Shooting at Ft. Hood again

Want to discuss politics, religious affairs, legal items, this would be the place. Keep the discourse civil please.
WLJ
KAC Member
KAC Member
Has liked: 11 times
Been liked: 110 times

Shooting at Ft. Hood again

Post by WLJ » Wed Apr 02, 2014 6:49 pm

A bit thin on details so far

Shooting with casualties reported at Ft. Hood
http://www.foxnews.com/us/2014/04/02/sh ... t-ft-hood/
There are criminals among us who are both homicidal and incorrigible. Their parents took a shot at civilizing them and failed. Their school teachers took a shot at them and failed. The odds are overwhelming that government welfare programs and penal institutions took a shot at them and failed. If it ever becomes your turn to take a shot at them, don’t fail.

drifter0069
KAC Member
KAC Member
Has liked: 0
Been liked: 0

Re: Shooting at Ft. Hood again

Post by drifter0069 » Wed Apr 02, 2014 7:06 pm

Didnt they just release a possible jihadist who was planning on a fort hood attack? I saw a few articles about that the other day, but blew them off.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N900A using Tapatalk

ssracer
KAC Member
KAC Member
Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 61 times

Post by ssracer » Wed Apr 02, 2014 7:08 pm

Can someone explain to me how we can entrust our military personnel with all manor weapons on the battlefield, then deny them even a damn side arm when they are on base at home?

ssracer
KAC Member
KAC Member

Post by ssracer » Wed Apr 02, 2014 7:09 pm

Can someone explain to me how we can entrust our military personnel with all manor weapons on the battlefield, then deny them even a damn side arm when they are on base at home?

WLJ
KAC Member
KAC Member

Post by WLJ » Wed Apr 02, 2014 7:13 pm

Local news reports one dead 8 injured.
There are criminals among us who are both homicidal and incorrigible. Their parents took a shot at civilizing them and failed. Their school teachers took a shot at them and failed. The odds are overwhelming that government welfare programs and penal institutions took a shot at them and failed. If it ever becomes your turn to take a shot at them, don’t fail.

drifter0069
KAC Member
KAC Member

Post by drifter0069 » Wed Apr 02, 2014 7:14 pm

ssracer wrote:Can someone explain to me how we can entrust our military personnel with all manor weapons on the battlefield, then deny them even a damn side arm when they are on base at home?
Yeah, that is the dumbest policy ever. Our nations defenders, some of the best trained, cant have a firearm.

WLJ
KAC Member
KAC Member

Post by WLJ » Wed Apr 02, 2014 7:26 pm

They're reporting the shooter is dead

Bama

Post by Bama » Wed Apr 02, 2014 7:40 pm

FBI was investigating a possible "soldier" with ties to extreme jihadist groups.
Sad to hear this happens in our own military bases. And I agree, all members of military should be permitted a sidearm while on base.
Kingdom Concealment
Matthew 23:12 - And whosoever shall exalt himself shall be humbled; and whosoever shall humble himself shall be exalted.

Bama

Post by Bama » Wed Apr 02, 2014 7:40 pm

FBI was investigating a possible "soldier" with ties to extreme jihadist groups.
Sad to hear this happens in our own military bases. And I agree, all members of military should be permitted a sidearm while on base.
Kingdom Concealment
Matthew 23:12 - And whosoever shall exalt himself shall be humbled; and whosoever shall humble himself shall be exalted.

ChopperDoc
KAC Member
KAC Member
Been liked: 1 time

Post by ChopperDoc » Wed Apr 02, 2014 7:46 pm

drifter0069 wrote:
ssracer wrote:Can someone explain to me how we can entrust our military personnel with all manor weapons on the battlefield, then deny them even a damn side arm when they are on base at home?
Yeah, that is the dumbest policy ever. Our nations defenders, some of the best trained, cant have a firearm.

SOME of them the best trained...

I am not certain some of the people that attended ranges I was the OIC of should have been allowed to look at weapons, certainly not carry them.
"You rarely rise to the occasion, you usually just sink to your lowest level of training."

Frailer
KAC Member
KAC Member

Post by Frailer » Wed Apr 02, 2014 7:59 pm

ChopperDoc wrote:
drifter0069 wrote:

SOME of them the best trained...

I am not certain some of the people that attended ranges I was the OIC of should have been allowed to look at weapons, certainly not carry them.
This.

As a company commander I had to relieve more than one soldier of their *car keys* because they couldn't be trusted with them.

Military installations are entities unto themselves, and normal civil rights don 't always apply. While I agree there should be a process by which an individual should be able to be certified to carry weapons off-duty, I would not support blanket approval.

Dave1965
KAC Member
KAC Member
Been liked: 23 times

Post by Dave1965 » Wed Apr 02, 2014 8:27 pm

4 dead 14 injured, new update from Fox

Frailer
KAC Member
KAC Member

Post by Frailer » Wed Apr 02, 2014 8:32 pm

Apparently the shooter's name was Ivan Lopez.

Current rumor is that it was a "soldier dispute."

ssracer
KAC Member
KAC Member

Post by ssracer » Wed Apr 02, 2014 8:42 pm

Not sure I buy that rumor

ssracer
KAC Member
KAC Member

Post by ssracer » Wed Apr 02, 2014 8:42 pm

Not sure I buy that rumor

WLJ
KAC Member
KAC Member

Post by WLJ » Wed Apr 02, 2014 8:43 pm

CNN is reporting Obama is heartbroken over the shooting, bet he still doesn't know where Benghazi is.

