Baffle strikes ooops

NFA suppressor discussion goes on here. Silencers, cans, the wonderful things that make it our firearms quiet.
Next
KAC Member
KAC Member
Has liked: 8 times
Been liked: 43 times

Baffle strikes ooops

Post by Next » Sun Nov 26, 2023 12:54 pm

If you are sighting in a new rifle and you see bullets going in sideways STOP. I didn't and shot 5-6 rounds this way and looked inside my can and you can see where I bored out the inside. Outside looks fine, but you can see where the rounds were hitting. I couldn't get on paper and then was way right and you can see the 220 gr 300 BO bullets hitting the paper sideways. I took off the can and was able to walk it up, but not before damage inside. Looks like I chewed up some of the inside in my AAC 7.62 Can, but doesn't look too bad.

Toddstang
Global Mod
Global Mod
Has liked: 145 times
Been liked: 98 times

Re: Baffle strikes ooops

Post by Toddstang » Sun Nov 26, 2023 2:08 pm

Ouch!!!

Niceguy
KAC Member
KAC Member
Has liked: 327 times
Been liked: 92 times

Post by Niceguy » Sun Nov 26, 2023 3:28 pm

Damn, that sucks!

Sent from my SM-N981U using Tapatalk

plumber_bob
KAC Member
KAC Member
Has liked: 174 times
Been liked: 80 times

Post by plumber_bob » Sun Nov 26, 2023 4:05 pm

One of my hangups on buying a suppressor is that I'll do something like that or similar.
I can't see spending all that money, counting the stamp, and then fucking it up because of something I dumbly didn't think about ahead of time.

pb
"One Man With Courage is a Majority"

jmeister
KAC Member
KAC Member
Has liked: 3 times
Been liked: 3 times

Post by jmeister » Sun Nov 26, 2023 4:54 pm

What barrel mfg didn't thread correctly?
These users liked the author jmeister for the post:
Niceguy
Rating: 12.5%

Toddstang
Global Mod
Global Mod
Has liked: 145 times
Been liked: 98 times

Post by Toddstang » Sun Nov 26, 2023 6:18 pm

jmeister wrote:
Sun Nov 26, 2023 4:54 pm
What barrel mfg didn't thread correctly?
That or it worked loose.

Next
KAC Member
KAC Member
Has liked: 8 times
Been liked: 43 times

Post by Next » Sun Nov 26, 2023 6:47 pm

Ruger Ranch bolt gun, but I was at fault it wasn't on like it should have been. I use the 51 tooth AAC flash hiders and I didn't hear the clicks when taking it off.

Dave1965
KAC Member
KAC Member
Has liked: 0
Been liked: 23 times

Post by Dave1965 » Sun Nov 26, 2023 8:03 pm

I am kinda curious as why use a suppressor on bolt gun on a site-in...but then I don't have any suppressors so I don't know (thought they required a big thorough cleaning every so many rounds)

iron369
KAC Member
KAC Member
Has liked: 71 times
Been liked: 96 times

Post by iron369 » Sun Nov 26, 2023 8:33 pm

Dave1965 wrote:I am kinda curious as why use a suppressor on bolt gun on a site-in...but then I don't have any suppressors so I don't know (thought they required a big thorough cleaning every so many rounds)
Because if you site it in without the suppressor, you have to do it again when it gets installed. They can change the poi significantly.
Using Tapatalk

iron369
KAC Member
KAC Member
Has liked: 71 times
Been liked: 96 times

Post by iron369 » Sun Nov 26, 2023 8:39 pm

plumber_bob wrote:One of my hangups on buying a suppressor is that I'll do something like that or similar.
I can't see spending all that money, counting the stamp, and then fucking it up because of something I dumbly didn't think about ahead of time.

pb
Most commercial cans have a one time repair warranty for baffle strikes. There’s also bore alignment rods that help prevent a baffle strike from happening in the first place. I bought one building my form1 cans because I don’t have the luxury of a warranty and technically any changes made (including repairs) without a SOT is illegal once a form 1 can is complete.
Using Tapatalk

Dustin
KAC Member
KAC Member
Has liked: 4 times
Been liked: 40 times

Post by Dustin » Mon Nov 27, 2023 7:56 am

iron369 wrote:
Sun Nov 26, 2023 8:39 pm
plumber_bob wrote:One of my hangups on buying a suppressor is that I'll do something like that or similar.

pb
Most commercial cans have a one time repair warranty for baffle strikes. There’s also bore alignment rods that help prevent a baffle strike from happening in the first place. I bought one building my form1 cans because I don’t have the luxury of a warranty and technically any changes made (including repairs) without a SOT is illegal once a form 1 can is complete.
If they are still in business. Every time I get new can the manufacturer goes belly up. I have 2 AAC can and 2 huntertowns. I think the AAC is back but the can has to be manufactured on or after November 1, 2021
"What country can preserve its liberties if their rulers are not warned from time to time that their people preserve the spirit of resistance. Let them take arms." Thomas Jefferson

Return to “Suppressors”