The Media

Want to discuss politics, religious affairs, legal items, this would be the place. Keep the discourse civil please.
ssracer
KAC Member
KAC Member
Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 56 times

The Media

Post by ssracer » Sat Dec 15, 2012 1:21 pm

I can't find a source to verify that this was actually said by Morgan Freeman, but regardless, I agree that if this isn't at least part of the problem, it sure as hell isn't part of the solution.
Morgan Freeman's statement about these random shootings....

"You want to know why. This may sound cynical, but here's why.

It's because of the way the media reports it. Flip on the news and watch how we treat the Batman theater shooter and the Oregon mall shooter like celebrities. Dylan Klebold and Eric Harris are household names, but do you kn
ow the name of a single victim of Columbine? Disturbed people who would otherwise just off themselves in their basements see the news and want to top it by doing something worse, and going out in a memorable way. Why a grade school? Why children? Because he'll be remembered as a horrible monster, instead of a sad nobody.

CNN's article says that if the body count "holds up", this will rank as the second deadliest shooting behind Virginia Tech, as if statistics somehow make one shooting worse than another. Then they post a video interview of third-graders for all the details of what they saw and heard while the shootings were happening. Fox News has plastered the killer's face on all their reports for hours. Any articles or news stories yet that focus on the victims and ignore the killer's identity? None that I've seen yet. Because they don't sell. So congratulations, sensationalist media, you've just lit the fire for someone to top this and knock off a day care center or a maternity ward next.

You can help by forgetting you ever read this man's name, and remembering the name of at least one victim. You can help by donating to mental health research instead of pointing to gun control as the problem."

Toddstang
Global Mod
Global Mod
Has liked: 145 times
Been liked: 98 times

Re: The Media

Post by Toddstang » Sat Dec 15, 2012 1:54 pm

You can help by forgetting you ever read this man's name, and remembering the name of at least one victim. You can help by donating to mental health research instead of pointing to gun control as the problem

EXACTLY!

drifter0069
KAC Member
KAC Member
Has liked: 0
Been liked: 0

Post by drifter0069 » Sat Dec 15, 2012 2:04 pm

well said

Dave1965
KAC Member
KAC Member
Been liked: 23 times

Post by Dave1965 » Sat Dec 15, 2012 2:10 pm

morgan is not pro gun from what I understood.

ssracer
KAC Member
KAC Member
Has liked: 1 time

The Media

Post by ssracer » Sat Dec 15, 2012 2:59 pm

That's why I was trying to find the original source because I doubt it was him. But it's true nonetheless

WLJ
KAC Member
KAC Member
Has liked: 11 times
Been liked: 110 times

Post by WLJ » Mon Dec 17, 2012 2:53 pm

Morgan Freeman denies viral Newtown statement
http://www.hlntv.com/article/2012/12/17 ... ?hpt=hp_t2
There are criminals among us who are both homicidal and incorrigible. Their parents took a shot at civilizing them and failed. Their school teachers took a shot at them and failed. The odds are overwhelming that government welfare programs and penal institutions took a shot at them and failed. If it ever becomes your turn to take a shot at them, don’t fail.

Rem700
KAC Member
KAC Member
Has liked: 110 times

Post by Rem700 » Mon Dec 17, 2012 2:55 pm

Regardless of if he said it or not it is true.

Ian
KAC Member
KAC Member

Post by Ian » Mon Dec 17, 2012 3:43 pm

True as can be, regardless of who spoke it
"Not all men seek rest and peace; some are born with the spirit of the storm in their blood, restless harbingers of violence and bloodshed, knowing no other path." Robert Howard

Wyldman
KAC Member
KAC Member

Post by Wyldman » Mon Dec 17, 2012 7:50 pm

I knew there was no way in hell this came from his lips, not after that stupidity he was spouting for Obama's TV commercials before the "election".

Anyone think this whole mess is a great diversion from O's legal woes?
IN GOD WE TRUST

"That boy's paradigm don't always add up to four nickels...."

Return to “Legal/Politics/Religious”