Frailer
KAC Member
KAC Member

Post by Frailer » Wed Apr 02, 2014 9:17 pm

ssracer wrote:Not sure I buy that rumor
Why not?

Not saying it's true, but most shootings on military bases are soldier/soldier or soldier/spouse.

ChopperDoc
KAC Member
KAC Member
Been liked: 1 time

Post by ChopperDoc » Wed Apr 02, 2014 9:49 pm

Frailer wrote:
ssracer wrote:Not sure I buy that rumor
Why not?

Not saying it's true, but most shootings on military bases are soldier/soldier or soldier/spouse.

Yep.

I spent a couple days searching a garbage dump near Killeen Tx when a soldier decided to kill and dismember his wife, dumping body parts in dumpsters all over Killeen.

The guy was a soldier, they are saying. Could actually be a workplace shooting this time. Too early to say for sure either way.
"You rarely rise to the occasion, you usually just sink to your lowest level of training."

WLJ
KAC Member
KAC Member

Post by WLJ » Wed Apr 02, 2014 10:39 pm

http://abcnews.go.com/Blotter/shooting- ... d=23166944
Law enforcement sources told ABC News the firearm used by the assailant was a semi-automatic .45 caliber Smith & Wesson handgun. ATF is conducting an urgent trace of the gun, which is standard protocol in these types of incidents.

mtchbrian
KAC Member
KAC Member
Has liked: 2 times
Been liked: 8 times

Post by mtchbrian » Thu Apr 03, 2014 7:45 am

ultimately the shooter is solely to blame, but i can't help but wonder if the WTU could've done more. I've seen first hand how screwed up the system is. It doesn't do an adequate job of treating the soldiers in the WTU. The medicate them beyond belief and take them to appointments. they need more than the scheduled time to be treated. some of these soldiers need constant help, both mentally and physically. without it, depression and a sense of helplessness sets in. they feel abondoned lots of times becuase they are seperated from their units and families. Someone needs to fix the WTU and get these soldiers the help they need.
Proud husband, father of 3, Iraqi Freedom Veteran, and Operation New Dawn veteran.

Dave1965
KAC Member
KAC Member
Been liked: 23 times

Post by Dave1965 » Thu Apr 03, 2014 9:04 am

mtchbrian wrote:ultimately the shooter is solely to blame, but i can't help but wonder if the WTU could've done more. I've seen first hand how screwed up the system is. It doesn't do an adequate job of treating the soldiers in the WTU. The medicate them beyond belief and take them to appointments. they need more than the scheduled time to be treated. some of these soldiers need constant help, both mentally and physically. without it, depression and a sense of helplessness sets in. they feel abondoned lots of times becuase they are seperated from their units and families. Someone needs to fix the WTU and get these soldiers the help they need.

I agree, but I always wonder what difference is in today's generation and that of WW2 who were involved in things intimately more and longer with no help.

rustynuts
KAC Member
KAC Member
Has liked: 47 times
Been liked: 82 times

Post by rustynuts » Thu Apr 03, 2014 10:02 am

Dave1965 wrote:
mtchbrian wrote:ultimately the shooter is solely to blame, but i can't help but wonder if the WTU could've done more. I've seen first hand how screwed up the system is. It doesn't do an adequate job of treating the soldiers in the WTU. The medicate them beyond belief and take them to appointments. they need more than the scheduled time to be treated. some of these soldiers need constant help, both mentally and physically. without it, depression and a sense of helplessness sets in. they feel abondoned lots of times becuase they are seperated from their units and families. Someone needs to fix the WTU and get these soldiers the help they need.

I agree, but I always wonder what difference is in today's generation and that of WW2 who were involved in things intimately more and longer with no help.
The WW2 generation was far less pampered, pandered to and coddled. They were raised to accept and learn from failure, not be rewarded for it. They were taught that the world wasn't fair, not have their world rearranged in the name of fairness.

Frailer
KAC Member
KAC Member

Post by Frailer » Thu Apr 03, 2014 10:43 am

According to one of my contacts at Hood (an officer in the same brigade) the soldier wasn't in the WTU; he was in a transportation battalion, although he was undergoing mental health treatment.

jackalo626
Global Mod
Global Mod
Has liked: 20 times
Been liked: 22 times

Post by jackalo626 » Thu Apr 03, 2014 11:07 am

rustynuts wrote:
Dave1965 wrote:

The WW2 generation was far less pampered, pandered to and coddled. They were raised to accept and learn from failure, not be rewarded for it. They were taught that the world wasn't fair, not have their world rearranged in the name of fairness.
i second this. I also say this exact reason is most of the United States problems core.

mtchbrian
KAC Member
KAC Member
Has liked: 2 times
Been liked: 8 times

Post by mtchbrian » Fri Apr 04, 2014 7:32 am

jackalo626 wrote:
rustynuts wrote:
Dave1965 wrote:

i second this. I also say this exact reason is most of the United States problems core.
i agree too. most americans are not able to deal with defeat or learn from a harsh reality. when their worlds get turned up side down they freak out and shut down. there needs to be a way to harden these young folk up for the big bad world. for soldiers, i think they all should go thru SERE training. I myself have begged my chain of command for this course. It would be a way to sort out the weak from the strong(mentally). I also think we need to do more realistc training. make these pukes think on their feet more instead of relying on technology and a damn computer. if that shit breaks, man up and continue mission.
Proud husband, father of 3, Iraqi Freedom Veteran, and Operation New Dawn veteran.

Return to “Legal/Politics/Religious”