The “suck it up, buttercup” Bill

Want to discuss politics, religious affairs, legal items, this would be the place. Keep the discourse civil please.
WLJ
KAC Member
KAC Member
Has liked: 11 times
Been liked: 110 times

The “suck it up, buttercup” Bill

Post by WLJ » Wed Nov 16, 2016 1:39 pm

:lol:
He’s referring to the piece of legislation as the “suck it up, buttercup” bill and he hopes to introduce it when the legislature resumes in January, the Des Moines Register reported.

The bill would take aim at state universities that offer election-related sit-ins and grief counseling beyond the resources normally available to students. Those colleges that use taxpayer dollars to fund these extra programs would be subject to a budget cut for double the amount they spend.
The ‘suck it up, buttercup’ bill: Iowa lawmaker targets postelection campus ‘hysteria’
https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/mor ... -hysteria/
There are criminals among us who are both homicidal and incorrigible. Their parents took a shot at civilizing them and failed. Their school teachers took a shot at them and failed. The odds are overwhelming that government welfare programs and penal institutions took a shot at them and failed. If it ever becomes your turn to take a shot at them, don’t fail.

rustynuts
KAC Member
KAC Member
Has liked: 47 times
Been liked: 80 times

Re: The “suck it up, buttercup” Bill

Post by rustynuts » Wed Nov 16, 2016 2:05 pm

They need to extend it to cover any crybaby safe spaces, etc.

Rem700
KAC Member
KAC Member
Has liked: 110 times
Been liked: 56 times

Post by Rem700 » Wed Nov 16, 2016 2:09 pm

While i think he should spend his time doing something a little more productive with his tax payer funded job......i like his line of thinking.

PDM
KAC Member
KAC Member
Has liked: 89 times
Been liked: 47 times

Post by PDM » Wed Nov 16, 2016 2:47 pm

Rem700 wrote:While i think he should spend his time doing something a little more productive with his tax payer funded job......i like his line of thinking.
But it's less than the safe spaces we are funding
"The unlimited power of the sword is not in the hands of either the federal or the state governments, but, where I trust in God it will ever remain, in the hands of the people."
Tench Coxe

samb.
Has liked: 0
Been liked: 0

Post by samb. » Wed Nov 16, 2016 3:10 pm

Rem700 wrote:While i think he should spend his time doing something a little more productive with his tax payer funded job......i like his line of thinking.
If he cuts double their budget he just saved tax money, if he gets them to stop having election grief counseling he saves money. I hope it passes and is an example for law makers across the country

Rem700
KAC Member
KAC Member

Post by Rem700 » Wed Nov 16, 2016 3:29 pm

samb. wrote:
If he cuts double their budget he just saved tax money, if he gets them to stop having election grief counseling he saves money. I hope it passes and is an example for law makers across the country
Oh i understand but IMO this is more of a "fake" feel good screw you type of bill that he knows wont get passed but will give him credibility with his constituency. Maybe im wrong. I hope im wrong. We need to cut wasteful and stupid spending in every aspect of life that is paid for with taxes.

Rem700
KAC Member
KAC Member

Post by Rem700 » Wed Nov 16, 2016 4:16 pm

Toecutter1978
KAC Member
KAC Member
Been liked: 14 times

Post by Toecutter1978 » Wed Nov 16, 2016 5:00 pm

I've had my time wasted due to crying and bellyaching. How about the thunderdome?

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

Frailer
KAC Member
KAC Member

Post by Frailer » Wed Nov 16, 2016 10:50 pm

Absolute bullshit--both the whiner-coddling and the bill that aims to punish it.

Government overreach is government overreach.

WLJ
KAC Member
KAC Member

Post by WLJ » Wed Nov 16, 2016 10:57 pm

Like it's really going to get passed. Guy is just trying to make a statement.
A sense of humor helps too.
There are criminals among us who are both homicidal and incorrigible. Their parents took a shot at civilizing them and failed. Their school teachers took a shot at them and failed. The odds are overwhelming that government welfare programs and penal institutions took a shot at them and failed. If it ever becomes your turn to take a shot at them, don’t fail.

