mounts using standard A2 flash hiders or thier own comps. i think this looks like a viable option. i am waiting on a local shop to get one in so i can see if i like it. if so, i'll be purchasing one when my bonus hits at the end of the year.
Proud husband, father of 3, Iraqi Freedom Veteran, and Operation New Dawn veteran.

shaggy1392
KAC Member
KAC Member

Post by shaggy1392 » Tue Dec 22, 2015 1:10 pm

Well, after 6 months of going back and forth about which can to get, I pulled the trigger on an omega this morning. Form 4 should be going out today or tomorrow. Now I need to to start searching for my next toy to keep me occupied while I wait.

Return to “Suppressors”