Surface pro 3?

Think of the cool gadgets we all love, this would be the place to post about them.
Toecutter1978
KAC Member
KAC Member
Has liked: 0
Been liked: 14 times

Surface pro 3?

Post by Toecutter1978 » Thu Mar 12, 2015 2:26 am

So I am in the market and wondering who has one? How do you like it, pros/cons? The OneNote and active stylus really looks helpful, especially for school. The model I'm thinking about is the i5 128GB. I know you have to buy the keyboard separate.

Toecutter1978
KAC Member
KAC Member

Re: Surface pro 3?

Post by Toecutter1978 » Thu Mar 12, 2015 7:34 am

So far, the least expensive I have found it is $1,168, that includes the surface pro 3 i5 128GB, pro type cover, a case, office 365 personal(which I do not need, I already have an office 365 university account) and an extended warranty.

Toecutter1978
KAC Member
KAC Member

Surface pro 3?

Post by Toecutter1978 » Thu Mar 12, 2015 9:04 am

I have an old 15" Lenovo that has served me well for years. This was my computer before the VA issued laptop that I received a refund on due to the warranty company not able to repair it. It's getting tired, and has started crashing frequently. I took it in, thinking it could be repaired. After discussing what I'm doing with it when it crashes with the tech, he stated in just pushing the processor to far with what I'm doing. Have you ever been attempting to write a research paper with multiple sources and have to slow down due to too much multi tasking. It's frustrating, I should only need to worry about the paper's profoundness, not when my equipment will fail again. I'm just glad word auto saves, I imagine others get caught up in the heat of productivity and manually saving is not always done when it should.

I keep coming back and writing more, I have no idea what I'm expecting to receive in responses. I'm hesitant in making the purchase, but I really need a new computer fast. I have 4 major papers due too soon. I just want to purchase something that will help me be as productive as possible. The price is steep, but worth it, I just don't like purchasing items over $75 without over-analyzing the situation till I drive myself batty. Just one more stressor added to the mix.

Dave1965
KAC Member
KAC Member
Been liked: 23 times

Post by Dave1965 » Thu Mar 12, 2015 9:33 am

It always amazes me how we used to write researched papers in college. With books and a typewriter. Oh well, at least it wasn't stone and a chisel...lol.

I don't know much about these Onenotes but bought my son a new Lenovo Edge Touchscreen for like 699 at Best Buy for Christmas. He did the research for what he needed and wanted and we decided he needed it because he is a sophomore in college and he had the old one since a freshman in High School. Haven't heard anything negative from him yet.

rustynuts
KAC Member
KAC Member
Has liked: 46 times
Been liked: 78 times

Post by rustynuts » Thu Mar 12, 2015 10:14 am

Microsoft has refurbs with full warranty for sale on eBay. Why Microsoft chose ebay is beyond me, but looks to be a few hundred cheaper. Not sure what's included but it may be worth checking out.

http://m.ebay.com/itm/281605496618?_mwB ... rmvSB=true

WLJ
KAC Member
KAC Member
Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 109 times

Post by WLJ » Thu Mar 12, 2015 11:11 am

Toecutter1978 wrote:So I am in the market and wondering who has one? How do you like it, pros/cons? The OneNote and active stylus really looks helpful, especially for school. The model I'm thinking about is the i5 128GB. I know you have to buy the keyboard separate.
You're paying big bucks for the thinness, if you don't mind something a bit thicker you can get a much more powerful laptop for a lot less $$$$$. Stick a SSD into it and it will extend the battery life to close to what you'll get with a tablet and greatly decrease program load time. I get around 8-10 hours with my 13.3" laptop and people have reported getting 15-17 hours after sticking a SSD into it. Paid $480 for it less than a year ago.
There are criminals among us who are both homicidal and incorrigible. Their parents took a shot at civilizing them and failed. Their school teachers took a shot at them and failed. The odds are overwhelming that government welfare programs and penal institutions took a shot at them and failed. If it ever becomes your turn to take a shot at them, don’t fail.

Toecutter1978
KAC Member
KAC Member

Post by Toecutter1978 » Thu Mar 12, 2015 11:57 am

rustynuts wrote:Microsoft has refurbs with full warranty for sale on eBay. Why Microsoft chose ebay is beyond me, but looks to be a few hundred cheaper. Not sure what's included but it may be worth checking out.

http://m.ebay.com/itm/281605496618?_mwB ... rmvSB=true
Wow!! That's way less expensive. I did not even think about ebay. Thank you!

