H.R. 367 Hearing Protection Act 2017 (HPA)

Want to discuss politics, religious affairs, legal items, this would be the place. Keep the discourse civil please.
Wyldman
KAC Member
KAC Member
Has liked: 0
Been liked: 0

Re: H.R. 367 Hearing Protection Act 2017 (HPA)

Post by Wyldman » Wed Jan 11, 2017 9:05 am

iron369 wrote:
Wyldman wrote:I have been making notes and drawings for some cans I want to build for a while, now. I can't do anything with them until after the new legislation passes, but I can dream.

I did file a form 1 last year and build a 9mm can that cost me $30 for materials, and it works great. It's actually smaller and quieter than my Bowers 9mm can that I bought to use on my M11/9!

Crush, kill, mangle, maim, destroy.
I'd love to see a picture of this. I have substantially more in my 9mm form 1 can. I'm waiting on some moly resin to come and it should be done.
I have honk if the hpa goes through it will increase price of suppressor for a while until demand slows closer to supply.
I'll try to scan some of my drawings and notes. If I can make them small enough to email, I'll PM you for an email addy.

IN GOD WE TRUST

"That boy's paradigm don't always add up to four nickels...."

plumber_bob
KAC Member
KAC Member
Has liked: 173 times
Been liked: 79 times

Post by plumber_bob » Wed Jan 11, 2017 10:42 am

Right now, I have what it takes to make one, but I'm gonna hold off sending in anything/doing anything until I see how things go in the first few months to a year.

Not holding back on buying ammo for that long,... but for now, I'm in a holding pattern on that too. Guns also. Hoping for a price drop, I said hoping,.. not expecting.

Here's one I'll ask the people here. If suppressors do become straight out legal with no tax stamp, will the actual price of cans go down? Should be an even bigger market for them,... right?

pb
"One Man With Courage is a Majority"

ssracer
KAC Member
KAC Member
Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 55 times

Post by ssracer » Wed Jan 11, 2017 11:35 am

plumber_bob wrote:Right now, I have what it takes to make one, but I'm gonna hold off sending in anything/doing anything until I see how things go in the first few months to a year.

Not holding back on buying ammo for that long,... but for now, I'm in a holding pattern on that too. Guns also. Hoping for a price drop, I said hoping,.. not expecting.

Here's one I'll ask the people here. If suppressors do become straight out legal with no tax stamp, will the actual price of cans go down? Should be an even bigger market for them,... right?

pb
Like someone else said, there could be a run on them initially making prices possibly go up. However, with all the new companies in the market in just the past couple of years I would be willing to bet deregulation would entice plenty more companies to try their hand in the market. I doubt you'd see the prices come down much on any of the big makers, just like a flood of AR manufacturers hasn't really affected the price of Daniel Defense or LMT, etc. But it could definitely bring new, lower priced cans to the market from new companies. But just like AR's, I'm sure not all reasonably priced cans would be good cans.

plumber_bob
KAC Member
KAC Member

Post by plumber_bob » Wed Jan 11, 2017 12:04 pm

Thanks ssracer,
I'll be watching this for awhile just to see how it plays out. I'd be pissed if I got a tax stamp about the time they canceled the need for one. lol Not in a hurry for one,... but want one.

pb

Whootsinator
Little Butthole

Post by Whootsinator » Wed Jan 11, 2017 12:34 pm

I agree with Racer. To add, I expect to see a large number of companies pop up making very simple, cheap to produce, reasonably low priced suppressors. It's not like the suppressor is a new idea or inherently expensive. Things can be simple AND high quality. Unfortunately without a record to look back to we'll be gambling on who is simple but quality and who is out to make a quick buck on the suppressor rush.

The Big Boys' market for high quality, high tech, highly supported, and not cheap will stay mostly safe.
"I don't retreat; I kick ass in the other direction."

ssracer
KAC Member
KAC Member

Post by ssracer » Wed Jan 11, 2017 12:39 pm

I'd also expect a boom in the DIY suppressor kit market

ssracer
KAC Member
KAC Member

H.R. 367 Hearing Protection Act 2017 (HPA)

Post by ssracer » Wed Jan 11, 2017 12:39 pm

Maybe even a shortage of Maglights and freeze plugs...lol

Wyldman
KAC Member
KAC Member

Post by Wyldman » Wed Jan 11, 2017 12:41 pm

plumber_bob wrote:Thanks ssracer,
I'll be watching this for awhile just to see how it plays out. I'd be pissed if I got a tax stamp about the time they canceled the need for one. lol Not in a hurry for one,... but want one.

pb
As I understand it, the bill before Congress contains a statement that anyone paying for the $200 tax stamp after a certain date, would get thier money refunded.