Frailer
KAC Member
KAC Member

Post by Frailer » Wed Nov 16, 2016 11:07 pm

WLJ wrote:Like it's really going to get passed. Guy is just trying to make a statement.
From another thread:
Rem700 wrote:Boxer is just trying to appease the masses of morons in her state with this "I'm Angry" legislation that she knows will go absolutely no where. But she also knows it will help her re-election.
It's not funny when a Democratic clown does it, and it's not funny when a Republican clown does it.

It's a "who can be more childish" contest, and everyone's winning.

WLJ
KAC Member
KAC Member

Post by WLJ » Wed Nov 16, 2016 11:16 pm

Frailer wrote:
WLJ wrote:Like it's really going to get passed. Guy is just trying to make a statement.
From another thread:
Rem700 wrote:Boxer is just trying to appease the masses of morons in her state with this "I'm Angry" legislation that she knows will go absolutely no where. But she also knows it will help her re-election.
It's not funny when a Democratic clown does it, and it's not funny when a Republican clown does it.

One is a shut the hell up, you're acting like fools statement. The other is a statement of solidarity with people who are the fools.
One is funny is a ha ha way, the other is funny in a you got to be kidding way.

If you can't see the difference I can't help you.

PDM
KAC Member
KAC Member
Has liked: 89 times
Been liked: 47 times

Post by PDM » Thu Nov 17, 2016 6:38 am

Frailer wrote:Absolute bullshit--both the whiner-coddling and the bill that aims to punish it.

That line was crossed when the first cent of federal money made it to the university. All this bill does is tell them how to use it.

Having a sense of humor works too
"The unlimited power of the sword is not in the hands of either the federal or the state governments, but, where I trust in God it will ever remain, in the hands of the people."
Tench Coxe

Toecutter1978
KAC Member
KAC Member
Been liked: 14 times

Post by Toecutter1978 » Thu Nov 17, 2016 8:07 am

Frailer wrote:Absolute bullshit--both the whiner-coddling and the bill that aims to punish it.

Yep. The school will burn through funds earmarked for important tasks like the natural science department for this stuff, like what UofL is doing.

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

Frailer
KAC Member
KAC Member

Post by Frailer » Thu Nov 17, 2016 11:51 am

WLJ wrote:
Frailer wrote:
From another thread:

One is a shut the hell up, you're acting like fools statement. The other is a statement of solidarity with people who are the fools.
One is funny is a ha ha way, the other is funny in a you got to be kidding way.

If you can't see the difference I can't help you.
I can certainly see a difference, but that difference isn't substantive. Both are examples of one group of people telling another group of people how they ought to act. My parents can do that...my religion can do that...but I'll be damned if anyone else can.

Edited to add: my wife can also tell me. And does.

Rem700
KAC Member
KAC Member

Post by Rem700 » Thu Nov 17, 2016 12:13 pm

If gov funds are being used then the gov can tell them how high to jump.

Frailer
KAC Member
KAC Member

Post by Frailer » Thu Nov 17, 2016 6:44 pm

Rem700 wrote:If gov funds are being used then the gov can tell them how high to jump.
Not unless the funds came with a string. Besides, it would be impossible to prove what flavor of money was used for what. It's silly and completely unenforceable. More importantly, trying to push this through Congress would waste more taxpayer funds than it would save.

But it makes right-wingers feel better. Just like Boxer's bill is aimed at making left-wingers feel better.

Everybody loves it when the government is on their side...and hates it when it's on the other side. I choose to hate it when it takes either side.

Rem700
KAC Member
KAC Member

Post by Rem700 » Thu Nov 17, 2016 7:18 pm

Fair point

Return to “Legal/Politics/Religious”