Police Scanners

Think of the cool gadgets we all love, this would be the place to post about them.
KDV
Has liked: 0
Been liked: 0

Police Scanners

Post by KDV » Wed Sep 14, 2016 1:07 am

I was in another chatroom and someone provided a link to a streaming police scanner for Jefferson County:

http://www.broadcastify.com/listen/feed/13853

I was curious if anyone here had any experience with police scanners.

Things like reputable brands, digital vs analog - trunking and Phase II (whatever those are?).

I need some schooling because those things look expensive. ;)

Whootsinator
Little Butthole

Re: Police Scanners

Post by Whootsinator » Wed Sep 14, 2016 1:32 am

"Male armed with a knife, fleeing in a brown jacket and t-shirt" within five seconds of opening the stream. Stay crazy, Louisville.
"I don't retreat; I kick ass in the other direction."

Eireguy
Has liked: 17 times
Been liked: 1 time

Post by Eireguy » Wed Sep 14, 2016 8:18 am

If you want to hear the local fire/ems/police in Louisville you will have to get a digital scanner . There is 1 analog channel left that they use . Home patrol is the most common digital scanner that i know of and they aren't cheap . Trunking is where you have a radio on say ch.1 . Well when you transmit it is on 1 freq & when you recieve it is on another . Same radio channel , but two frequencies. Phase 2 is the type of digital encoding that the agencies use now . Analog still carries things like the airport , Coast Guard , trains , cabs & tow trucks etc. & stuff like that. If you do buy one i would look for a preprogrammed one or one that can be programmed by going to a web site & entering your zip code . TRUST ME , if you have never programmed a scanner in your life you dont want to start trying to do a digital one . I did one a couple of years ago for a friend & it almost drove me insane . And ive been listening for decades now .
I use the scanner radio app from google . The only bad thing about an app is that you are at the mercy of whoever is providing the feed and it may not be on what you want to listen to. They may have it on District 1 and you may live in District 4 , stuff like that.
https://www.amazon.com/Uniden-HomePatro ... B00JJY6S72
Last edited by Eireguy on Wed Sep 14, 2016 8:54 am, edited 4 times in total.

Eireguy

Post by Eireguy » Wed Sep 14, 2016 8:38 am

But you get jewels like this https://youtu.be/EIBjJw7oO9c
Nsfw

KDV

Post by KDV » Wed Sep 14, 2016 1:43 pm

Eireguy wrote:If you want to hear the local fire/ems/police in Louisville you will have to get a digital scanner . There is 1 analog channel left that they use . Home patrol is the most common digital scanner that i know of and they aren't cheap . Trunking is where you have a radio on say ch.1 . Well when you transmit it is on 1 freq & when you recieve it is on another . Same radio channel , but two frequencies. Phase 2 is the type of digital encoding that the agencies use now . Analog still carries things like the airport , Coast Guard , trains , cabs & tow trucks etc. & stuff like that. If you do buy one i would look for a preprogrammed one or one that can be programmed by going to a web site & entering your zip code . TRUST ME , if you have never programmed a scanner in your life you dont want to start trying to do a digital one . I did one a couple of years ago for a friend & it almost drove me insane . And ive been listening for decades now .
I use the scanner radio app from google . The only bad thing about an app is that you are at the mercy of whoever is providing the feed and it may not be on what you want to listen to. They may have it on District 1 and you may live in District 4 , stuff like that.
https://www.amazon.com/Uniden-HomePatro ... B00JJY6S72
Thanks for all the info! :D

Mike
KAC Member
KAC Member
Been liked: 5 times

Post by Mike » Wed Sep 14, 2016 2:47 pm

If you do pick up LMPD, you can basically determine where a certain call is based on the call number of the officer.

Usually for beat cops there is a 3 digit number followed by a letter.

An example would be "713C" or "Seven Thirteen Charlie"

The first number is the division, the second is the shift, and the third is the beat. The letter denotes what officer it is, usually starting with A-F(Adam, Baker, Charlie, Edward, Frank, etc..)

So 713C would work in the 7th division daywork on beat three. He would be the third officer for that beat.

If you ever DO hear 713C on the radio, he is by FAR the coolest LMPD cop you will ever hear!
:llama:

Mike
KAC Member
KAC Member
Been liked: 5 times

Post by Mike » Wed Sep 14, 2016 2:48 pm

Oh and if you DO get a scanner, make sure it's not in your car. It's illegal to have a scanner in a vehicle. An IPhone or Android app could also be considered a scanner if you are using the app.
:llama:

son of liberty
KAC Member
KAC Member

Post by son of liberty » Wed Sep 14, 2016 9:32 pm

Go get a ham radio license. The beofung radio will work as a scanner for 30 bucks, plus you can talk on some of the channels if you have a ham ticket.

http://www.ky4ky.com

Eireguy

Post by Eireguy » Wed Sep 14, 2016 11:36 pm

Will a bf do phase 2 & trunking ?

PDM
KAC Member
KAC Member
Has liked: 87 times
Been liked: 44 times

Post by PDM » Thu Sep 15, 2016 8:41 am

Eireguy wrote:Will a bf do phase 2 & trunking ?
No. They are strictly analog and are not tracking
The Kenwood TK-5310 is a good digital handheld, but it's not $30
"The unlimited power of the sword is not in the hands of either the federal or the state governments, but, where I trust in God it will ever remain, in the hands of the people."
Tench Coxe

Winner
KAC Member
KAC Member

Post by Winner » Sun Sep 18, 2016 12:36 pm

Mike wrote:If you do pick up LMPD, you can basically determine where a certain call is based on the call number of the officer.

Usually for beat cops there is a 3 digit number followed by a letter.

An example would be "713C" or "Seven Thirteen Charlie"

The first number is the division, the second is the shift, and the third is the beat. The letter denotes what officer it is, usually starting with A-F(Adam, Baker, Charlie, Edward, Frank, etc..)

So 713C would work in the 7th division daywork on beat three. He would be the third officer for that beat.

If you ever DO hear 713C on the radio, he is by FAR the coolest LMPD cop you will ever hear!

What is the book ? You hear people going to or coming from the book. And what is 10-85 ?

KDV

Post by KDV » Mon Sep 19, 2016 12:59 am

I believe they may be saying 'the Brooke'. That's a drug treatment center.

I'm also curious as to what 10-85 means.

Dave1965
KAC Member
KAC Member
Been liked: 23 times

Post by Dave1965 » Mon Sep 19, 2016 8:35 am

KDV wrote:I believe they may be saying 'the Brooke'. That's a drug treatment center.

I'm also curious as to what 10-85 means.
google says 10-85 means a Arrival Delay due to a _____ .

Insert appropriate cause/item into the space.

Return to “Other guy stuff”