Another thought occurred to me that the collector value of the most expensive stamp, tax or otherwise, in American history may go up significantly if they are no longer being issued. If so, I have a handful of them that may be worth quite a bit. None of which, btw, is eligible for the aforementioned refund, as they were all issued well before the date in question.

IN GOD WE TRUST

Whootsinator
Little Butthole

Post by Whootsinator » Wed Jan 11, 2017 12:42 pm

"Hello, Autozone corporate? This is branch 425 out on 35... there must be some bad oil out on the market because we haven't been able to keep filters in stock for weeks! Send us ANOTHER trailer load, please!"

Whootsinator
Little Butthole

Post by Whootsinator » Wed Jan 11, 2017 12:44 pm

Wyldman wrote:

pb
As I understand it, the bill before Congress contains a statement that anyone paying for the $200 tax stamp after a certain date, would get thier money refunded.

I honestly don't believe the bill will pass with this in it, and I don't believe they ever intended for it to stay. I think it's a fall guy (I'm sure there's a real political word already used for this) to be removed when the other side calls for compromise. "Ohhh FINE, we'll remove the refunds... are you happy now?"

Just my thought.

plumber_bob
KAC Member
KAC Member

Post by plumber_bob » Wed Jan 11, 2017 12:49 pm

I do believe that the stamp tax will be reimbursed if all goes good,... still,... I'm waiting.
If STHF then I can have one quick, So why push it for now?
I got one if I truly need it.

pb

Gunsmokin
KAC Member
KAC Member
Been liked: 20 times

Post by Gunsmokin » Wed Jan 11, 2017 2:19 pm

iron369 wrote:
Toecutter1978 wrote:
iron369 wrote:
Toecutter1978 wrote:Now why not just make your own and not worry about those pesky form 4 cans. Form 1 those things.

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

Form 1's are running just as long as form 4's nowadays. Lots of form 1's were filed right before 41p
Really? Wow! Last time I looked the turn around was one to two months.

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk
They are running about 7 months. People getting their form 1 cans approved now filed back in June. They can't be efiled anymore which expedited the process and there was a big rush to keep from trying to get fingerprints and photos for everyone on your trust.
Correct. I'm still waiting for a stamp on a form 1 SBR filed electronically on 7/7.
jackalo626 wrote:Skibble dee dibbledy

Gunsmokin
KAC Member
KAC Member

Post by Gunsmokin » Wed Jan 11, 2017 2:23 pm

pb
IIrc, I read where the law would include a refund for any silencer tax stamp processed after a certain date in 2015. That might be a throw-away bargaining chip to help get the bill through, but it would be awesome to get a refund. I'd have $400 coming back.

plumber_bob
KAC Member
KAC Member

Post by plumber_bob » Wed Jan 11, 2017 4:48 pm

Gunsmokin wrote:

pb
IIrc, I read where the law would include a refund for any silencer tax stamp processed after a certain date in 2015. That might be a throw-away bargaining chip to help get the bill through, but it would be awesome to get a refund. I'd have $400 coming back.
I am under the same understanding as well. Just wanna wait. More comfortable this way for now.

pb

Dave1965
KAC Member
KAC Member
Been liked: 23 times

Post by Dave1965 » Wed Jan 11, 2017 5:51 pm

plumber_bob wrote:
Gunsmokin wrote:

pb
I am under the same understanding as well. Just wanna wait. More comfortable this way for now.

pb
They would have the IRS be issuing those checks to you...good luck :lol: :? :llama:

(before WLJ jumps in to correct me, I know it is not them, but it made it funny....darn you Wilson!)

WLJ
KAC Member
KAC Member
Been liked: 109 times

Post by WLJ » Mon Jan 23, 2017 8:21 pm

I was wondering how long it would be before this argument against came up
Gunfire — loud, sharp, rude, abrupt — is an important safety feature of any firearm. From potential victims who seek to escape a mass shooting to a hiker being alerted to the presence of a hunter in the woods, the sound warns bystanders of potentially lethal danger. Yet gun advocates insist there is a greater danger: hearing loss by gun owners.
The NRA wants to suppress one of guns’ most important safety features
https://www.washingtonpost.com/amphtml/ ... story.html
There are criminals among us who are both homicidal and incorrigible. Their parents took a shot at civilizing them and failed. Their school teachers took a shot at them and failed. The odds are overwhelming that government welfare programs and penal institutions took a shot at them and failed. If it ever becomes your turn to take a shot at them, don’t fail.

