News Flash: Mother Jones Magazine is against shooting kids

Want to discuss politics, religious affairs, legal items, this would be the place. Keep the discourse civil please.
Kadnine
KAC Member
KAC Member
Has liked: 0
Been liked: 0

News Flash: Mother Jones Magazine is against shooting kids

Post by Kadnine » Thu May 02, 2013 11:29 am

http://www.motherjones.com/mojo/2013/05 ... eting-kids
crickett630-top.jpg
crickett630-top.jpg (41.11 KiB) Viewed 608 times
Here's How the Rifle That Just Killed a 2-Year-Old Girl Is Marketed for Kids

On Tuesday, inside a rural Kentucky home, a five-year-old boy accidentally shot and killed his two-year-old sister. The boy had been playing with a .22 caliber single-shot Crickett rifle made and marketed for kids. The children's mother was reportedly outside the house when the shooting took place, and apparently didn't know that the gun contained a shell.

"Just one of those crazy accidents," said the Cumberland County coroner, according to the Lexington Herald-Leader.

Clearly the issue of parental responsibility is at the center of this tragedy. But against the backdrop of the Newtown massacre and ongoing national debate over regulating firearms, it also points back to the big business of guns—including how the industry profits from products aimed at children.
See what the author did there? "Clearly the issue of parental responsibility is at the center of this tragedy. But..." Knowing pro-gun folks will counter his emotional argument for more gun control, he acknowledges the point about responsibility and adds, "But..."

Also, the phrase, "products aimed at children" I thought was especially clever. Mark Follman? Clearly a hack to be reckoned with.

- Keith
~~~

"'...what it is to be a bondservant thou knowest full well, but of freedom thou hast never yet made trial, to know whether it be a sweet thing or not. For if ever thou hadst experience thereof, thou wouldest counsel us to fight for it not with spears only but with axes.' Thus the Spartans answered Hydarnes." - Herodotus

~~~

WLJ
KAC Member
KAC Member
Has liked: 11 times
Been liked: 110 times

Re: News Flash: Mother Jones Magazine is against shooting ki

Post by WLJ » Thu May 02, 2013 11:52 am

Ban parents

Filicide: Parents killing their children; 51 percent of all murdered children are killed by their parents
http://www.allvoices.com/contributed-ne ... ir-parents

oh wait, they're already doing that.
There are criminals among us who are both homicidal and incorrigible. Their parents took a shot at civilizing them and failed. Their school teachers took a shot at them and failed. The odds are overwhelming that government welfare programs and penal institutions took a shot at them and failed. If it ever becomes your turn to take a shot at them, don’t fail.

Kadnine
KAC Member
KAC Member

Post by Kadnine » Thu May 02, 2013 12:13 pm

I try not to get involved in politics on FaceBook, but I've been seeing this article pop up over there. What's annoying to me is the assumption that pro-gun = "doesn't care about kids." I hate that. We're all genetically hard-wired to care for children. MJ's attempted power grab of the moral high ground with his implied, "Agree with me or yer against kids" is what I find offensive.

Why do they (gun control advocates) feel so comfortable doing that? That "Ends justify the means" mentality? I'm beyond frustrated. I'd *love* to get just as emotional and scream bloody murder at the gun-control advocates, sink to their level. Use their own tactics against them.

But that would defeat what sets us apart.

- K
~~~

"'...what it is to be a bondservant thou knowest full well, but of freedom thou hast never yet made trial, to know whether it be a sweet thing or not. For if ever thou hadst experience thereof, thou wouldest counsel us to fight for it not with spears only but with axes.' Thus the Spartans answered Hydarnes." - Herodotus

~~~

kyswede
KAC Member
KAC Member
Been liked: 2 times

Post by kyswede » Thu May 02, 2013 4:37 pm

The Crickett rifle has a push-button lock that keeps the bolt from closing. I bought one for my grandson when he was 6. The rifle is kept in my safe. I am the only person who knows the combination and I keep the key for the Crickett with me at all times.
Cutting grass is the price I gladly pay for not being cold.

Kadnine
KAC Member
KAC Member

Post by Kadnine » Thu May 02, 2013 5:08 pm

kyswede gets it.

- K
~~~

~~~

Vividia
KAC Member
KAC Member
Been liked: 1 time

Post by Vividia » Thu May 02, 2013 6:30 pm

This is not a case of a gun company doing bad things.

This is a case of parental abandonment of responsibility.
Mexican Kerry wrote:Except for Viv. I predict she will be the leader of a group that roams the countryside pillaging for survival.
It is hardly too strong to say that the Constitution was made to guard the people against the dangers of good intentions. There are men in all ages who mean to govern well, but they mean to govern. They promise to be good masters, but they mean to be masters. - Daniel Webster

Wyldman
KAC Member
KAC Member

Post by Wyldman » Fri May 03, 2013 8:20 am

News flash! I AM AGAIANST MOTHER JONES' EXISTANCE.
IN GOD WE TRUST

"That boy's paradigm don't always add up to four nickels...."

Return to “Legal/Politics/Religious”