Toecutter1978
KAC Member
KAC Member

Post by Toecutter1978 » Thu Mar 12, 2015 12:04 pm

WLJ wrote:
Toecutter1978 wrote:So I am in the market and wondering who has one? How do you like it, pros/cons? The OneNote and active stylus really looks helpful, especially for school. The model I'm thinking about is the i5 128GB. I know you have to buy the keyboard separate.
You're paying big bucks for the thinness, if you don't mind something a bit thicker you can get a much more powerful laptop for a lot less $$$$$. Stick a SSD into it and it will extend the battery life to close to what you'll get with a tablet and greatly decrease program load time. I get around 8-10 hours with my 13.3" laptop and people have reported getting 15-17 hours after sticking a SSD into it. Paid $480 for it less than a year ago.
That's way less, the only other computer out there currently that does the active stylus is a HP, and they run the same price. After experimenting with a surface for a bit, that OneNote program is amazing. Also the touch screen really uses windows 8 to its maximum potential. I've used windows 8 on a traditional clam shell laptop and it's like working with a split personality. Only if I could find something that was similar but cheaper.

WLJ
KAC Member
KAC Member

Post by WLJ » Thu Mar 12, 2015 12:11 pm

Toecutter1978 wrote:
WLJ wrote:
That's way less, the only other computer out there currently that does the active stylus is a HP, and they run the same price. After experimenting with a surface for a bit, that OneNote program is amazing. Also the touch screen really uses windows 8 to its maximum potential. I've used windows 8 on a traditional clam shell laptop and it's like working with a split personality. Only if I could find something that was similar but cheaper.
You want touch screen? Many laptops have had touchscreens way before w8.
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.a ... 6R42C50443

And as far as Win 8 goes MS is offering free Win 10 upgrade for w7 & w8 when it comes out later this year.
There are criminals among us who are both homicidal and incorrigible. Their parents took a shot at civilizing them and failed. Their school teachers took a shot at them and failed. The odds are overwhelming that government welfare programs and penal institutions took a shot at them and failed. If it ever becomes your turn to take a shot at them, don’t fail.

Toecutter1978
KAC Member
KAC Member

Post by Toecutter1978 » Thu Mar 12, 2015 12:30 pm

They are? That's really cool. That is one nice machine. I just wish it ran the OneNote. That one program is a game changer, I bet other manufactures will be coming out with it on their next platforms.

WLJ
KAC Member
KAC Member

Post by WLJ » Thu Mar 12, 2015 12:35 pm

'You want Onenote? Free download http://www.onenote.com/

Toecutter1978
KAC Member
KAC Member

Post by Toecutter1978 » Thu Mar 12, 2015 12:50 pm

You guys are amazing. Either route I go, you both have saved me some serious money. Thank you. Now I just need to dive in to see if that the active stylus will work on one of those laptops. Thanks!!!

Toecutter1978
KAC Member
KAC Member

Post by Toecutter1978 » Thu Mar 12, 2015 2:43 pm

WLJ wrote:
Toecutter1978 wrote:
WLJ wrote:
You want touch screen? Many laptops have had touchscreens way before w8.
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.a ... 6R42C50443

And as far as Win 8 goes MS is offering free Win 10 upgrade for w7 & w8 when it comes out later this year.
That's great they will replace windows 8, do you have a link that that by chance?

Toecutter1978
KAC Member
KAC Member

Post by Toecutter1978 » Thu Mar 12, 2015 2:46 pm

Vividia
KAC Member
KAC Member
Been liked: 1 time

Post by Vividia » Thu Mar 12, 2015 8:19 pm

I have a Asus iconia and really like it. Came with Bluetooth keyboard in a case but tablet can be used without it. Can plug in USB mouse if needed for serious work. Can't remember which video chipset is in it but I have played Everquest on it (don't laugh I have been playing for 11 years lol) Runs windows 8. Solid state drive 4 gig memory etc. HDMI video out have used it to run on demand hi Def TV streaming wireless from internet. They have several models and wwwwaaaayyy cheaper than surface.
Mexican Kerry wrote:Except for Viv. I predict she will be the leader of a group that roams the countryside pillaging for survival.
It is hardly too strong to say that the Constitution was made to guard the people against the dangers of good intentions. There are men in all ages who mean to govern well, but they mean to govern. They promise to be good masters, but they mean to be masters. - Daniel Webster

Toecutter1978
KAC Member
KAC Member

Post by Toecutter1978 » Thu Mar 12, 2015 11:14 pm

Well I ordered the surface off ebay, thanks Rustynuts, I purchased the surface and keyboard cover separate, it was less expensive that way instead of the bundle. Go figure. With a warranty through Microsoft store the total $1049.99. I know I could have gotten something less expensive, but all the other 2n1's could not run the OneNote full program. That active stylus is nice. The pen controls it so well. If you haven't played with one, stop by bestbuy or the microsoft store. Also, I did not know you could talk to it and it will type. The stylus makes it like truly writing on paper, other touchscreens if you are using a stylus and you lay your wrist on the screen it will not operate correctly. The surface does.

Return to “Other guy stuff”