Wyldman
KAC Member
KAC Member

Post by Wyldman » Mon Jan 23, 2017 10:46 pm

Are you fucking kidding me!!!!!!!!!!!!!

IN GOD WE TRUST

WLJ
KAC Member
KAC Member

Post by WLJ » Thu Feb 02, 2017 7:15 pm

Layoffs Reported at SilencerCo, Lagging Sales Due to Hearing Protection Act Indicated
http://www.thetruthaboutguns.com/2017/0 ... ction-act/
There are criminals among us who are both homicidal and incorrigible. Their parents took a shot at civilizing them and failed. Their school teachers took a shot at them and failed. The odds are overwhelming that government welfare programs and penal institutions took a shot at them and failed. If it ever becomes your turn to take a shot at them, don’t fail.

iron369
KAC Member
KAC Member
Has liked: 72 times
Been liked: 96 times

Post by iron369 » Thu Feb 02, 2017 8:02 pm

It couldn't have more to do with the fact that 41p is a real pita, could it? I'd like to pick up another suppressor, but having to get fingerprints and pictures for everyone listed as trustees on my trust is an issue. I know it can be amended, but it's not worth the hassle to me. At least not right now. But to be honest, I would have put in for 3 more stamps if the efile system didn't mysteriously go down right before 41p took effect.
Using Tapatalk

Dave1965
KAC Member
KAC Member

Post by Dave1965 » Sat Feb 04, 2017 8:48 am

If this act goes through there will be suppressors all over my house. Have so many I might not be able to find them at times :shock: :lol:

Gunsmokin
KAC Member
KAC Member

Post by Gunsmokin » Sat Feb 04, 2017 9:11 am

Dave1965 wrote:If this act goes through there will be suppressors all over my house. Have so many I might not be able to find them at times :shock: :lol:
Just give them to me. I'll keep them safe for you. :-)

Whootsinator
Little Butthole

Post by Whootsinator » Sun Feb 05, 2017 1:36 am

This is the kind of goodness that can come from the HPA. Jordan Bowles, previously in the firearms design/manufacture industry, put this together. It's a 3D printable ABS plastic .22lr suppressor with a press fit threaded brass insert for mounting to your barrel. It cost him about $203 to manufacture..... $200 in tax stamps, and about $3 in materials. With a $500 printer you can reliably print as many of the ABS bodies as your heart desires. With a smaller $200 printer you could crank out shorty length ABS bodies. The brass insert is currently custom and you'll need a lathe to manufacture that bit... I'd really like to see him come up with a design using a COTS mounting insert OR design and manufacture the inserts to sell commercially. He does not expect durability to be a concern on .22lr. Being one solid piece it obviously can't be taken apart.

http://imgur.com/a/slHvI

Dave1965
KAC Member
KAC Member

Post by Dave1965 » Sun Feb 05, 2017 11:35 am

Whootsinator wrote:This is the kind of goodness that can come from the HPA. Jordan Bowles, previously in the firearms design/manufacture industry, put this together. It's a 3D printable ABS plastic .22lr suppressor with a press fit threaded brass insert for mounting to your barrel. It cost him about $203 to manufacture..... $200 in tax stamps, and about $3 in materials. With a $500 printer you can reliably print as many of the ABS bodies as your heart desires. With a smaller $200 printer you could crank out shorty length ABS bodies. The brass insert is currently custom and you'll need a lathe to manufacture that bit... I'd really like to see him come up with a design using a COTS mounting insert OR design and manufacture the inserts to sell commercially. He does not expect durability to be a concern on .22lr. Being one solid piece it obviously can't be taken apart.

http://imgur.com/a/slHvI

3d printer file location :) ??

Whootsinator
Little Butthole

Post by Whootsinator » Sun Feb 05, 2017 11:56 am

Due to ITAR it can't be published... at least, Jordan isn't willing to publish due to ITAR complications. He said that basically if someone wanted to make an example of him the law sees publicly publishing/distributing his file and giving Iran nuclear warhead data as the same. As much as he actually does want to publish it online and spread it to the masses, he isn't into the idea of federal prison.

I don't believe he's allowed to sell it either, as he isn't operating as or under any sort of FFL, but he could give it someone directly for free.

WLJ
KAC Member
KAC Member

Post by WLJ » Sat Feb 18, 2017 7:29 pm

You know this was going to happen sooner or later.

https://youtu.be/ZUJ7TlOk98w

Return to “Legal/Politics/Religious”